New motor @ 126k wtf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
First off I love my ram but she's been kinda a lemmon I have stepped away for awhile as you Can see, I'm re-entering the forum because I have some major issues with my *2014 ram 1500 hemi, long story short I'm getting a new engine put in for 10,000, lifters are all f' ed up shop ruled out spark plugs and regular other symptoms, plus manifold bolts are gonzo, & this annoying fuel cap off light BS .. other than that beforehand the truck was pretty good... besides a new heater core off the bat when a first bought the truck, I hear 14s are prone to many problems and I can testify.

So @126k now and dropping a new engine possibly looking into a lemon law any suggestions.

Codes p0300 & p0305 Plus like 4 codes due to fuel cap bs, she has more codes than a game genie now.

Thanks fellas

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1) Lemon Law. On a 9 year old truck, probably not, lol, unless the State/Province you reside in has some unique laws written in the lawbooks.
2) Who is doing the motor? Local shop, reman motor, Jasper motor? Beware some of the reman motors are junk, there are threads on this.
3) Read 2014 was a tuff year on the Hemi's, but just what I have heard/read. No actual experience on a 14. I had a 2012, and now a 5th Gen early build 2019.
4) Prices do not "look" out of line, actually they look decent. Only you know of the prices in your area.
5) My other concern would be state of the actual truck/body considering where you reside, be it either in Canada or maybe Upper Peninsula. Rust and corrosion would also factor in if I was going to go your route.

Good luck on all your stuff and hopefully whether U get replaced or go new, new/used, best of luck. In the end your wallet, and an informed decision and not internet guessnosis is always the best.

All above IMHO.

OP
OP
Brian Keiper

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yeah this shop has done *4 this year already Ram 1500 hemi motor replacements with the same issues, with round about years low to mid mileage on them, the motors they use have 0 miles on them and are 2020+ so it's kind of nice I'll have no miles on my truck. Still a kick in the guts, this shop has some of the best mechanics on hand to boot in the area, had 4k left on my loan originally bought for 18,000 with 76k on her, now just adding to my loan and continuing to pay Hands are tied.

Some other options for my area

Could get a rebuild for a couple thousand but without some of the stuff mentioned in the above *quote manifold job would be separate ect.

Could get a motor dropped in with over 50k on it for 4,500 from a not a super trustworthy shop

Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
Brian Keiper

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
1) Lemon Law. On a 9 year old truck, probably not, lol, unless the State/Province you reside in has some unique laws written in the lawbooks.
2) Who is doing the motor? Local shop, reman motor, Jasper motor? Beware some of the reman motors are junk, there are threads on this.
3) Read 2014 was a tuff year on the Hemi's, but just what I have heard/read. No actual experience on a 14. I had a 2012, and now a 5th Gen early build 2019.
4) Prices do not "look" out of line, actually they look decent. Only you know of the prices in your area.
5) My other concern would be state of the actual truck/body considering where you reside, be it either in Canada or maybe Upper Peninsula. Rust and corrosion would also factor in if I was going to go your route.

Good luck on all your stuff and hopefully whether U get replaced or go new, new/used, best of luck. In the end your wallet, and an informed decision and not internet guessnosis is always the best.

All above IMHO.

I’m probably not going to drop that kind of money on a ten year old truck from the rust belt. Unless it’s been exceptionally maintained?
Have you seen the price of trucks laitley I was gonna pay off and start new but after juggling options, comparison wise I'd end up spending more for something different with almost same year Miles and 2 owners prior. I bought mine before the price hikes in trucks.

OP
OP
Brian Keiper

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

All above IMHO.
Yes my friend has a 2012 and he's good on these issues, his truck has been solid has 274k on his HEMI. I have read some fellas having problems with 2014s mainly the gas cap issue, fuel charcoal filter sensor ect causing CEL, and my lifter junk with the HEMI tick massave power loss and shuddering, the gas cap irritated me but what ever it is I just bought a reader and clear the code everytime it popes up hopefully new motor gets rid of it not banking on it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you seen the price of trucks laitley I was gonna pay off and start new but after juggling options, comparison wise I'd end up spending more for something different with almost same year Miles and 2 owners prior. I bought mine before the price hikes in trucks.
Yup, prices a lil silly. Cost me almost 58K or more now to get (and friggin E junkola), what I bought for (48K MSRP), paid 41K, and not even have LED lighting etc (I have an early build 5th Gen that has some options no longer available on Bighorn without doing an order). But hey, make an informed decision and do what eva works for U. You said a 2020 or plus motor, what about the electronics difference on ECU and such? Hmmm, something for thought, I am not knowledgeable enough ref the ECU and such, just a wonder. Interesting on how they are sourcing a 2020 + motor with no miles on them. That is another hmmmmmm moment. But U there, making the choices that works for you. Good luck on all that stuff.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know you'd be paying more for a "newer" truck buy you'd be getting a newer truck with newer parts unless as already stated it was exceptionally maintained? My opinion.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah this shop has done *4 this year already Ram 1500 hemi motor replacements with the same issues, with round about years low to mid mileage on them, the motors they use have 0 miles on them and are 2020+ so it's kind of nice I'll have no miles on my truck. Still a kick in the guts, this shop has some of the best mechanics on hand to boot in the area, had 4k left on my loan originally bought for 18,000 with 76k on her, now just adding to my loan and continuing to pay Hands are tied.

