New guy here and soon to be Ram owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLL2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a while and figured it was about time I joined. My current rig is a 2009 Ford F-250 4X4 Harley Davidson Edition. Crew cab, 6.5 bed, loaded, and a V-10 gas engine. She only has 27K on her and I've owned her since 5K. A truly outstanding truck in every way. I get more compliments on this truck. So I've been wanting to downsize because I don't need such a big truck, I don't tow any more, and plus, this baby is very THIRSTY! So I decided I was going to downsize to a 1500. I have owned and been happy with trucks from all 3 of the big guys. My last Dodge was a 2003 Ram 2500 I bought new. That was a good truck. Anyways, it was time to do some shopping. I haven't had a reason to test drive a new vehicle in a while so I was looking forward to seeing what everyone had to offer. I had a fully open mind because I don't have any really strong brand loyalty (accept for Harley Davidson motorcycles) and I'm sure I would be happy with any of them. With that in mind it was time for some hands-on research.

I went to the local drive event for the all-new 2015 F-150. If I were to buy one it would be a 5.0 Limited. Unfortunately, there was only 2.7L and 3.5L Eco-boosts there. It was a Lariat and nicely equipped. I'm sure it's a fine engine but I prefer an 8 cyl. I took the opportunity to drive the truck though. It was nice and drove fine. It just didn't knock my socks off. That coupled with the newness of the all aluminum body they are going to use would probably make me hold off until there was some history with this new model. If I were going to go the Ford route, I would probably buy a 2014 leftover to take advantage of the savings.

Next up was a GMC Denali 1500. It had the 6.2 and a 6-speed auto. There is an 8 speed auto available now, but I don't think anyone has them yet. That was a really nice truck and they really did an amazing job redoing the interior. It drove really nice and it had plenty of balls as you can imagine. This really was sweet. I would wait for the 8-speed and the magnetic ride suspension if I were going to buy one. I could see myself owning one of these.

Finally I drove a 2014 Longhorn Limited CC with 5.7 engine. Looks-wise this was my favorite. The Denali was a close second though. The interior was incredible. I mean it was really "luxury car" quality. I think it's equal to my wife's Cadillac Escalade Platinum Edition. I was really blown away. I loved the way it drove too. I think they really knocked it out of the park with this model.

So after a lot of thought and research I ordered a 2015 4X4 Ram Longhorn Limited crew-cab with the short bed. Every available option besides the tow mirrors. I got the Hemi, 3.92 gears, forged wheels, rambox, moonroof, etc. I chose the Granite Crystal color.

I felt that for my needs the Ram represented the best value and "complete package". It seemed to be everything I was looking for. I'll find out if I was right in 6-8 weeks...

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice!! Welcome back to the ram. This is my first one and I have 1200 happy miles on it.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Welcome! Your build sounds glorious.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Welcome, congrats, and thanks for the review! I think ram hit a real winner with the coil suspension my 4wd truck out rides my wife's altima.

Boompa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went through much the same testing (not the 2015 Ford but rather a 2014) and came to the same conclusion recently. You'll be pleased!

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Welcome, congrats, and thanks for the review! I think ram hit a real winner with the coil suspension my 4wd truck out rides my wife's altima.

My 14 Ram is the 3rd truck I've owned with coil rear suspension.
The first 2 were both 1966 Chevy Fleetside Long Box C10s. I agree with the ride being better on coil springs. I looked at all the domestic and import big trucks before I decided on a Ram.

Sent from Skynet terminal 142a5

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
Nice forum as I am basically in the same spot. I am buying a truck this model year but am waiting to drive the new 2015 Ford - the feedback from the above comments is very helpful as not unless it really knocks my socks off I am pretty sure I am going with a Ram - I am also waiting for the Build and Price for Ram to be updated to 2015 - I understand that is any time now. That will help with a color choice as I understand a new green shade is available for 2015. But as for my build I am going to go with a Laramie, 4x4, quad cab with almost all the goodies including air suspension as I have heard a lot of good things about it. The engine choice I am still torn - I am very impressed what I have heard about the Pentastar - as I am using the truck as a daily driver with 50 mile round trip work commute. I don't tow much but occasionally do haul some lumber and fire wood, etc. so the payload numbers on the Pentastar according to Ram are better than the Hemi - go figure... On the other hand my brother has a 2012 Hemi on his Ram and man it smooth as silk and nice acceleration when needed - with the new 8 speed transmission either is engine, I am told will be great so I am still mulling that over - any advice people have is appreciated but it looks like by December I'll be ordering that Laramie.

