Need some help on more mods to get

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As much as I've followed, I've noticed long tube headers, ported intake manifold, intake, and replacing the muffler are your only real gains you'll make before getting inside the motor... then a cam can take advantage of the increased air intake and exhaust balance with a good tune.

then you're at the point of either going to ported heads and increased compression, slightly higher pound injectors, OR sleeving the motor adding forged rods, pistons and a crank to go forced induction.

2k for the beginning, or 15k for 200 more hp to the wheels... I can safely say in a truck it's not as much fun, just my personal experience. In a corvette it's super fun lol

OP
OP
Posjr

Posjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can some confirm if these kooks y pipe will fit stock location/ shortly headers? Worried they may be for long tube.

I was looking into the ported manifold. Figured that would be best installed with the cam. Think I'm going to relax after the y pipes.

OP
OP
Posjr

Posjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll answer my own question. Those kooks y pipe won't work. They only match up to there kook headers.

Afe sells a y pipe with high flow cats that bolt up to stock headers. But for $1200 ill pass.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnaflow has an option that will bolt up to shorties and shouldn't throw a CEL.
49664_0f47e783-a8cc-4984-bc8d-fcb32c9a4c4a_750x.jpg

The cats flow as good as stock but the y pipe is a much better design that will flow a ton better than that horrible stock y pipe.

Message me if you would like a quote on one.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see that you mentioned getting a cam at some point. I might suggest that you also consider getting a converter at the same time. They kinda go hand and hand. Whoever you get your cam from can also recommend what stall would be best for your application. You might consider Moe's Performance, a preferred vendor on this site.
Jay

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'll answer my own question. Those kooks y pipe won't work. They only match up to there kook headers.

Afe sells a y pipe with high flow cats that bolt up to stock headers. But for $1200 ill pass.
I would encourage you to slay that y pipe if it's the last mod you do. Mine was a crushed up piece a crap. Literally two pieces of pipe crushed and stuffed into a single piece of pipe, minimal effort from designer / builder to not impede airflow at that junction.

I bet if you've a decent pipe shop around they could build you a y pipe for no more then the Kooks price you listed, at least close. One that runs from shortie to the single pipe run. It'll be tight and it'll let your Hemi breathe (for the next mod on your list)[emoji1787]

The Hemi fever doesn't go away, there's no vaccine. HF can be managed and treated though, with mo' Hemi [emoji482]

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

OP
OP
Posjr

Posjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would encourage you to slay that y pipe if it's the last mod you do. Mine was a crushed up piece a crap. Literally two pieces of pipe crushed and stuffed into a single piece of pipe, minimal effort from designer / builder to not impede airflow at that junction.

I bet if you've a decent pipe shop around they could build you a y pipe for no more then the Kooks price you listed, at least close. One that runs from shortie to the single pipe run. It'll be tight and it'll let your Hemi breathe (for the next mod on your list)[emoji1787]

The Hemi fever doesn't go away, there's no vaccine. HF can be managed and treated though, with mo' Hemi [emoji482]

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

Thx i was doing some digging around last night and came across the stock y pipe cut out. Wow its bad. They really crush the pipe down to a straw. Your right going to get a pre made y pipe online for 20 bucks than have a shop weld it up. For the price of the afe ill have cash left over for the nitrous kit

Screenshot_20210221-074916_Chrome.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thx i was doing some digging around last night and came across the stock y pipe cut out. Wow its bad. They really crush the pipe down to a straw. Your right going to get a pre made y pipe online for 20 bucks than have a shop weld it up. For the price of the afe ill have cash left over for the nitrous kit

View attachment 238526

Supposedly "Jones" is Magnaflows cheap line of products from what i've gathered up through the grapevine.Check with Magnaflow,they might have the same Y in stainless steel for a bit more money.Although aluminized steel would probably last till you either put headers on the truck or get rid of it.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re going to replace the y pipe now why not switch from shorties to long tube headers? Weren’t you going with shorties to avoid messing with the y tube? If you’re now going to replace the crappy y tube on the truck why not use the better headers too? Just curious.

OP
OP
Posjr

Posjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you’re going to replace the y pipe now why not switch from shorties to long tube headers? Weren’t you going with shorties to avoid messing with the y tube? If you’re now going to replace the crappy y tube on the truck why not use the better headers too? Just curious.

