Need help w/problems installing steering extension on 3rd gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marlinfshr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
07 4.7 1500 4x4 to be exact.

I am in the process (3rd day tomorrow) of installing a Zone 3" body lift on my half ton Ram. Problem after problem after problem, then a possible big one. My steering, though disconnected would not compress any to put in the extension. The PA instructions (I know, mine is a zone but the instructions are terrible on the zone kit) stated that sometimes it doesn't disconnect until lifting.

Well, here I am with it now lifted and it still didn't disconnect. Tapped it and it came apart. The possible problem is that the shaft now just flops around, it didn't compress any and is still as long as it was, so there is no way for the extension to fit.

Am I royally screwed now? Doesn't the steering shaft need to compress (or not pull out, so there would be room to slip in the extension. It looks like an easy job but it seems impossible. Am I going to need to call a tow truck after I get the front end back together?

Please, I need some advise ASAP as my truck is sitting in pieces in the driveway and I need it for work. I gave myself two days but it looks like it'll be a solid 4 when/if done.

Thanks!

OP
OP
M

marlinfshr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any ideas? The shaft is still connected to the steering wheel as there is movement if I turn the wheel a tad. I know I'm not supposed to but I had to see where my issue is.

It's just that it did not move up with the body so it extended. I need to collapse it back to where it was to fit the extension in.

Any ideas how to go about it. I need this truck yesterday and can't afford a tow and repair. If I have to pay for all that I should have just gone with a suspension lift! Or else perhaps somebody wants an 07 1/2 ton with 80,000 miles for cheap as it doesn't steer! Will probably sell before taking to a shop!

BTW, Zone S.U.C.K.S. I tried calling customer service and there so called tech line was absolutely no help at all. And the instructions that came with the lift were about as bad as they get. Terrible when you have to download another brands (PA) instructions (though still not great) off the net to use on another brands product!

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry dude, no help for ya. Hope someone else knows what to do

OP
OP
M

marlinfshr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All seems to be good now. I'm letting you know because i want to give a shout out to the tech department for Performance Accessories. I know I did not have their kit but the Zone instructions and tech support was absolutely horrible. They went over everthing really clear and friendly at PA. Explained a few options that they had heard, one was to lift the truck back up off the blocks enough to fit in the extension and as the truck was lowered, it would compress the shaft. It looked like that was my best option as the body bolts were still in only be a few threads.

First time it bound because of the angle everything was wanting to go so I lifted it back up and put a ratchet strap from the joint in the steering intermediate shaft to a hole in the frame horn at the second body mount to hold it all in line. Lowered the truck and just watched the shaft compress nicely. I would have never thought of that trick. I need to finish up tomorrow but at least I have the steering issue taken care of. And just a slight movement of the steering wheel goes right to the tire.