Exhaust Leak Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cannan50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3500 Diesel
I found out I have an emissions leak in my 2019 Ram 3500 Diesel Limited. I'm at 73K miles so out of warranty. Dealer found the leak and said I needed a new gasket and clamp at downpipe. They want $1,300 to fix. I'd like to do this myself. I've got the parts that I need shown in the picture. I've gotten the old clamp off. Pictured is the old clamp still installed. I'm trying to figure out how to get these pipes apart without taking out the whole DPF filter off. Is this possible? Does anyone have a video of this gasket and clamp being replaced? Any help would be appreciated.

20231103_161840.jpg20231103_172449.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Biggest challenge is going to be separating the two enough to replace the gasket. May need to use a ratchet strap to pull on the DPF just enough to make a gap.

That doesn't look like much of a leak that's there, was the truck brought in for a problem that the leak was causing? (Like a noise or smell?)

OP
OP
C

cannan50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3500 Diesel
I've been hearing a very sharp whining noise when I let off the gas pedal. Sounded like the turbo whine. I took it in for emission test and they told me I had a leak in the exhaust and he said that likely is the sound I'm hearing. Took it to the dealer and they confirmed with a picture of that area. I can see black **** around that area which I assume is exhaust. Was also smelling major exhaust inside the truck anytime I ran the heater.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I've been hearing a very sharp whining noise when I let off the gas pedal.
I'm going to guess it's not an exhaust leak your hearing as it would get louder the more you accelerated.
If the whining happens just after letting off the accelerator then goes away till the next time, I'm going to say your hearing a VGT "farting", that is where the exhaust back pressure pushes back through the turbo because the vanes opened up to relieve boost pressure. Changing that gasket probably won't change that noise.