new 5.7 hemi issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
me too thanks again. I ordered a tb today mine is fluttering when you crank

The TB is suppose to close briefly when cranked to find the "closed" value. Then from that known closed value the PCM can calculate what the previous saved idle step was and make adjustments with the engine running to maintain the predetermined engine "Target" idle speed. Things that affect Target idle speed is engine temperature, AC on/off and power steering pressure High/Low.

OP
OP
whitehemiram

whitehemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The TB is suppose to close briefly when cranked to find the "closed" value. Then from that known closed value the PCM can calculate what the previous saved idle step was and make adjustments with the engine running to maintain the predetermined engine "Target" idle speed. Things that affect Target idle speed is engine temperature, AC on/off and power steering pressure High/Low.

mine doesn't close briefly it slams shut you can hear it and see it then as you crank it flaps rapidly from closed to about 1/3rd open if you start it with you foot on the gas and then let off the pedal it slams shut if you stay on the gas it flutters really fast

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That definitely sounds like the throttle body needs replaced. That should get your rig operating properly.:rockit:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Well it's apparent that the mechanical side of the TB is working. I wouldn't want my fingers anywhere near the blade. And it sounds like it is hunting. So it is pointing at the stepper motor not sending a signal or it is not receiving a control signal. Have you pulled the plug on the TB and examined the pins, also making sure there are no frayed wires causing a problem. Critters can really can be a problem.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well it's apparent that the mechanical side of the TB is working. I wouldn't want my fingers anywhere near the blade. And it sounds like it is hunting. So it is pointing at the stepper motor not sending a signal or it is not receiving a control signal. Have you pulled the plug on the TB and examined the pins, also making sure there are no frayed wires causing a problem. Critters can really can be a problem.

I sure agree.:Hump:

OP
OP
whitehemiram

whitehemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

yes I have checked all the pins all the wiring after this tb swap I am out of ideas lol thank you guys for all your help I will let you know what happens

OP
OP
whitehemiram

whitehemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
anybody want to buy a ram I am now 2200 in to this motor and nothing new throttle body still no change this thing has been tested sideways with no result have had 2 different mechanics look at it and still nothing. I did notice that my battery is dead had to charge it don't know what that means but I have about had it with the hemi for sure

OP
OP
whitehemiram

whitehemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what actually causes that red lightning bolt it is still on cant get it to go out

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hate to think it is something as simple as a bad battery. These things are very voltage sensitive. Since you are already deep into it I'd throw a battery at it and run an external ground from the PCM to the head to the TB and battery ground.

OP
OP
whitehemiram

whitehemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hate to think it is something as simple as a bad battery. These things are very voltage sensitive. Since you are already deep into it I'd throw a battery at it and run an external ground from the PCM to the head to the TB and battery ground.

from where on the pcm?

cd36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
If the battery is bad get it changed. Make sure you are also seeing ~14.4v with the truck running, if you can check it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OP
OP
whitehemiram

whitehemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
any of you guys use these agm batteries ( absorbed glass mat (AGM) technology)

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
That's too bad the new throttle body didn't take care of it. When I read your previous thread I thought you replaced the battery but maybe you just charged it? On the spec sheet for the 5.7L I'm using it lists the rocker arm torque in N•M and In•lbs not ft•lbs and in•lbs. Is there a chance something else got over torqued? The only other odd thing I came across was a bad starter drawing voltage and causing idling problems. Don't know if any of this is helpful, hopefully a new battery is the solution.

OP
OP
whitehemiram

whitehemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
well I changed the battery this morning another 200 bucks and stiil etc light is on and no idle. I have never been beat by an engine but I think this hemi has done it spent a fortune and it sits in the garage mocking me frustration level is past max at this point. Thanks for all the help so far. Any more ideas let me know I really appreciate it

OP
OP
whitehemiram

whitehemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
my old battery was shot so needed one anyways but still nothing the old one under load test ony held 9.3 volts and when load was removed only came back to 10.8 volts

OP
OP
whitehemiram

whitehemiram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ok I found the issue my intake is melted from all the back firing I guess but the inside of the tunnels are filled with melted plastic a new one is on the way

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
ok I found the issue my intake is melted from all the back firing I guess but the inside of the tunnels are filled with melted plastic a new one is on the way

Dang that sounds like you should stop feeding your Hemi beans.

Ok jokes aside hopefully the new intake will cure your problems.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci

Ok, that's not something I ever would have looked for. I wonder if it was a vacuum leak through a hole which would definitely throw off the idle.