Some other options for my area

Could get a rebuild for a couple thousand but without some of the stuff mentioned in the above *quote manifold job would be separate ect.

Could get a motor dropped in with over 50k on it for 4,500 from a not a super trustworthy shop

Thanks for the reply
whats the warranty on a new engine over there? if it is 3 years or better, I'd eat the ten.

The other option you only have 4k left, cut bait and go fishing maybe you get a better truck next time.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
the 6 cylinders are not known for lifter issues, here is one close to you. they may even give you some money for yours, doesnt hurt to try

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could just spend $1-2k and put lifters/cam in it its really not to bad of a job Ingore ppl complaining about metal shavings ect have done at least 30 of them now all still running great just have to flush it out change oil few times.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You could just spend $1-2k and put lifters/cam in it its really not to bad of a job Ingore ppl complaining about metal shavings ect have done at least 30 of them now all still running great just have to flush it out change oil few times.
That's my plan for if mine eats ****. Get a cheap dumpster temp car for daily driver and just take my time and do it in my garage at my own pace, send the heads to a machine shop ect.

Mikeffoxford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 hemi
First off I love my ram but she's been kinda a lemmon I have stepped away for awhile as you Can see, I'm re-entering the forum because I have some major issues with my *2014 ram 1500 hemi, long story short I'm getting a new engine put in for 10,000, lifters are all f' ed up shop ruled out spark plugs and regular other symptoms, plus manifold bolts are gonzo, & this annoying fuel cap off light BS .. other than that beforehand the truck was pretty good... besides a new heater core off the bat when a first bought the truck, I hear 14s are prone to many problems and I can testify.

So @126k now and dropping a new engine possibly looking into a lemon law any suggestions.

Codes p0300 & p0305 Plus like 4 codes due to fuel cap bs, she has more codes than a game genie now.

Thanks fellas
I have a 2013 ram 1500 had issues with cylinder 5 misfire after being to dealer for repair they quoted 3500 to do engine overhaul and see what issue was a friend put me in touch with mechanic and found out I went to high school with him he said I have bad spot on cam and he did many of them so he did it now perfect

hallmarc47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel for you on that decision. A little over a year ago, I took my 2015 1500 Hemi with 111,000 miles to a dealership. It had gone into limp mode. First took it to a local shop I trust, but after looking at it, they said that it'd be best to take to dealer. The crankshaft bearings were shot and they said metal was in the engine. End story, put in Mopar remanufactured engine at price of $9000+. They gave an unlimited mileage warranty with it. As others pointed out, what other option could you do considering the prices of new and used trucks at that time. And it was paid for already. I had already had other recall and warranty work done on this truck. They had to replace the entire radio/navigation system. And the radio is poor. Never had so many problems with any of the F-150's I've owned in past.

OP
OP
Brian Keiper

Brian Keiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I feel for you on that decision. A little over a year ago, I took my 2015 1500 Hemi with 111,000 miles to a dealership. It had gone into limp mode. First took it to a local shop I trust, but after looking at it, they said that it'd be best to take to dealer. The crankshaft bearings were shot and they said metal was in the engine. End story, put in Mopar remanufactured engine at price of $9000+. They gave an unlimited mileage warranty with it. As others pointed out, what other option could you do considering the prices of new and used trucks at that time. And it was paid for already. I had already had other recall and warranty work done on this truck. They had to replace the entire radio/navigation system. And the radio is poor. Never had so many problems with any of the F-150's I've owned in past.
I'm in the same boat probably my last ram purchase in all reality, the truck should be solid AF after this overhaul

GeoffG68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m probably not going to drop that kind of money on a ten year old truck from the rust belt. Unless it’s been exceptionally maintained?
I'm in Metro Detroit. The DS trucks, while not perfect, hold up well if you *wash* them in the wintertime. Mine has also gotten the fluid film treatment. Hoping for another 5-7 rust free years out of my 2011.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the same boat probably my last ram purchase in all reality, the truck should be solid AF after this overhaul
Get on a lubrication strategy W/ a good synthetic oil ( Redline 5w30w) and a good oil filter (royal purple 20-820) synthetic media, silicone anti drain back check valve, W lube Gard bio tech 15oz, change it at no more than 5,000 to protect that new engine, this has been proven on here to ward off the dreaded cam lifter tick, Question what type of oil were you using and filter and at what interval.

P/S are you near the Soo Locks, I love the great lakes freighters Esp Lake Superior coming out of Duluth Minnesota.

Last edited: