New 27' Trailer First Time Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For your information.. The General HTS60'.... I have them and went on a 5,000 km trip 2 weeks ago and they are awesome.... Went from Niagara Falls Canada to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.... Steep hills and turns and the tires really helps... No wiggle or squishy feeling compared to my old tires which was a A/T tires.... I tow a 25 ft trailer maxed weigh is 6,000 pounds..... The steep hills are hard on the engine but beyond that it's really good
Hello resale. I went and did that trip two years ago with my mini van pulling a 16 ft hybrid tt it is a great trip. But now I 1500 3.21 and I towed my 21 triple hybrid 5500 lbs from Niagara to Disney in March and except the fuel cost the truck worked great. We plan on heading back out east next year with the Ram.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
The air assist springs just bolt in place of where the bump stops go. When running normal on the road, I have 7psi in them per Timber Grove. I run about 14psi in the air springs when I have the trailer hooked up with the WDH on.

I found that when I have loaded the truck up, using the TG's to get the truck back level was pretty nice (not with the trailer hooked up, carrying mulch or lumber). One of the things I like about my truck is the ride. Switching out to a heavier spring really wasn't something I wanted jump on. Adding the air springs were pretty easy.

upload_2019-7-15_18-23-34.png

upload_2019-7-15_18-24-6.png

Just my $0.02 cents...the Timber Groves are pretty heavy duty bags. Nice hardware. This is what works for me. Experiences will vary from each person.

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
For your information.. The General HTS60'.... I have them and went on a 5,000 km trip 2 weeks ago and they are awesome.... Went from Niagara Falls Canada to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.... Steep hills and turns and the tires really helps... No wiggle or squishy feeling compared to my old tires which was a A/T tires.... I tow a 25 ft trailer maxed weigh is 6,000 pounds..... The steep hills are hard on the engine but beyond that it's really good

Good to hear they meet expectations. For right now, the Nittos stay until they are wore. :)

Russell44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The air assist springs just bolt in place of where the bump stops go. When running normal on the road, I have 7psi in them per Timber Grove. I run about 14psi in the air springs when I have the trailer hooked up with the WDH on.

I found that when I have loaded the truck up, using the TG's to get the truck back level was pretty nice (not with the trailer hooked up, carrying mulch or lumber). One of the things I like about my truck is the ride. Switching out to a heavier spring really wasn't something I wanted jump on. Adding the air springs were pretty easy.

View attachment 173442

View attachment 173443

Just my $0.02 cents...the Timber Groves are pretty heavy duty bags. Nice hardware. This is what works for me. Experiences will vary from each person.
I put 35 pounds in front and 40 pounds in the back when towing... When I'm not then 35 in back.... Rides smooth and good..... Only down side is in the morning before I first drive it out when it's 5 degrees Celsius or below outside it'll have a little bumpy ride but it'll smooth out in a min

Dr J Cumminz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L with Aisin
Air lifter Air bags helped a lot and the truck set nicer when I had my 1500. You can put them on yourself, it's easy and grab them from Amazon. Don't go and pay $1200 when you an get them for $275-400.

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
We just got back from our first trip. I adjusted the hitch up one notch and that made the ball 2” higher then the trailer when trailer was level. My truck still really sunk. Can I adjust it higher and be ok?

It made a huge difference. Drive 180 miles round trip up and down hills and curvy roads to get to the beach.

I definitely think I will need to add something to keep it more solid but the one adjustment of the hitch helped a ton.

I am hoping I can adjust it some more to keep my truck from dropping so much.

Thank you for checking!

Ram,

It definitely sounds like a wdh adjustment issue.

You stated you raised the ball up? Was this by moving the hitch head up a hole or two on the shank? So I’m guessing your rig is now nose high, which isn't the best.

Probably what you need to do is lower the hitch head back down, and (guesstimating) adjust the angle of the hitch head back. This will put more tension on the wd bars.

Having just become a Ram owner, I’m not sure what the wdh adjustment is recommended
for our trucks yet. I will try to do some more looking.

But here is a how to wdh adjustment. I would suggest starting from the beginning and verifying all the measurements. As mentioned, ideally a trip to the CAT Scale would be best once we know what the recommended wdh adjustment is.

Look in the tv owners manual to see what is suggested for the wdh adjustment....

With the rig and truck loaded for a trip:

On flat ground, set you trailer so it’s parallel to the ground. Measure the height to the inside of the coupler. Make sure your ball is ~3/4-1” higher. Now raise the trailer tongue and back the truck under, but don’t hook up yet....

Measure the front fender height: M1. Make sure you can re-measure in the exact same spot.

Hook the trailer up, but without the wd bars.... Measure again: M2.

Your front fender height M3, once the wd bars are installed will depend on what the tv owners manual states for the wdh.

Now, if the tv owners manual states to return 100% (or as close as possible) of the lost weight back to the front axle, once you hook the wd bars up you want the front fender measurement M3 to be the same or as close to M1 as possible.

If it’s 50% returned, then you have a little math to do....

M2- M1= D.
M2- (Dx .5)= M3. Now adjust the hitch head angle so the wd bars are positioned correctly, and the front fender is as close to M3 as possible.

If the suggestions is for 25% return:

M2- M1= D
M2- (Dx .25)= M3

Now adjust the wdh so the front fender is as close to M3 as possible.

