Need help with HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off, let me start by saying Jeremy from Retroshop was a real champ through this whole thing and was great to deal with. I would most certainly purchase from him again.

My 2016 Ram Express came with the quad lights. I have since purchased and installed a set of projectors out of a 16' Ram with Retroshop's adapter harness and have the Sylvania ZXE 9005 in the low beam and converted the 9005 highs to the Phillips 9011 HIR. I'm ok with the high beam as it produces pretty good output but the lows are pretty weak.

When I purchased my harness from the Retroshop I also got the 35W morimoto with hylux ballast kit. Installed everything and I got the headlamp out error on my evic display. Checked all the connections by making sure nothing was flipped and grounds were good several times. I even went as far as completely removing the entire kit twice to make sure it was install correctly. After all that I contacted Jeremy and we went through a series of troubleshooting steps with my install as well. He had me check all my connections again and even disconnect the battery a couple times for 30 minutes to reset (??) the canbus. I even went as far as removing the kit entirely and reinstalling after the battery pulls and putting back in my original halogens. With the halogens everything worked as it should. Reinstalled the HID kit and nothing but headlamp out message on evic. At this point I was pretty frustrated and requested a return. Jeremy was gracious enough to let me return the kit and shelved it. He said he was able to hook the kit up at the shop to a 12v source and it worked as it should. It was however not hooked up to a 12v source with a canbus.

Again, I want to state that Jeremy was great to deal with and I have zero issues with him.

So, what can I do here?

Thanks!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So your truck came with halogen lights, you switched to projector lights with the adapter cable and with the genie installed the lower led strip is illuminated as the DRL like mine?

(I have seen several people ask if this will work)

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy the ddm canbus plus kit
Thinking about this kit. Found it doing some searching around.

So your truck came with halogen lights, you switched to projector lights with the adapter cable and with the genie installed the lower led strip is illuminated as the DRL like mine?

(I have seen several people ask if this will work)
Hey JB1! Yes sir, 16' Ram Express with stock quad lights and then switched to projectors with Retroshops adapter harness. Plugged in the genie and the lower led amber strip is my DRL now. Have to admit I was a bit nervous but everything works great. Thanks again!

Edit: Was hoping it was going to add the ability to turn it on/off on my RA4 screen but it didn't. I knew it wouldn't but hoped. lol

Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy the ddm canbus plus kit
Is this the kit you installed?

https://www.amazon.com/DDM-Tuning-P...ds=DDM+Tuning+Plus+35W+Premium+Canbus+HID+Kit

Found another link on Amazon as well but it is not prime and shipping puts it to my door by 6/12. The link above gets it to me by 6/4. Plus the free return because it's fulfilled by Amazon.

Certainly a lot less parts in this kit. Where's all the resistors, relays and capacitors? Not to mention the 10' of missing harness connections.

Reactions: JB1

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

https://www.amazon.com/DDM-Tuning-P...ds=DDM+Tuning+Plus+35W+Premium+Canbus+HID+Kit

Found another link on Amazon as well but it is not prime and shipping puts it to my door by 6/12. The link above gets it to me by 6/4. Plus the free return because it's fulfilled by Amazon.

Certainly a lot less parts in this kit. Where's all the resistors, relays and capacitors? Not to mention the 10' of missing harness connections.

This is the kit I'm running in my 2018 sport...no relays or any extra parts. Just the ballasts and bulbs. No errors or flickering of lights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xentec-AC-...var=520383899476&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the kit I'm running in my 2018 sport...no relays or any extra parts. Just the ballasts and bulbs. No errors or flickering of lights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xentec-AC-CANBUS-HID-Kit-880-9005-9006-H1-H4-H7-H10-H11-H13-5202-6K-xeno-Xenon/221533527104?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=520383899476&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
Now that is cheap! How long have you had it installed? Wondering if there is any differences in the 16' to 18' as far as the canbus and the fact that mine had quad lights originally?

