New motor @ 126k wtf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get on a lubrication strategy W/ a good synthetic oil ( Redline 5w30w) and a good oil filter (royal purple 20-820) synthetic media, silicone anti drain back check valve, W lube Gard bio tech 15oz, change it at no more than 5,000 to protect that new engine, this has been proven on here to ward off the dreaded cam lifter tick, Question what type of oil were you using and filter and at what interval.

P/S are you near the Soo Locks, I love the great lakes freighters Esp Lake Superior coming out of Duluth Minnesota.
I thought the strategy was Redline 5W30 w/no LubeGard or a good synthetic 5W30 such as PUP or Mobil 1 with LubeGard. The royal purple 20-820 is a good choice.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
annoying fuel cap off light BS ??
so you have a code P0456, gas cap
I would almost bet that you need to replace the PURGE VALVE, it is under the hood, close to the throttle body.
the other thing could be the ESIM, connected to the charcoal cannister by a short hose.
Hardly ever is the Gas Cap the issue.

Your other issue is #5 piston malfunction

OP
OP
Brian Keiper

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Get on a lubrication strategy W/ a good synthetic oil ( Redline 5w30w) and a good oil filter (royal purple 20-820) synthetic media, silicone anti drain back check valve, W lube Gard bio tech 15oz, change it at no more than 5,000 to protect that new engine, this has been proven on here to ward off the dreaded cam lifter tick, Question what type of oil were you using and filter and at what interval.

P/S are you near the Soo Locks, I love the great lakes freighters Esp Lake Superior coming out of Duluth Minnesota.
Quaker State Q5W20 HM55

OP
OP
Brian Keiper

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Yes soo locks home town

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think us early gen 4 guys got lucky. My 12 is about to roll 161k. Everything is as it came from the factory. I did get a cheap beater a few weeks ago, but only because I need the truck to last another 10 years.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2014 6.4 Hemi now has about 125K and has been through two trannies (38K, 90K) and an engine @ 110K. Thankfully, all covered under factory warranty or MaxCare extended warranty. Yeah, these truck aren't exactly like the old Maytag Man commercials. That being said, not sure you'll get very far with a Lemon Law suit on an engine that made it 2X the warranty period.

mlaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram and it is NOT a Dodge
Engine
3.6 v6 Pentastar Ram truck. Not a Dodge.
First off I love my ram but she's been kinda a lemmon I have stepped away for awhile as you Can see, I'm re-entering the forum because I have some major issues with my *2014 ram 1500 hemi, long story short I'm getting a new engine put in for 10,000, lifters are all f' ed up shop ruled out spark plugs and regular other symptoms, plus manifold bolts are gonzo, & this annoying fuel cap off light BS .. other than that beforehand the truck was pretty good... besides a new heater core off the bat when a first bought the truck, I hear 14s are prone to many problems and I can testify.

So @126k now and dropping a new engine possibly looking into a lemon law any suggestions.

Codes p0300 & p0305 Plus like 4 codes due to fuel cap bs, she has more codes than a game genie now.

Thanks fellas
You will not qualify for a Lemon law with a 10yr old truck with 100,000 miles.

OP
OP
Brian Keiper

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You will not qualify for a Lemon law with a 10yr old truck with 100,000 miles.
I realized this now thanks but now for me thinking about Quaker state and quickie lube shops in general, like someone mentioned above I need a good lube regiment gonna baby this thing after all this, probably schedule out my oil changes @ the dealership or a mechanic that will fit me in, Redline 5w30w) and a good oil filter (royal purple 20-820) synthetic media,

What's a silicone anti drain back check valve, W lube Gard bio tech 15oz???

Ty active thread because she's going in the 25th of September

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's a silicone anti drain back check valve, W lube Gard bio tech 15oz???
This refers to the oil filter, synthetic media is what the filter element is made of, silicone anti drain check valve is what's in the filter helps to keep oil pressure in the lubrication system, used in cold, warm start conditions.
LubeGard bio tech, is oil protectant to bring up the Moly content and reduce friction.

Treat it like a great lakes freighter!!!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
probably schedule out my oil changes @ the dealership or a mechanic that will fit me in
Dealers sell oil change packs for pretty cheap. IIRC, I pay around $75 for my 6.4 Hemi and last time I checked I can barely buy the supplies for that. It's also nice to be at the dealers for recalls (although those seem to be waning as my truck is nearly 10 years old). It was also helpful when I needed an engine replacement under warranty to have all my records there. 9.5 years and 125K miles and the dealer is the only mechanics that have touched my truck. I know lots here despise the dealers but I've had good luck with mine overall.

