Need new tires! Too many options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
No sir

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice and no scrubbing I have the same tires but smaller once they wear down that’s the size I’m getting you never want your tires to wear down fast but this is one time I do lmao. It’s been a year and a half and they look like I did when I put them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice and no scrubbing I have the same tires but smaller once they wear down that’s the size I’m getting you never want your tires to wear down fast but this is one time I do lmao. It’s been a year and a half and they look like I did when I put them in.

No rubbing that I've noticed so far. Great tires and look nice. I get a lot if compliments

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
No rubbing that I've noticed so far. Great tires and look nice. I get a lot if compliments

Yeah and for the price compared to others you can’t go wrong either

bjohnston0624

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you a lift or level kit?

Rough country 2.5 leveling kit $60

Now have an airlift airbag suspension in the rear for towing

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's all I use is duratracs and I got my dad into them on his 3/4 ton and 1 ton but I'm here in Montana right now with 12+ inches and doing fine where ever I roam

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Do you use the LT version or the P rated ? Thanks

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
D

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You all might want to take a peek at the Fierce Attitude tires. Excellent grip is the wet, dry, and mud. Had them on Jeep, never got stuck. Had them on thin snow (TN), and no issues. Great tread pattern, and very good life. And for the price, they are tough to beat.

I most likely will get a set on my Ram shortly after I pick out wheels and lift.

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now im debating possibly going with a 275/65 tire.

Is it worth it? Besides gaining the extra 1" in height, anything else?

Pretty sure I will be going with the good year duratracs.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Now im debating possibly going with a 275/65 tire.

Is it worth it? Besides gaining the extra 1" in height, anything else?

Pretty sure I will be going with the good year duratracs.

You are really gaining a 1/2 inch height wise so it probably isn’t! That being said I did it to help keep RPM down a little better since I have 4.56 gears and happened to get a set of KO2’s that didn’t fit on a Chevy and were only on for a few miles.

I prefer the 285/6520 but they are very pricey.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Check out treadwright they have 20’s now.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW and the I know the trucks aren't the same, I had Goodyear RT/S on my '01 Dakota 4X4 for many many years. I didn't put that many miles on the truck and wound up replacing tires because of time but not wear. They served me well and were not noisy. When I get to replacement time with my RAM I hope to find a similar tire available from Goodyear. For me they were great tires, good wear, excellent wet traction and excellent snow traction. Since the truck was only a 3.9 V6 I can't assess acceleration traction since that Dakota could only spin tires in sand!

I'm saving this thread for future needs so at least I'll have some good and usable information to work from.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally purchased my tires. I went with the 275/60 Good Year Duratracs.

I got them for a steal and couldn't pass up the deal.

I have to wait until next Friday to get them installed though, hope it doesn't snow in the meantime. These SRA's are damn near bald!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everyone's got their opinion but if you want the best, go Michelin with a good all-season tread and good tread depth. Michelin consistently rates at the top and a guy I know who used to work in the tire business says their quality control is unmatched and that's part of the reason they're leaders. I used to be an on-the-road sales guy and bought all kinds and brands of tires over the yrs. Michelins really run smooooth and I've always gotten a ton of miles out of them. Even though they are the most expensive usually, they pay back in lifespan. Bridgestones are also quite good in my experience and run 'true' even after many miles. I kind of settled with Bridgestones after a while because I found them to be a better price/lifespan value and the ones I've had run true all the way to the bitter end. I've also run some Uniroyals a long time that ran great.

10 ply tires are going to give you the longest life and great handling, but you don't necessarily need them unless you have good loads. But you'll get probably double the life out of 10-ply tires. At the end of the day, they'll probably save you the most money seeing how it costs so much for mounting and balancing. The fewer times you have to do that, the more you save.

