NERF step / Running board replacement questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wicked96SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi! First real post.

I have a 2014 Dodge RAM 1500 Crew Cab

I did search around and it seems that a common thing that the factory running boards will rattle. I've been under the truck and see how they're attached, and not super impressed. I have them tightened as much as I can, but they still rattle, so I was looking for something else.

I was looking at the N-FAB bars, and notices that they use a combination of clips and the normal mounting holes for the stock running boards. I also saw videos that they flex, just like the stock ones. I don't care about the flex, but those that have them, did it fix the rattle? The rattle drives me crazy.

I used to have Back Country SS All-Stainless Nerf Bars on my 2003 Dodge Ram and they didn't flex and were VERY solid. You could jack the truck up by them although I wouldn't recommend it! :)

General question is how did you all solve the rattling running boards if you had them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ram75

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had the n fab steps on my 13 sport. Seemed very well made and I really liked them. They did set a little low since I only had a level on it and did have some flex but nothing major. I put the mopar steps on my 15 sport and they actually have less flex than the n fab ones I had. Knock on wood I don't have any rattle as of yet but maybe try using a rubber bushing or washer to alleviate the rattle you have. I'm sure someone on here has a fix for you.

OP
OP
Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you Ram75! Appreciate the input.

I have been under the truck and noticed that the previous owner TRIED to "fix" it. Combination of bolts and washers. From my understanding, weren't the stock boards riveted in? Anyhow, didn't seem to work. Not sure why, haven't done much than try to tighten them.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ram75

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've never heard of any boards being installed with rivets but I could be wrong. Try posting some pics of the location your getting the rattle from. Might help some of the members in giving you some ideas on a fix.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The nut zerts are also called rivnuts so that maybe confused the terminology?

OP
OP
Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The nut zerts are also called rivnuts so that maybe confused the terminology?

That's probably it then! Thank you! I just skimmed several posts about running boards, and seemed to remember something about "rivets"... probably was rivnuts. Thanks again!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have the nab 3 step units on my cc and have no rattles. Those units use three more b attachment points per side than the stock ones do

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My MOPAR have 3, per side.

OP
OP
Wicked96SS

Wicked96SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you MADDOG for the info! I saw that they utilized clips that help support them.

Mine have 3 mounting points, 2 bolts per point. All are tight and it still wobbles more than it should. The person before me (As I mentioned) used washers to try to "fix" it and seemingly made it worse, probably.

Also, I just like the looks of the N-FAB!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I added one lock washer per bolt that goes into the body pinch weld area. They definitely snagged up nice and tight with those added. A large flat washer in that location would also help spread the attachment mounting surface load there.

jdwildman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
My boards were creaking and rattling at me. I tightened them down as much as I could. Seemed to go away for a bit, but then returned. Today went to step on my driver side board and three of the rivnuts pulled through the panel. Removed the board. Looking at options. Probably going to try to get boards that mount to the frame instead. Until then, climbing into my truck kinda sucks.

2011 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x2 (SWB)

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My boards were creaking and rattling at me. I tightened them down as much as I could. Seemed to go away for a bit, but then returned. Today went to step on my driver side board and three of the rivnuts pulled through the panel. Removed the board. Looking at options. Probably going to try to get boards that mount to the frame instead. Until then, climbing into my truck kinda sucks.

2011 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x2 (SWB)

They say that over tightening the riv nut bolts will strip out the nuts. I think the better boards include a reinforcement plate behind the sheet metal to help keep them tight.