OP
OP
R

RLL2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice forum as I am basically in the same spot. I am buying a truck this model year but am waiting to drive the new 2015 Ford - the feedback from the above comments is very helpful as not unless it really knocks my socks off I am pretty sure I am going with a Ram - I am also waiting for the Build and Price for Ram to be updated to 2015 - I understand that is any time now. That will help with a color choice as I understand a new green shade is available for 2015. But as for my build I am going to go with a Laramie, 4x4, quad cab with almost all the goodies including air suspension as I have heard a lot of good things about it. The engine choice I am still torn - I am very impressed what I have heard about the Pentastar - as I am using the truck as a daily driver with 50 mile round trip work commute. I don't tow much but occasionally do haul some lumber and fire wood, etc. so the payload numbers on the Pentastar according to Ram are better than the Hemi - go figure... On the other hand my brother has a 2012 Hemi on his Ram and man it smooth as silk and nice acceleration when needed - with the new 8 speed transmission either is engine, I am told will be great so I am still mulling that over - any advice people have is appreciated but it looks like by December I'll be ordering that Laramie.

We are lucky to have so many amazing trucks on the market. I really don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I would highly recommend before making such a substantial purchase you drive the vehicles you are considering equipped as closely to what you would want as possible. That way you get a real feel for what your everyday drive would be like. Good luck!! :)

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the RAM family. I agree that the RAM is the best looking and most luxurious of all the big 3. I think that it was Car and Driver that rated the Ram as most luxurious interior as well...

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Ram is the right choice for sure. I have owned many trucks in my life and my 2001 Ram 2500 was the best and most reliable I have ever had. Selecting the brand of my next truck was very easy. Just traded the 2001 on a 2014 1500 SLT with Hemi, 8-Speed, and Big Horn package. Very impressive in every way.

2015er

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar and proud
We are lucky to have so many amazing trucks on the market. I really don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I would highly recommend before making such a substantial purchase you drive the vehicles you are considering equipped as closely to what you would want as possible. That way you get a real feel for what your everyday drive would be like. Good luck!! :)

I agree with your point about the selection available. And thank you for the solid advice - I plan on doing just that once the new Fords are available in my market area to drive - looking like December or maybe late November.

Anyhow, I am intrigued by your information on the Fords and compared to the Ram - quite frankly I am not surprised. But the Ram in your opinion was that much better? Any further observations you have regarding the comparison would be appreciated. Thanks again.

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram got it right all around! Nice Choice and welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
R

RLL2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with your point about the selection available. And thank you for the solid advice - I plan on doing just that once the new Fords are available in my market area to drive - looking like December or maybe late November.

Anyhow, I am intrigued by your information on the Fords and compared to the Ram - quite frankly I am not surprised. But the Ram in your opinion was that much better? Any further observations you have regarding the comparison would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Well, as far as the Ford goes it wasn't really a direct comparison. The trim level and engine I would want was not available to drive. I had to ask myself after I had driven them all if there was anything the Ford could do on a higher trim level that would win me over. From what I have read I don't think I'm losing out on anything with the Ram Limited. I liked both the looks and the interior design/quality of the Ram just a bit better than the Denali. I research the crap out of everything before I buy, no matter the cost of the item. I always try to get the best available option for what my particular needs are. I think I have done that with this choice, but only time will tell. Like I said, all of them were nice trucks so there's really no bad choice. It's just down to personal preference at this point.

sentrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have a 2014 QC sport, 5.7 Hemi, 8 speed, 3:92 gears, I drive 50 miles round trip 6 days a week consecutively on 3/4 of a tank (26 gallon tank). This is mostly highway at between 70-80mph, only a handful of those miles daily are city.

jaybirds86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New as well

Hey guys, I'm new as well, in fact new to the whole forum world. Need suggestions and want to have like a post or thread on it. How would I start one? What are the steps to make one?

P.S. Sounds like a nice build and happy you're going to buy a Ram. Welcome!

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a bad ass truck sir. You will be happy with it, I'm sure.

I wish they'd bring back the Chevrolet Avalanche.... now THAT was a truck....:roflsquared:

btw I am totally kidding........:naughty: