Need input for amplifier installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the 6 speaker non alpine sound system. I have recently swapped out the dash and door speakers and I have decided that I want to add a 4 channel amp to power the 4 door speakers and run the dash speakers off the factory head unit for better balance (I tried adding 4 ohm 10w resistors to the 3.5" kickers I recently installed and they are still too bright for my liking, and I am not getting enough volume out of the new 6x9's). I have several questions before I start ordering product.

1 -I am looking at using an audiocontrol lc2i line output converter. Which speakers are best to tap off of, the front or rear channels? I plan on running a 4 channel amp off the lc2i to power the door speakers and also a mono amp to power some subs.

2 -I plan to run a pioneer gm-d1004 amp to the 4 door speakers. Using a combination of the lc2i and this amp will I run into issues with the radio not sending signal due to a lack of resistance?

Thank you for the help!

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another option would be to add a signal processor (DSP) instead of the LC2i and be able to control each speaker’s volume and tone individually.

Ideally you would want a six channel amp that would take care of four doors and dash speakers. Do you already own the Pioneer amp?

This is a newly released unit that is only $150. They are selling fast but are still in stock as far as I can tell.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...home-and-car-audio--230-500#lblProductDetails

OP
OP
Mike77

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another option would be to add a signal processor (DSP) instead of the LC2i and be able to control each speaker’s volume and tone individually.

Ideally you would want a six channel amp that would take care of four doors and dash speakers. Do you already own the Pioneer amp?

This is a newly released unit that is only $150. They are selling fast but are still in stock as far as I can tell.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...home-and-car-audio--230-500#lblProductDetails
I haven't purchased the pioneer amp yet or the lc2i. Both those items were suggested by Crutchfield. I do already have the mono amp and subs. I'll check that unit out, thank you.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perfect, that DSP has 8 outputs so it would control your entire system.

How loud do you like to play your music?

OP
OP
Mike77

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on the day, but usually through my phone I'm in the 25-32 range or 20-25 though xm radio (xm comes in a lot louder for some reason). I do like it loud. My door speakers are 4 ohm rated 45 watts rms and the dash are 4 ohm 15 watts rms.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I agree, a six channel is the way to go

you could do a mid in the dash and use a component in the front doors and leave the back stock for now

I can vouch for the JL XD600/6v2 , It kicks some serious ass

Ton's of Mono amps to choose from

I may be mistaken but I think you can just get RCA's at the head unit since it does not have a factory amp

That should be a flat signal and the LC2i

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I may be mistaken but I think you can just get RCA's at the head unit since it does not have a factory amp

do you mean using a LOC in that location or what? Factory head units do not have rca outputs.

keep in mind when adding a LOC you need to add resistors to get the sound out of the factory head if its not built into the LOC.

OP
OP
Mike77

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
do you mean using a LOC in that location or what? Factory head units do not have rca outputs.

keep in mind when adding a LOC you need to add resistors to get the sound out of the factory head if its not built into the LOC.
Could you suggest a LOC that has built in resistors?

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can skip the LOC all together, the wire color codes are all over this site. I've done wht your trying with an Alpine PDR-F50 running all four door speakers. Keep in mind that the speaker outputs from the head unit are only full signal to the front doors not the rear doors. You can use the amp to compensate for that to get full sound out of all four door speakers. I've tried running the dash speakers off of the amp and off of the head unit alone and in both cases they simply to bright for my taste. I have them disconnected right now. LOC's are nice but I'm old school and wanted to run new wires to the doors and dash off the amp but you can simplify that if your not as **** about stuff as I am? The wiring in the truck is capable of handling what most will run thru them.

Good luck and if you need the color codes for the 15 let me know.

OP
OP
Mike77

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can skip the LOC all together, the wire color codes are all over this site. I've done wht your trying with an Alpine PDR-F50 running all four door speakers. Keep in mind that the speaker outputs from the head unit are only full signal to the front doors not the rear doors. You can use the amp to compensate for that to get full sound out of all four door speakers. I've tried running the dash speakers off of the amp and off of the head unit alone and in both cases they simply to bright for my taste. I have them disconnected right now. LOC's are nice but I'm old school and wanted to run new wires to the doors and dash off the amp but you can simplify that if your not as **** about stuff as I am? The wiring in the truck is capable of handling what most will run thru them.

If you could provide me with the color codes I'd appreciate it. Thanks for letting me know about the front channels being the only ones with full signal, you just saved me some headache (I was going to run the dash off the front channel and the amps off the rear).

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Front Left + GY/VT
Front Left - GY/YL
Front Right + DG/VT
Front Right - DG/YL
Left Rear + GY/DG
Left Rear - GY/LG
Right Rear + DG/LG
Right Rear - DG/GY

That should get you going. FYI, I put my amp under the driver's seat closer to the door.

OP
OP
Mike77

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Front Left + GY/VT
Front Left - GY/YL
Front Right + DG/VT
Front Right - DG/YL
Left Rear + GY/DG
Left Rear - GY/LG
Right Rear + DG/LG
Right Rear - DG/GY

That should get you going. FYI, I put my amp under the driver's seat closer to the door.
Thank you! This will be a huge help!

jackburton78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

What part of the signal is dropped from the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mike77

Mike77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What part of the signal is dropped from the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd like to know this as well before I hook everything up next week. Some say fronts and backs are full signal, some say front only receive full signal.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd like to know this as well before I hook everything up next week. Some say fronts and backs are full signal, some say front only receive full signal.
From my experience typically the highs are somewhat muted on most if not all systems since the soundstage is the front seat. The sound from my speakers follows this pattern if I don't use the amp and channel the output from the front speakers to all four door speakers. It's very pronounced and I can assure you if you try separating them you will see exactly what I'm speaking of.

I can't be sure all of the systems RAM uses are this was but I've done enough stereo work in 56yrs to know this is how most factory systems are configured.