This can be be an interesting process, but it’s not too bad. Just be sure to use the correct number of chain links so the wd bars are close to parallel with the trailer frame.

And the CaT Scale how to:

When weighing the rig loaded for a trip with all occupants, you need three passes across the scales.

1: truck & rig w/ wd bars hooked up.

2: truck and rig w/ wd bars unhooked & in truck bed.

3: truck only.

You can figure your total rig weight, if the wdh is adjusted correctly for your tv, and your loaded tw.

Be sure to have a long broom stick or similar to reach the call button.

I always go inside first and explain I need three weights and ask if I can pay after all three. Then my wife goes inside to pay and get the weight slips while I hook the rig back up after weighing it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Blue2500CC

Reaction score
Ram Year
‘18
Engine
Couple things I forgot to mention/ask:

What tire pressure are you running in the tv, and the rig? I would suggest running the tv rears at max sidewall pressure, fronts start at the suggested door jamb pressure and go up from there until it feels good but don’t exceed sidewall max. And the trailer at max sidewall pressure.

That is if you don’t upgrade the tires to a XL, C, D or E rated tire...

The advantage of a few trips across the scales is:

It will verify if the dealer gave you the correct rated wd bars for your actual loaded tw.

It will also tell you if you have enough tw for your loaded rig, or if you may be a little light on the tw.

Disco Ard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We just got a 27' travel trailer and I have personally never towed anything before that wasn't a rental. I have a 1500 ram 2017 CC 4x4.

The ride SUCKED to say the least. It felt as if something was hitting me from behind and then pulling me back the entire time. I do have a WDH that they set up at the dealer and the trailer is 6300lbs. I am under my tow rating of 10K (thats what dealer told me I had).

Questions:
What can I add to help it drive better? I know it wont drive the same as if nothing is attached but I am hoping to improve the ride as much as possible.

Would you suggest a aftermarket Helwig sway bar?

Should I get a catch can since I will be towing?

Is it ok that my temp goes into the 230's while towing? For some reason my truck runs 210 or so with no load and then when hills hit I get into the 220 range. Is this normal?

A coworker suggested to get these three things to help with the ride and also to get more power out of it. It feels pretty gutless when pulling the trailer.

Sorry for some of the dumb questions. I just don't want to screw myself or the truck if I can add a few things to make the ride better and easier on the truck. Suggestions and or comments please :)

https://www.generalspringkc.com/pro...MIiJ3WqdGq4wIVMB-tBh1e9A9xEAkYDSABEgLrCPD_BwE

https://www.supersprings.com/shop/s...MIiJ3WqdGq4wIVMB-tBh1e9A9xEAkYCyABEgJS-PD_BwE

https://realtruck.com/p/bully-dog-t...MIiJ3WqdGq4wIVMB-tBh1e9A9xEAkYAiABEgKQWPD_BwE
Crank the wdh right up. I had a setup for a caravan and I had to crank mine up further when I got the ram 1500 5.7. You might like some kind of air bag system and definitely a K and N filter. Just the drop in.

CPTII

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Rear airbags are a must for towing. Helps stiffin the rear so it doesn’t sag and sway as much

CPTII

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You should really read up on trailer breaks. Progressive and passive systems. Some aftermarket ones let you create 3 or four different tow settings. The manufacturer one is great

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rear airbags are a must for towing. Helps stiffin the rear so it doesn’t sag and sway as much
Even the Airlift 1000 in coil spring bags work wonders on our half tons. I have the black HD.bags and love them. Cheap and easy. A complete no brainer IMO, especially if budget matters.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even the Airlift 1000 in coil spring bags work wonders on our half tons. I have the black HD.bags and love them. Cheap and easy. A complete no brainer IMO, especially if budget matters.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
What psi do you run them on with your trailer?

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What psi do you run them on with your trailer?
I have the regular (red) 1000s.. I run them at their max recommended of 35 psi, measured before hooking up to the trailer.

If I could do over, I would have gone the HDs but price and ease of install swayed me to the standards.

I have not had any issues so far with mine, but a little higher quality materials would have been nice now that I know how big of a difference the bags made for my setup.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the regular (red) 1000s.. I run them at their max recommended of 35 psi, measured before hooking up to the trailer.

If I could do over, I would have gone the HDs but price and ease of install swayed me to the standards.

I have not had any issues so far with mine, but a little higher quality materials would have been nice now that I know how big of a difference the bags made for my setup.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Stupid question but how do you lower the axle so that you can extend the springs to slide bags in there?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Stupid question but how do you lower the axle so that you can extend the springs to slide bags in there?
Jack the truck up by the frame to where the wheel just comes off the ground.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just hooked up the trailer and used the electric tougue Jack to bring both wheels off the ground at the same time. Then used wood blocks under the hitch for safety. Had no problem getting the heavy black HD bags in there make sure they are warm. Clamp them folded in half with nylon tie wraps. Trick is getting every bit of air out and put caps on to keep them that way. Easy easy job. Take your time and keep them warm. A warm soapy water spray wasn't even needed.

OP
OP
R

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got back from our second trip. 300 miles round trip! Car did good. A little porpoising and the truck was dropped down pretty good. Will order HD bags tomorrow and try to get installed before our 4 hour drive to our next spot the first weekend of August!