Need advice on a buy ASAP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
okay heres the deal, 2004 Ram SLT 4x4 Hemi. 133k miles. In very good shape best I can tell. Its throwing a P2314 code but runs fine and the owner has been driving it for several years as a weekend play toy. The code is for a bad coil on number 5. The seller wants 9500$ including bedliner running boards dual exhaust and a toolbox. My question is: is this an easy fix? New plugs wires and coil should resolve the issues based on what I have seen and read. Is this a reason to shy away from this buy?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say its a reasonable deal, but not spectacular, depending on what it takes to repair. I would ask the seller if you can put the truck in a shop to get it fixed and split the bill with him. Take half the bill off the purchase price? At least you get the truck all checked out that way too.
2004 ram 1500 hemi in Dodge | eBay

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, there are some threads about this 'issue' being a dead PCM, not a coil pack.
it's a bit of a gamble, but be prepared, if I understand, PCMs can run upwards of $8-900.

Simple test is to swap coil packs, see if the code / issue moves.

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would the truck still run and drive fine with a bad PCM? Would that not cause misfires and poor performance?

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just looking for opinions on how likely this issue could be the PCM? If the truck is still running a driving ok and not misfiring it leads me to believe it is in the plugs/wires/coils.