Need help with 05 GC 5.7. Bucking/stalling, now studder/miss at speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I apologize for the long post this is going to be in advance. And I apologize that this is not ram related. But being that it is the 5.7 Hemi I am hoping for some help here as a last resort because I havent been able to get nay help on the Jeep forums.

I have an 05 grand Cherokee limited with the 5.7l. 115,000 miles on the clock. We have had it for 4 years and it has been well maintained but has buckled and dimes us every step of the way.

I’m not sure what all will be relevant info to the situation so I’m going to give a break down if the last couple weeks just Incase something is tied to the issue.

About a year ago the airbag light came on, I ended up fixing it by disconnecting the connector under the drivers seat and putting dielectric grease on it. A couple of weeks ago the light came back on, I hooked my blue driver scanner up to it and it had a code for seatbelt pretensioner. I cleared the code and the airbag light went off and stayed off.

Fast forward to 2 days ago, we hopped in the jeep and got a mile down the road and the Jeep started bucking and hesitating and then stalled. Put it in neutral and it fired right up again. Drove it 40 miles out of town and parked it for a few hours and went to leave and and it bucked and hesitated and stalled, fired it right up again and it bucked and stalled again, started up again and drove a little further and it stalled again. Started it up again and it drove the 40 miles back home without issues. The next day I started it up and drove it a mile and this time it didn’t buck or hesitate but stalled while pulling into a drive way. I started it up again and let it idle and after a minute it just stalled again (no warning, just went from running to not running like the ignition switch was turned off). Started it up again and after a
Minute or so of running it stalled once again.

I hooked my scanner back up to it and I had a code for the ege valve (I already knew the edge valve had been bad for about a month or so but it never caused any drivability issues so I hadn’t bothered changing it yet). I also had a stored code for driver door module canB bus - circuit aswell as + circuit. Also had a code for occupant restraint controller of c3800.

So I decided to warranty out the edge valve for a new one. And I had replaced the cam sensor and crank sensor in the past and figured I would warranty those out while I was at it just in case.

Came back home and installed the new edge valve,cam sensor and crank sensor and cleared the codes.
However no matter what I do the C3800 occupant restraint controller code will not erase (I can’t find any info on what this code is even for).

Took the Jeep for a test drive and had no more bucking and stalling issues.

Have since put about 200 miles on the Jeep without any stalling. However, now when cruising at a steady speed (any speed it seems rather it’s 30mph or 70mph) every few seconds I can feel a slight hesitation/miss/studder/surge/chugging. Not sure the best way to explain it. Not sure what the issue could be now and hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Also it still does this even when engaging the haul mode so I don’t believe it to be mds related. I’ve tried multiple fuel fill ups and higher octane so I don’t believe it to be fuel related. I am running 5-w20 as I always have.

The Jeep shifts through all gears smoothly as it always has.

There is probably only 15k-20k miles on the champion plugs I installed.

Put a toaster box on the battery and it tested out around 12.6v and under load dropped just to the edge of weak but still good in my opinion.

Alternator is charging as it should

Pulled pcv and gave it a shake and it is free and rattles.

Air filter was replaced about 10,000 miles ago.

Plug wires were replaced about 50k miles ago.

When I ran my mode6 on my scanner it showed the purge flow solenoid system was slightly out of spec (I didn’t find any cracks in the lines and no dry rotted rubber connections and gas cap is on) and it still shows the egr valve was slightly out of spec however when I ran the smog test it said that it passed which would lead me to believe everything was operational.

After the 200 miles we have put on it there is still no check engine light and I have ran my scanner on it again and the only code still popping up is the c3800 code I previously mentioned.

Scratching my head on this one and my wife puts lots of miles on the Jeep back and forth to work and schooling and our children are with her a lot of the time and I can’t afford to have it breaking down on her and would like to get this fixed before the issue gets any worse.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as much detail as possible to help you guys give the best informed answer you can.

Any help/tips would be very helpful. Thank you!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have you checked your fuel filters?

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you checked your fuel filters?

Yes and this issue started after replacing cam,cranks sensors and egr valve to fix a bucking/stalling issue. But along with the the codes I’m pulling up I’m not sure what’s going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk