New brake pads. I have a few questions???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Question on brake pads. So my dealer wants to charge me around $250 to do my front brakes. According to them they will resurface my brakes rotors plus new pads. They also told me that I will get lifetime warranty on my pads so in other words pads for life. Now the factory brakes suck and I want something better (don't we all?). I have heard good things about ebc brakes and I wanted to know by those that have them how would you compare them to the factory brakes? Also are you using the 6000 or the 7000 greenstuff? Also should I buy new rotors or just get the ones I have now resurfaced and call it a day?
Dealer charge =$250
OR
Ebc + resurfacing the old rotors = about $165
OR
Ebc + new rotors = $250-$350 depending on the rotors

Thanks for the help :favorites13:

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I would go with the new rotors. Resurfacing is ok if you are on a budget. For those not familiar with resurfacing, what happens is the tech machines the high spots off of the rotors to eliminate pulsing in the brakes. This makes the rotors thinner. The thinner they get the less miles you get before you have to do it again. Eventually the rotors become too thin to resurface and you end up replacing them anyway.
This is probably more of a consideration for stop and go city driving orif the rotors are god awful expensive to replace. My own rule of thumb is resurface once, next time around replace. That's just me.

Q68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question on brake pads. So my dealer wants to charge me around $250 to do my front brakes. According to them they will resurface my brakes rotors plus new pads. They also told me that I will get lifetime warranty on my pads so in other words pads for life. Now the factory brakes suck and I want something better (don't we all?). I have heard good things about ebc brakes and I wanted to know by those that have them how would you compare them to the factory brakes? Also are you using the 6000 or the 7000 greenstuff? Also should I buy new rotors or just get the ones I have now resurfaced and call it a day?
Dealer charge =$250
OR
Ebc + resurfacing the old rotors = about $165
OR
Ebc + new rotors = $250-$350 depending on the rotors

Thanks for the help :favorites13:

Do you need the rotor work? If you don't have any pulsing or shaking in the brakes, I don't see the need to either replace or resurface the rotors.

I would also be curious what the dealership is going to use for pads under the lifetime deal. OEM or some kind of aftermarket, rock-hard pad that lasts forever but doesn't stop worth a damn and as a bonus, eats rotors - which they will charge you for.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For that price you can buy drilled and slotted rotors, upgrade to ceramic pads from Auto Zone, which are free replacement for life too, and do the job yourself. It's not that hard. But, yeah that price doesn't surprise me from having it done. I put D/S rotors all the way around myself, not bad at all if your at least moderately mechanical.

jettajam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did EBC rotors and Greenstuff 6000 pads, front and rear (rotor P/N GD7105 front and GD7106 rear).

In my opinion, the stock rotors and pads were pretty rock solid and lasted 73k miles with zero issues. I decided go the EBC route based on the very good customer feedback I had read. As for performance, I have noticed increased braking power and decreased stopping distance......and they are really quiet. I also pull an 18 foot trailer (no trailer brake), and the truck stops much better with the EBCs, vs. stock.

I have noticed a bit more brake dust, but the setup is still new and just breaking in, so I'd image much of the brake dust will diminish over time. In summary, I'm very happy with the EBC.

6b9748413b047a3ab586ca6496c0d4d0.jpg

ef49f42ba9c64335873ce74e55636108.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BlkRamRt

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
No pulsing or shaking. As for the dealer pads I'm not sure. I'm right at 38k miles and my pads are down to maybe 1/8th on an inch and I've noticed the braking power sucks. I can do the brakes myself but my neighbor owns a tire shop and does brakes also. At $60 I provide the parts I will let him do the job and no need for me to get my hands dirty. I'm digging that set up ^^^

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
for daily driving drilled and slotted rotors are like installing chesse grators on your truck, they good but are one of the worst things to install on trucks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
these are not the rotors of yesteryear. turn the stock rotors and they will warp in 4 months. oem rotors and pads are pretty good but very high priced. if you arent going to do this yourself, you will cave a bundle at a local garage.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a long read but a good one.

TL;DR

- "Warped rotors" are BS
- As someone previously mentioned, turning/machining rotors decreases rotor thickness

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

FWIW, I never turn/machine rotors - either the rotors are good (no measurable thickness variation) or they need to be replaced. My rotors have historically lasted 2 sets of pads before they develop TV or fall below minimum recommended thickness.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlkRamRt

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I already bought the ebc 7000 pads all I need now is the rotors. I thought it would have been easy to get them at a local shop, I was wrong so now on to finding them online. Since I am going to be putting some better pads why not put on better rotors?. Thanks for the help guys lots of good info here.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
for daily driving drilled and slotted rotors are like installing chesse grators on your truck, they good but are one of the worst things to install on trucks

Mine have been fine for 2 years on the RAM and I've used them for over 15 years on my GTP.

Yeah if you want to autocross or do very heavy towing I would not run them but on DD they are fine.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I already bought the ebc 7000 pads all I need now is the rotors. I thought it would have been easy to get them at a local shop, I was wrong so now on to finding them online. Since I am going to be putting some better pads why not put on better rotors?. Thanks for the help guys lots of good info here.

Pepboys has good prices on rotors.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Absolutely not true, I've been running them for years without any increased pad wear (ceramic) and great stopping ability. Maybe you had/have ****** rotors?

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Dealership told me I needed new front pads last year. So I bought Raybestos Advanced hybrid pads from Rock Auto (really good pad reviews), and changed them myself in the garage.

Turns out the dealership was full of crap, the front pads had plenty of thickness left, but as I already had the wheels torn apart and new pads purchased, I replaced them anyway. Got rid of the occasional loud squeak/squeal when I stop (at least from the front, where most of it was from), so I am happy. No issues so far, didn't touch the OEM rotors other than measuring their thickness with a digital caliper to make sure they were within spec.

If you want to replace the rotors, you can, but I don't think resurfacing them or replacing them is necessary at all if you have no current issues with them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iralee