I honestly wouldn't recommend Coopers. They make a lot of the no-name tires out there, so make sure you check out who the parent company is. Generally they'll work ok, but I've never gotten a lot of life out of their product and lived with out-of-roundness and belt issue bouncing with their tires for thousands of miles once they got up in age that didn't seem to occur with the other tire brands I mentioned. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw on which tires you get ..if they were made well or at the outer edge of the acceptable spec range, that's where quality control comes in. I usually try to tell the guy doing my tires, if they require a lot of weight to balance, please dismount it and try another one. Most guys will do that for ya, some guys won't. A tire that takes a crapload of weights is going to be a problem from day one.

Also, if you want to be REALLY finicky, consider paying for Road-Force balancing. Road Force is probably the TOP tire balancer out there which can take into account differences in tire roundness that most balancers don't. Most big shops have at least one Road Force balancer to help troubleshoot tires for warranty purposes (before the mfgr will warranty the tire). It costs more to balance this way because it takes more tech time. But if you want a tire that runs as smooth as you can get it, it's something to ask for.

Hey, I know a buddy who hydroplaned on nearly bald tires, hit a tree and totaled his truck. It was amazing he walked away. That was more than 20 years ago and I know my buddy has never since screwed with crappy low-buck tires. I'm glad you're getting some new ones too. I should look at mine, they're getting to that point. Thanks for the reminder!!

[Update:] Glad you got your tires!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everyone's got their opinion but if you want the best, go Michelin with a good all-season tread and good tread depth. Michelin consistently rates at the top and a guy I know who used to work in the tire business says their quality control is unmatched and that's part of the reason they're leaders. I used to be an on-the-road sales guy and bought all kinds and brands of tires over the yrs. Michelins really run smooooth and I've always gotten a ton of miles out of them. Even though they are the most expensive usually, they pay back in lifespan. Bridgestones are also quite good in my experience and run 'true' even after many miles. I kind of settled with Bridgestones after a while because I found them to be a better price/lifespan value and the ones I've had run true all the way to the bitter end. I've also run some Uniroyals a long time that ran great.

10 ply tires are going to give you the longest life and great handling, but you don't necessarily need them unless you have good loads. But you'll get probably double the life out of 10-ply tires. At the end of the day, they'll probably save you the most money seeing how it costs so much for mounting and balancing. The fewer times you have to do that, the more you save.

I honestly wouldn't recommend Coopers. They make a lot of the no-name tires out there, so make sure you check out who the parent company is. Generally they'll work ok, but I've never gotten a lot of life out of their product and lived with out-of-roundness and belt issue bouncing with their tires for thousands of miles once they got up in age that didn't seem to occur with the other tire brands I mentioned. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw on which tires you get ..if they were made well or at the outer edge of the acceptable spec range, that's where quality control comes in. I usually try to tell the guy doing my tires, if they require a lot of weight to balance, please dismount it and try another one. Most guys will do that for ya, some guys won't. A tire that takes a crapload of weights is going to be a problem from day one.

Also, if you want to be REALLY finicky, consider paying for Road-Force balancing. Road Force is probably the TOP tire balancer out there which can take into account differences in tire roundness that most balancers don't. Most big shops have at least one Road Force balancer to help troubleshoot tires for warranty purposes (before the mfgr will warranty the tire). It costs more to balance this way because it takes more tech time. But if you want a tire that runs as smooth as you can get it, it's something to ask for.

Hey, I know a buddy who hydroplaned on nearly bald tires, hit a tree and totaled his truck. It was amazing he walked away. That was more than 20 years ago and I know my buddy has never since screwed with crappy low-buck tires. I'm glad you're getting some new ones too. I should look at mine, they're getting to that point. Thanks for the reminder!!

[Update:] Glad you got your tires!!

I'll have to look into that road force balancing. Thanks for the heads up!

I've seen many online tire places list road force balancing but I had no idea what that meant.

How would I know how much weight it takes them to balance a tire? I'm sure they won't tell me. I don't want any issues. I just want a safe tire.

Any tips?

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe if I have enough money left over this week after payday I'll buy some BFG KO2's. Stock LT265/70R17E for $906 M & B. My friend (another) Dave worked in a tire center for years and highly recommended them. He has them and his FIL both and love them. The only issue they ever had with any of them was balancing some on the factory 20" wheels.