New 27' Trailer First Time Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I run with the tires at the PSI recommended for the truck on the door plate and not one pound less. It reduces flexing of the sidewalls which improves control and minimizes heat buildup in the tires and less chance of a blowout.

Porpoising comes from not having enough load support at the rear wheels. Easy to fix with leaf springs and more limited with coil springs where there is not an overload support. Airbags are better than nothing but they also contribute to porpoising.

With inadequate load support at the rear wheels the shocks will be less effective and will wear out sooner. I like the Rancho adjustable shocks and will increase their resistance setting when towing.

I added a Hellwig Big Wig anti-sway bar and it did nothing for the handling of the truck with a 3500 load in the bed or when towing a 13,000 lb trailer but it did dramatically improve the ride when the bed was empty and no trailer in tow. Far less wheel hop in turns or when hitting a bump with one wheel as the force was distributed to the opposite wheel with by Big Wig.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll really see a well levelled truck with the bags installed. Just remember to fill them to tow pressure before hitching up the trailer. They are great for holding a truck level when hitching up but not designed to lift a sagging truck after it's already hitched. I use 40 psi for my trailer the same size as yours.
Also remember to bring the pressure back down to 5 psi when you get back home to get the factory ride quality back. During our side trips away for camp we usually just leave the pressure up and accept that it is lumpy like a 3500 unloaded.
With the bags charged up towing towing we barely notice a difference in the smooth comfortable ride as if we didn't have the trailer on.
I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

OP
OP
R

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll really see a well levelled truck with the bags installed. Just remember to fill them to tow pressure before hitching up the trailer. They are great for holding a truck level when hitching up but not designed to lift a sagging truck after it's already hitched. I use 40 psi for my trailer the same size as yours.
Also remember to bring the pressure back down to 5 psi when you get back home to get the factory ride quality back. During our side trips away for camp we usually just leave the pressure up and accept that it is lumpy like a 3500 unloaded.
With the bags charged up towing towing we barely notice a difference in the smooth comfortable ride as if we didn't have the trailer on.
I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Thank you for the information! I will be ordering these in the next day or two!