My idea was to just install shorties that were carb legal CA. Set it and forget it. Than came across how bad the ypipe is. So figured I would get a y pipe with high flow cats. I would have to store the stock ypipe to resell the truck or to smog it every 2 years which is a easy swap.

If I went long tubes with high flow cats ypipe. Both would need to be swapped out every two years than re install after smog and need to store the oem headers and oem ypipe.

Now I'm allowed to modify anything after the cat with out a carb sticker. So I can basically make my own ypipe after oem cats and have no future issues.

Total cost 650 headers, 100 for ypipe, another 150 or so to weld it in. $900 call it done and no future stress and no parts laying around.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My idea was to just install shorties that were carb legal CA. Set it and forget it. Than came across how bad the ypipe is. So figured I would get a y pipe with high flow cats. I would have to store the stock ypipe to resell the truck or to smog it every 2 years which is a easy swap.

If I went long tubes with high flow cats ypipe. Both would need to be swapped out every two years than re install after smog and need to store the oem headers and oem ypipe.

Now I'm allowed to modify anything after the cat with out a carb sticker. So I can basically make my own ypipe after oem cats and have no future issues.

Total cost 650 headers, 100 for ypipe, another 150 or so to weld it in. $900 call it done and no future stress and no parts laying around.

When you go in for inspection do they physically inspect the parts or do they just hook up the machine to the odb port and go off the readings from the vehicles computer?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
As much as I've followed, I've noticed long tube headers, ported intake manifold, intake, and replacing the muffler are your only real gains you'll make before getting inside the motor... then a cam can take advantage of the increased air intake and exhaust balance with a good tune.

then you're at the point of either going to ported heads and increased compression, slightly higher pound injectors, OR sleeving the motor adding forged rods, pistons and a crank to go forced induction.

2k for the beginning, or 15k for 200 more hp to the wheels... I can safely say in a truck it's not as much fun, just my personal experience. In a corvette it's super fun lol

You don't need to sleeve the block for crank, rods or pistons.

OP
OP
Posjr

Posjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you go in for inspection do they physically inspect the parts or do they just hook up the machine to the odb port and go off the readings from the vehicles computer?

Yes they will physically look at all smog components. I got caught once already. He noticed it was not a oem cat and failed me cause the cat had no carb number for my old f350.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yes they will physically look at all smog components. I got caught once already. He noticed it was not a oem cat and failed me cause the cat had no carb number for my old f350.

Oh yes - in the powergen biz, the exhaust aftertreatment assemblies on the big sets were too big to ship installed, so they shipped as kits. The serial number on the kit had to match the serial number of the set, regardless if the kit was the same model for a bunch of gensets.

Neither EPA nor CARB would make any exceptions.

OP
OP
Posjr

Posjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supposedly "Jones" is Magnaflows cheap line of products from what i've gathered up through the grapevine.Check with Magnaflow,they might have the same Y in stainless steel for a bit more money.Although aluminized steel would probably last till you either put headers on the truck or get rid of it.

Found a stainless steel one of 100. I'm on it!

I unloaded my tools this morning which doesn't happen often. Truck felt great. Good power. Have my viking shocks set 10/14 and was able to hit some corners nicely. Short lived, truck is loaded up again and ready for work

My tuner didn't show up as scheduled. Its probably stuck in the snow somewhere east. Disappointed

OP
OP
Posjr

Posjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like I might need to dermal my headers abit. There are mig wire stuck around that hasn't melted. Plus I got these little plastic balls stuck inside.

20210220_075211.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Old school trick is to pound a punch or chisel through the cats and gut them yourself,not saying you should do it,just passing the old school tip on,lol

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I’m sure glad they don’t get that carried away here. They just plug into the computer and check how everything is running.

OP
OP
Posjr

Posjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally got my Diablo after usps was stuck in the snow for a week. Got the can tune 93 and preformance tcm tune. Huge wake up. She rips my 315's 1st through 2nd. I actually felt my neck muscles tightening up during acceleration! Can wait to install the shortly and get my custom tune.

OP
OP
Posjr

Posjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kinda disappointed. I was on the freeway way today and another ram 1500 rolled up next to me. So we did a little speed run 65 to 100. And man we were even head to head.

Difference I can say for sure is he was a 2 door lifted 4x4. I'm a 4 door, couple hundred lbs in tools. Also had another passenger with me. I would think I would had that little extra pull on him with my mods.

I did install my hemifever tune but just didn't feel as good as the Diablo can tune. Need to follow up with hemifever with data logging. That's my little rant. I need more power!