New Owner / exhaust advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pkrexer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just recently purchased 2013 ram bighorn with the 5.7 hemi and love it. Wish I had did a bit more research before buying, as mine came with the 6 speed, 3.55 gears. Would have loved the 8 speed, but at least it does have a limited slip diff.

Anyhow, the only thing I've done to it so far is install a bully dog tuner and a drop in K&N. I'm not looking to go extreme, just add a little more power and untap the sweet sound of the hemi, which brings me to my question. Is going to a full cat back worth it?

I was thinking of just doing a magnaflow muffler with a y-pipe while keeping the stock resonator. Would this give me the sound I'm looking for or should I go full cat back?

Selcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I've always done a full cat back... can't beat the sound and the fit and finish is always top notch... that said, I've only ever used MBRP cat back exhaust systems in all my trucks... my new 2015 Ram that arrives at the end of the month will be getting another MBRP kit like all those before it... MBRP is the best sounding exhaust, in my opinion... quite a few guys on here have their kits...

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is really no benefit of over spending on a catback, there will be a minimal difference in power, if any at all. Buy the muffler of your choice and have a shop weld it in for $70-$100. If you want larger tips look into moes 5" or mbrp's. I spent like $350 installed on my magnaflow muffler and 5" tips :)

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Just had a 14" magnaflow put on 30 minutes ago. Sounds great. You can finally tell it's a hemi under the hood.it was $175 installed

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is going to a full cat back worth it?

IMHO, no.

I was thinking of just doing a magnaflow muffler with a y-pipe while keeping the stock resonator. Would this give me the sound I'm looking for or should I go full cat back?

With no more mods than you've listed, you'll be just as likely to 'displace/loose' power as gain it when you start hacking up the OEM exhaust.

I like the magnaflow sound myself. I would recommend you install the Mag **** of your choice and call it good. (You won't be leaving any untapped HP on the table,,,)

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I stopped doing full catback systems some time ago and have stuck with a muffler replacements. In one case I did a single in / dual out muffler upgrade with dual pipes out to the back.

I feel I get just as much out of that approach as I would with a full catback as the most restrictive part of the stock exhaust gets removed.

nightrunner066

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 8 Speed
I will have a DODm80 for sale, Install it yourself, no permanent modifications to your exhaust system.

Last edited:

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 14" magnaflow and absolutely love the sound.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
14" Boeschbuilt Magna-flow Kit... Definitely recommend it!