Need help choosing a 6 inch!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, getting ready to finalize my plan to lift my 2010 Ram 1500 this summer. Only problem I'm having is deciding on which 6 inch to buy. I'm going to be installing the Zone Heavy Duty UCA kit in combination with a 6 inch suspension lift. Up until now I had planned on the Zone 6" with 5" rear, however there's only one shop in my city that will install a 6 inch with bilsteins and customer supplied parts. They're steep on pricing, I'll admit that. My problem is they won't give me a warranty on customer supplied parts, which I fully understand. However, they want $799 to install one of their lifts (fabtech, Pro Comp, Superlift, etc) and $899 if they install a Zone kit. (They say they're not used to installing Zone lifts on the rams and they're more comfortable with the other kits.) I guess my only problem with the Pro Comp is that it uses a rear coil spacer instead of new coil springs like the Zone and BDS. Any recommendations? Thanks!

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lol.. It's all the same parts, just different quality, warranties, customer service...

So if he can install one, he can install them all. Id be nervous with him under my truck with comments like that..

BDS, Zone, Superlift.... Depends on your budget and needs.

IMO

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
As AustinB said, if they can install a Superlift, they can install a Zone lift no question. They're essentially identical. If they can't look at the parts list and see that they shouldn't be touching your truck. I would go back and talk to them about that and see what they have to say.

Now that being said. You could always go with a 6" Superlift kit from them as it will essentially be the same finished product. I would get a full quote from them for the supply and install of the 6" Superlift kit with Bilsteins and compare it to what it would cost you to get the 6" Zone kit and Bilsteins yourself with their labour to install it.

Sswyers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've had a BDS kit and now I have a Fabtech lift and honestly I can't tell the diff. Both ride awesome and from what I can all welds and pieces are top notch.

OP
OP
ramrunner56

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a BDS kit and now I have a Fabtech lift and honestly I can't tell the diff. Both ride awesome and from what I can all welds and pieces are top notch.
Do you have the basic kit or the dirtlogic coilovers? I'm looking at their basic 6 inch with either the white body shocks or their stealth shocks depending on price. I've seen reviews where they've had problems with the rear coils not giving much lift, have you had that problem?

OP
OP
ramrunner56

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good news - the shop priced out the Fabtech 6" and they can do it for $2,750 installed and aligned, but I can't remember if that was with shipping included. I think I'll have them get the basic 6" with the rear Stealth shocks and maybe lower my bilsteins in the front to 2.5" or even 2.1" since they're at 2.8" right now and it's a pretty stiff ride up front. So my plan right now is 22x14 Moto Metal 962s (cheap wheels I know), 375/45R22 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Fabtech basic 6" with stealth shocks and bilsteins at 2.1-2.5, and Zone Heavy Duty UCA since my ball joints hate me right now. I'm gonna get the front crossmember, coils, rear link arms, and wheels powdercoated white to match the truck. This is a build I've been dreaming about, researching, and saving for almost 2 years. Should look pretty badass once it's done. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

OUMX117

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will you be able to stretch the 275s onto 20x14 Rims? I feel like that might be an issue? I don't have firsthand experience with it though. I am interested to see the finished product!

OP
OP
ramrunner56

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will you be able to stretch the 275s onto 20x14 Rims? I feel like that might be an issue? I don't have firsthand experience with it though. I am interested to see the finished product!
Damn I totally meant to type 375. They're basically 15" wide tires so it'll fit nice

Chase0808

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 1500 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also was looking at a 6" zone kit for the future. I have the bilstein 2.8 shocks as well. Will a 6" kit and the bilsteins at 2.1 lift it a little more than 6"? If so, will the rear be lower?

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I also was looking at a 6" zone kit for the future. I have the bilstein 2.8 shocks as well. Will a 6" kit and the bilsteins at 2.1 lift it a little more than 6"? If so, will the rear be lower?

No, it won't sit front high with the Bilsteins. Basically, the bills will help level out the truck. I have a 6" Zone suspension lift (5" rear coils) with a 1.5" body lift. I didn't install the preloaded spacers as the bils took the place of them. Mine are set at 2.1 and I have around 2 1/2" of rake.

Adam

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Most 6" kits for a 1500's actually provide 5.5" of lift. When using the Bilsteins you won't install the 5/8" preload spacer that comes with the Zone kit as the Bilsteins provide the preload for you. So you're left with 4.875" of lift from the strut spacer plus the 2.1" from the Bilsteins giving you roughly 7" of lift total. Given that the rear lift is 5" (provided you go with the 5" rear coils) then the lift itself will remove 2" of rake. How much rake you end up with depends on how your truck sits stock but it should be between 0.5" and 1".

No, it won't sit front high with the Bilsteins. Basically, the bills will help level out the truck. I have a 6" Zone suspension lift (5" rear coils) with a 1.5" body lift. I didn't install the preloaded spacers as the bils took the place of them. Mine are set at 2.1 and I have around 2 1/2" of rake.

Adam

You shouldn't have near that much rake with the Bilsteins at 2.1". As stated above, it should be sitting at 0.5"-1" of rake. If you still have 2.5" of rake that would mean you had 4.5" of rake stock which is highly unlikely. 3.25" is the highest I've come across.

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So then, is the 4" really a 3.5" with the bills leveling it out to a total of 5"? Or is a 4" lift with bills set to 2.1 give you a full 6"?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So then, is the 4" really a 3.5" with the bills leveling it out to a total of 5"? Or is a 4" lift with bills set to 2.1 give you a full 6"?

A 4" kit actually provides 4" of lift. So yes, a 4" kit with Bilsteins at 2.1" is actually 6.1" of lift (on the front).