Need a trailering primer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluetick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The last Ram truck I owned didn't have all the fancy trailering gizmos in it. The one I have now has a trailer brake controller, and a diesel exhaust brake. I'm a bit confused about how to use them together. After I set the gain on the brake controller for a specific trailer and save it on the u-connect, do I simply press the exhaust brake button, put it on automatic, and leave it for the whole ride?

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
First off do you have the manual for the truck? The operation of these features is explained pretty well in there. But basically I only use my truck for the purpose of hauling my RV. So yes you need to set the type of trailer brake set up into the U connect. Mine is always set to heavy electric. As soon as the truck senses the trailer connected(electric brakes only), it will ask you to select correct brake type. And then turn on the exhaust brake. There are two settings on the exhaust brake. First setting is full on, so as soon as you let off the gas pedal the braking is activated. Push the brake button again, this second setting activates the braking feature only when you depress the brake pedal.
Heck the exhaust brake works so well, I use it quite often even when I am not towing. It needs to be exercised anyway to keep the carbon build up off the turbo.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Good explanation by SP. On top of that, you have the ability to manually select gears and you have Tow-Haul mode. When pulling, run in Tow Haul, this holds up shifts longer, and downshifts sooner. With manual gear limit you can increase engine braking by quite a bit. It takes a little practice and experimentation to use all of this effectively, but with the exception of coming to a full stop, you should rarely if ever have to use the actual brakes.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good explanation by SP. On top of that, you have the ability to manually select gears and you have Tow-Haul mode. When pulling, run in Tow Haul, this holds up shifts longer, and downshifts sooner.
Actually, the owners manual only says to use Tow/Haul mode if the tranny is doing a lot of shifting on its own, otherwise known as gear hunting. I have found my towing MPG is better when it is off, so there's no sense using it if it's not needed, IMO. I do use it when pulling in the hillier areas here in the Ozarks or when I'm pulling through the Rockies. But otherwise I rarely have it on.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Actually, the owners manual only says to use Tow/Haul mode if the tranny is doing a lot of shifting on its own, otherwise known as gear hunting. I have found my towing MPG is better when it is off, so there's no sense using it if it's not needed, IMO. I do use it when pulling in the hillier areas here in the Ozarks or when I'm pulling through the Rockies. But otherwise I rarely have it on.
Fair point. I hardly ever pull on flat ground so I run tow haul all the time but you are right that on flat ground you would get better mileage without it. You also probably don't need to manual select gears much on flat ground, so that comment too may not be useful in the OP's situation, but may well be for others.