OP
OP
Brian Keiper

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This refers to the oil filter, synthetic media is what the filter element is made of, silicone anti drain check valve is what's in the filter helps to keep oil pressure in the lubrication system, used in cold, warm start conditions.
LubeGard bio tech, is oil protectant to bring up the Moly content and reduce friction.

Treat it like a great lakes freighter!!!
You know it buddy and sure will! Completely respect to your job and keep rocking & saving lives!

OP
OP
Brian Keiper

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Dealers sell oil change packs for pretty cheap. IIRC, I pay around $75 for my 6.4 Hemi and last time I checked I can barely buy the supplies for that. It's also nice to be at the dealers for recalls (although those seem to be waning as my truck is nearly 10 years old). It was also helpful when I needed an engine replacement under warranty to have all my records there. 9.5 years and 125K miles and the dealer is the only mechanics that have touched my truck. I know lots here despise the dealers but I've had good luck with mine overall.
Thanks for the responses I'm going to have them put in their blend for beginners, or should I go with the above listed blend and filter off the get go?

Ty it been a thing here lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230911-083227.png
    Screenshot_20230911-083227.png
    219.5 KB · Views: 8

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the responses I'm going to have them put in their blend for beginners, or should I go with the above listed blend and filter off the get go?
Yes, go with their break in oil & filter for the milage they recommend, Profs to the repair shop they are on their game!!!

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
First off I love my ram but she's been kinda a lemmon I have stepped away for awhile as you Can see, I'm re-entering the forum because I have some major issues with my *2014 ram 1500 hemi, long story short I'm getting a new engine put in for 10,000, lifters are all f' ed up shop ruled out spark plugs and regular other symptoms, plus manifold bolts are gonzo, & this annoying fuel cap off light BS .. other than that beforehand the truck was pretty good... besides a new heater core off the bat when a first bought the truck, I hear 14s are prone to many problems and I can testify.

So @126k now and dropping a new engine possibly looking into a lemon law any suggestions.

Codes p0300 & p0305 Plus like 4 codes due to fuel cap bs, she has more codes than a game genie now.

Thanks fellas

Your location says Sault Sainte Marie
There is no lemon law in Canada.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Dealers can do cheap oil changes because many of them don't use the oil they are supposed too.

You will most likely get an OEM oil filter but you probably won't get Pennzoil / Mopar oil, you get oil from a drum and it is cheap garbage that I wouldn't run in a beater. They also walk most people out the door with extra services.

I would rather pay a little more, use great oil and filters and do it myself than take my chances with the 16 year old kid doing oil changes at the dealership.

That being said it's great you are happy with your dealer. You don't hear that often.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Dealers can do cheap oil changes because many of them don't use the oil they are supposed too.

You will most likely get an OEM oil filter but the you probably won't get Pennzoil / Mopar oil, you get oil from a drum and it is cheap garbage that I wouldn't run in a beater. They also walk most people out the door with extra services.

I would rather pay a little more, use great oil and filters and do it myself than take my chances with the 16 year old kid doing oil changes at the dealership.

That being said it's great you are happy with your dealer. You don't hear that often.
They can put Crisco in it for all I care.... I've got a Lifetime Maxcare Warranty :) :)

It's worth noting one reason I'm so happy with the dealer is because I've gotten to know them quite well through two failed transmissions and a failed engine.

Don't get me wrong.... I get all the problems with dealers. My last truck was a diesel and I did all my own changes and maintenance since the dealers charge so much with the fuel filter, etc. I do somewhat miss the fun of hanging in the garage and doing it. And, turning my truck over to some 20 year old kid to work on it is a roll of the dice.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They can put Crisco in it for all I care.... I've got a Lifetime Maxcare Warranty :) :)

It's worth noting one reason I'm so happy with the dealer is because I've gotten to know them quite well through two failed transmissions and a failed engine.

Don't get me wrong.... I get all the problems with dealers. My last truck was a diesel and I did all my own changes and maintenance since the dealers charge so much with the fuel filter, etc. I do somewhat miss the fun of hanging in the garage and doing it. And, turning my truck over to some 20 year old kid to work on it is a roll of the dice.
Maybe they are putting crisco in it since you have gone through 2 transmissions and an engine...haha.