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The link you provided is the same kit I bought a few weeks ago. Like you stated, that one is fulfilled by amazon so you get free returns and a lot faster shipping.
I have a 14 express that I swapped to OEM projectors and retroshops harness.
Everything you need is included in the kit. The capacities/resistors that everyone else adds to their kit is built into the kit. On the wire pig tail that comes out of the ballast is a canbus plus adaptor. It’s a small black box that is fully sealed with 1 connector to attach to your OEM input. Out of the other side of the canbus plus adaptor is a short piece of wire that goes to the ballast. The ballast has a second short wire pigtail that comes out with 2 wires. Those go to your HID bulb. The ballast is slim and comes with everything you need to attach it (screws and washers and nuts). I say short wire pigtails, but it’s plenty to wire it all in and mount the ballasts.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now that is cheap! How long have you had it installed? Wondering if there is any differences in the 16' to 18' as far as the canbus and the fact that mine had quad lights originally?

I've only had it in a couple of weeks. However, I ran the same kit in my 2016 and 2017 trucks and never had any issues. I doubt you will have any issues just because you had the reflector housings originally..

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies everyone! Now to do some more research on reviews.

@JB1 As it turns out, I looked again on my drive out to one of the properties I manage in WV and the option to disable DRL was in the menu screen of the RA4. Wasn’t there when I first installed but now it is!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies everyone! Now to do some more research on reviews.

@JB1 As it turns out, I looked again on my drive out to one of the properties I manage in WV and the option to disable DRL was in the menu screen of the RA4. Wasn’t there when I first installed but now it is!

Excellent

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Decided on DDM Tuning. Ordered Saturday late night and received this morning via Amazon Prime. Install was very straight forward...feel like a pro at this point as many times as I've had everything apart. No issues at all other than when I went to re-pin the passenger side connector I had it reversed.

I've also heard about people cramming everything inside the housing...no way it would work on mine. I couldn't even fit the cover back on without drilling and using the supplied grommet (and I was pushing pretty hard). Overall, I'm pretty pleased so far. Have to wait for tonight to see the output. Also need to do some more research on how people are "clocking" the bulbs? I have a line just below the top of the cutoff line at about the 8 o'clock on the drivers and 4 to 5 o'clock on the passenger side.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Decided on DDM Tuning. Ordered Saturday late night and received this morning via Amazon Prime. Install was very straight forward...feel like a pro at this point as many times as I've had everything apart. No issues at all other than when I went to re-pin the passenger side connector I had it reversed.

I've also heard about people cramming everything inside the housing...no way it would work on mine. I couldn't even fit the cover back on without drilling and using the supplied grommet (and I was pushing pretty hard). Overall, I'm pretty pleased so far. Have to wait for tonight to see the output. Also need to do some more research on how people are "clocking" the bulbs? I have a line just below the top of the cutoff line at about the 8 o'clock on the drivers and 4 to 5 o'clock on the passenger side.

I'm going to adjust mine tomorrow. I didn't know about this whole "clocking" thing. From my understanding, you LOOSEN then 3 screws on the back of the plastic part that actually holds your headlight in. Once you do that, then you can rotate the HID bulb to the correct position. Then you tighten the screws back down and it'll secure the bulb in place. That's going to be my project tomorrow.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to adjust mine tomorrow. I didn't know about this whole "clocking" thing. From my understanding, you LOOSEN then 3 screws on the back of the plastic part that actually holds your headlight in. Once you do that, then you can rotate the HID bulb to the correct position. Then you tighten the screws back down and it'll secure the bulb in place. That's going to be my project tomorrow.
That’s correct. I ended up counting the amount of turns as I backed them out. I did this because I noticed little black marks (like sharpie) on the screw heads all pointing outwards. Tightened back up and made sure I was putting equal tension on all sides. Might not be necessary but figured it couldn’t hurt. I did notice on my first attempt the drivers side was way darker than the passenger. So I took everything back apart and tightened the top side screws (might have been bottom can’t remeber) a little extra and it seemed to help out. If that makes sense.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s correct. I ended up counting the amount of turns as I backed them out. I did this because I noticed little black marks (like sharpie) on the screw heads all pointing outwards. Tightened back up and made sure I was putting equal tension on all sides. Might not be necessary but figured it couldn’t hurt. I did notice on my first attempt the drivers side was way darker than the passenger. So I took everything back apart and tightened the top side screws (might have been bottom can’t remeber) a little extra and it seemed to help out. If that makes sense.

Makes sense - I'm going to mess with mine tomorrow and see if it helps anything.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca