New 2018 Ram Laramie Longhorn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys. So...after putting in all that work on my 2010 Ram Sport new kicker cs 6x9, dual subs, etc. I have decided to trade it in for a new 2018 Longhorn with the Apline stereo in it.

My question is...should I put the Kicker speakers into the Longhorn? They are 4 ohms....will these be ok on an Alpine system or no? I don't know anything about the Alipine system. has 8.4" UConnect stereo in it and the sub in the back. TIA

btw...if you're curious as to why I'm trading in...my 2010 Sport has decided to start breaking everythign and everywhere you can imagine. After just doing $2000.00 in repairs, it's now rusting everywhere rear bumper rocker panels etc etc... something snapped the other day, bushings are gone, needs new control arms etc...possible bearing as well. It's time for it to go sadly.

Plus...the deal I got on my trade and a new Longhorn was just TOO GOOD to pass up with 25% discount on the 2018's currently here in Canada

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you going to add aftermarket amps or processing?

I can't be 100% sure on the 2018s but as far as I know all years of the Alpine system use 2 ohm speakers.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Longhorns are awesome, love that thick leather hides on the seats, no bonded leather. No glued on plastic chrome hubcaps either.

The 4-ohm speakers will work with the Alpine system and will not damage the head unit, the system will not be as loud though.

Enjoy your new truck and hopefully, this one will not rust out, was the Sport undercoated?

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I would say the Alpine system is better than the Kicker CS speakers.

The Alpine speakers are not real Alpine, they are Chinese paper ****. The system was designed by Alpine.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Alpine speakers are not real Alpine, they are Chinese paper ****. The system was designed by Alpine.

However you want to spin it, the system still sounds better the CS line of speakers. Also consider the fact that you would be dropping power in half, it would sound even worse.

BTW a large portion of aftermarket speakers are made in china and have a paper cone, even very high end ones.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you're going to replace the speakers I'd go 2ohm and as high efficiency as possible or it'll be too quiet.

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I wouldn't keep the kickers. I'd listen to the system to see if you like it and if it's not where you want it, then I'd replace the speakers with Infinity Reference...which is what I did and it sounds amazing. No added amps or LOC's. The Infinity's will drop right in and be plug'n'play with the right adapters.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check the thread alpine upgrade. Witch is selling off pretty much all you'd need for a basic upgrade as a package since he decided to go all out.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Longhorns are awesome, love that thick leather hides on the seats, no bonded leather. No glued on plastic chrome hubcaps either.

The 4-ohm speakers will work with the Alpine system and will not damage the head unit, the system will not be as loud though.

Enjoy your new truck and hopefully, this one will not rust out, was the Sport undercoated?
You are 100% right on this..... I love the leather pecan on my longhorn but I’m really in love with my floor mats. It’s like the best of both worlds a mixture of luxery and brute with these mats.

OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't keep the kickers. I'd listen to the system to see if you like it and if it's not where you want it, then I'd replace the speakers with Infinity Reference...which is what I did and it sounds amazing. No added amps or LOC's. The Infinity's will drop right in and be plug'n'play with the right adapters.

Can you link me which speakers you put in? Thanks!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No your smoking rocks

The Kicker CS speakers are at best factory level replacements. Of course everyone has different tastes. Over-bearing highs and no mid-bass is not in mine. I've installed them in a number of different cars and in many different situations.

Jimmys1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the floor mats (with carpet inserts) I am looking for a replacement for the driver side

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
FWIW, I replaced the stock dash speakers in my 2015 Big Horn Alpine system with Polk DB351 coaxial 3.5", 4 ohm speakers and I did not notice any decrease in loudness output from them whatsoever. Sounded a LOT better than stock.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I like the floor mats (with carpet inserts) I am looking for a replacement for the driver side
I may have my old set from my 2015?