New Head Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OEM RBZ/RHR/REN touchscreen radios don't require any cutting, any adapters on harnesses. They just plug right in, bolt right up, look amazing because they are oem and have tons and tons of features. And they cost way less then most 6.5" touchscreen with similar features.

Here's mine. I installed it yesterday.b1a2c0ad99ef1968df194e29ede415fb.jpg

• 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi • 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires • Smoked Taillights • Custom Quad Headlights • Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows • MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs • K&N 63 Series CAI • Flowmasters Muffler • Line-X Bed • OEM Black Badges All Around • 20% Tint All Around • Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...
I guess if this one doesn't work out I'll be doing what you did, thanks for the help

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
alright so I got everything wired up and install right, but right when i put the negetive wire back onto my battery i heard a pop. It was the 15 amp fuse that goes in the head unit itself. so i bought another 15 amp, installed it. same thing happened and it popped. I checked the fuse box under the hood, and the fuse that is listed as "stereo/radio" is a 30 amp fuse. so i replaced that one with a 15 amp and put another 15 amp in the head unit. There was a slight click but there was no pop and neither of the fuses are blown, but head unit still wont turn on.

any ideas before i go to a stereo shop to get a diagnosis on if radio is DOA?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What harness did you use? It sounds like you have a ground going to the power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What harness did you use? It sounds like you have a ground going to the power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used a harness that came with the radio, i looked it over before using it and it looked fairly well made

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I used a harness that came with the radio, i looked it over before using it and it looked fairly well made

are you sure you wired everything properly? i would bench test the radio outside of the truck to make sure its not bad.

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
are you sure you wired everything properly? i would bench test the radio outside of the truck to make sure its not bad.
How can i bench test it? I'm not very educated in electrical stuff

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
How can i bench test it? I'm not very educated in electrical stuff

connect it to a 12v battery. if it powers up, you have a wiring issue. if the fuse still blows, the radio has a problem.

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
connect it to a 12v battery. if it powers up, you have a wiring issue. if the fuse still blows, the radio has a problem.
What would i use to connect it just a wire from the battery straight to the power wire on the harness?

Chill72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a few reasons on why I pulled the trigger on this Pyle Radio
1. I have used Pyle products many times on cars, 4 wheelers, and even boats, and have never had a problem with any product.
2. When getting a double din in my truck, you have to cut a metal bracket out in the dash and I'm not taking a saw to my truck. that doesn't fancy me.
3. I just wanted something simple, with an Android OS, That didn't look fancy or flashy.
4. It's not about the cost. I work 3 jobs and have a decently good income for my age. So cost isn't necessarily an issue, I'm just not the kind to drop almost 300 for a radio when stuff tends to get stolen and broken into a lot in my area.

I appreciate everybody's responses and will do some research on the Antenna adapters and everything. But for now I'm going to stick with the Pyle. Also ordered Bilsteins and I'll be posting pictures of that too. :)

Edit: My Father just so happened to have an antenna adapter for my truck in this studio
Whatever helps you justify buying a POS. Now take some advice and return it.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Then why are you installing radios without any help?

Everybody has to start somewhere. I started wiring my own car when I was 16, read a ton of books, and probably redid my system about 10 times before I got it where I want it. Stereos aren't that hard as long as you pay attention to what you are doing.

Also if OP was really worried about radios getting stolen out of his truck, I'm sure any thief would more then likely try to steal his aftermarket flip up screen (before he realizes it's a pyle) then an OEM touchscreen as someone else suggested...

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
What would i use to connect it just a wire from the battery straight to the power wire on the harness?

Just take some wire scrap, connect the hot wire to hot side of the battery and a ground somewhere just to see if it turns on. And yep, right to the wire harness

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still haven't said what harness you used .... I somehow have a feeling the factory plug was cut off and it was hardwired (incorrectly) into the truck. The harness that came with the radio is only the harness for the radio - you need one for the car too. Pictures of the install?

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still haven't said what harness you used .... I somehow have a feeling the factory plug was cut off and it was hardwired (incorrectly) into the truck. The harness that came with the radio is only the harness for the radio - you need one for the car too. Pictures of the install?
Well Adrian you are exactly right. From watching videos of other installs they just cut and wired the harness into the factory wires so that's what i did. I can see now that might not have been the best choice as there isn't much wire in there to be working with if i mess it up

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just take some wire scrap, connect the hot wire to hot side of the battery and a ground somewhere just to see if it turns on. And yep, right to the wire harness
I'll try that when i get home from work today, thanks chris

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If you already cut the factory plug, it's too late, but for next time you do a car radio, try to find the adapter harness for the factory plug. It will plug right in and have all the wire pigtails that will wire straight to your aftermarket radio harness. This way if you ever remove the aftermarket radio, all you have to do is unplug it, and plug the oem radio right back in. Sometimes you can even find them at Walmart in the car audio section.

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you already cut the factory plug, it's too late, but for next time you do a car radio, try to find the adapter harness for the factory plug. It will plug right in and have all the wire pigtails that will wire straight to your aftermarket radio harness. This way if you ever remove the aftermarket radio, all you have to do is unplug it, and plug the oem radio right back in. Sometimes you can even find them at Walmart in the car audio section.
So what should i wire the factory connector back up and look for a adapter or am i f'ed at this point and should just go to a shop

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
So what should i wire the factory connector back up and look for a adapter or am i f'ed at this point and should just go to a shop

Honestly I would say do it right, right now. Have you ever soldered before? That's the best way, use some solder and heat shrink tape. First find the correct adapter that will work for ya, then solder all the old factory stuff back together, then plug in the new adapter, and your done. Trust me, next time you upgrade the radio, you'll thank yourself. It's much easier to fix now while it's fresh in your mind then in two years when you want something better. Don't be afraid of messing up, I can't even remember how many times I rebuilt my own system while I was learning it all.

OP
OP
Seth_5.7

Seth_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly I would say do it right, right now. Have you ever soldered before? That's the best way, use some solder and heat shrink tape. First find the correct adapter that will work for ya, then solder all the old factory stuff back together, then plug in the new adapter, and your done. Trust me, next time you upgrade the radio, you'll thank yourself. It's much easier to fix now while it's fresh in your mind then in two years when you want something better. Don't be afraid of messing up, I can't even remember how many times I rebuilt my own system while I was learning it all.
Yea i can solder, one more question, how do i go about looking for an adapter? Is there a certain plug type on each end or are they all mostly the same?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you still have the factory plug - re-connect it (if you left enough wires available to do so). Honestly at this point I would suggest having a pro fix it correctly. We would charge about $50 to put the factory plug back on, soldered, and tesa-taped so it looked like factory again.

Hopefully nothing else got fried. There are can-bus wires behind the radio that are very sensitive. We once had a kid try the exact same thing you did - he ended somehow frying is ignition pack. He ended up spending like $400 to get that fixed, then we had to charge him over double the original cost of a radio install to fix the stereo wiring.

In one of my original posts in this thread, I listed out the harness you need.

Last edited: