New tire pressure sensor monitoring question on my Ram 1500 2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a question about the tire pressure monitoring on my 2014 ram 1500. I have a used spare rim and I want to put on a new tire I bought and I also bought a new mopar tire sensor with valve stem. I want to use it as a full size spare. The old valve stem was missing the sensor. How does the new sensor get activated to that vehicle or does it do it automatically? Not sure how that works when the vehicle has 5 rims with sensors

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If I understand correctly...
The "old valve stem was missing the sensor" is referring to the factory spare?
The spare, from the factory, does not have a sensor, so it was not missing.
It sounds like all you need to do is mount your new tire on your rim with a standard valve stem.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a question about the tire pressure monitoring on my 2014 ram 1500. I have a used spare rim and I want to put on a new tire I bought and I also bought a new mopar tire sensor with valve stem. I want to use it as a full size spare. The old valve stem was missing the sensor. How does the new sensor get activated to that vehicle or does it do it automatically? Not sure how that works when the vehicle has 5 rims with sensors

With my '21 Warlock, it automatically relearns the TPMS sensors after I switch my seasonal wheels, no effort is required.

When I pay for the seasonal rotation, I have the 4 wheels with TPMS sensors installed and 4 more in the box, the TPMS monitor doesn't have any problems reading the installed wheels.

I've read that it might take 10 or 15 miles of driving but AFAIK, all Ram trucks automatically relearn the TPMS sensors installed when mounted on the hubs.

One recommendation is to test mount the used rim into the spare position before having the tire mounted.

Sometimes the center opening in the rim is too small to allow the carrier bracket to feed through.

You may also want to test fit the new unmounted tire into the spare cavity and consider it will be a slight bit larger when inflated.

I've heard that some tire sizes require to be deflated before they fit in the spare cavity opening.

Last edited:
OP
OP

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CUR, Thanks, Yes the old rim had a sensor that was removed so the valve stem has the stem for the sensor.
Ram d=Driver, Thanks for the info on the spare tire mounting. I have the dual tailpipes and the OE spare does look smaller. Glad to hear they read fine after installing. Just wanted to make sure I didn`t have to reset anything. May sound dumb but why does the spare tire sensor not pick up the signal. I assume my current spare has no sensor. Does it have to be mounted and spinning on the axles?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not so sure about the necessity to be spinning.

The TPMS is using an RF transmission so, it wouldn't be tough to limit the field of reception to the wheel wells.

Just think if the reception was wide open, every time you park in a parking lot filled with TPMS sensors, your vehicle would overloaded with data and most like would lockup, freeze, or technically kack. :cool:

That's why I mentioned when I have my next seasons wheels in the box, the TPMS monitor never failed to detect the mounted wheels. :cool:

I don't recall the exact size of my so-called full sized spare but I know it's smaller than my winter wheels which are 245/75/17.

I believe my spare is something like 235/85/17. I bet Rick remembers after our last discussion on spare tire sizes. :cool:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm not so sure about the necessity to be spinning.

The TPMS is using an RF transmission so, it wouldn't be tough to limit the field of reception to the wheel wells.

Just think if the reception was wide open, every time you park in a parking lot filled with TPMS sensors, your vehicle would overloaded with data and most like would lockup, freeze, or technically kack. :cool:

That's why I mentioned when I have my next seasons wheels in the box, the TPMS monitor never failed to detect the mounted wheels. :cool:

I don't recall the exact size of my so-called full sized spare but I know it's smaller than my winter wheels which are 245/75/17.

I believe my spare is something like 235/85/17. I bet Rick remembers after our last discussion on spare tire sizes. :cool:

I'm not sure if they use the same Temporary spare on the 5th Gens,but the Temporary spare for the 4th Gens is 235/85/17 like you mentioned. Not really what you'd call a common size for a truck,so i'm guessing FCA got a hell'va deal on them ;)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure if they use the same Temporary spare on the 5th Gens,but the Temporary spare for the 4th Gens is 235/85/17 like you mentioned. Not really what you'd call a common size for a truck,so i'm guessing FCA got a hell'va deal on them ;)

It likely started off as a good deal and could have become a standard, after that. Nothing like a SOP that fits requirements (semi sort of but NOT) but nicely fits the ever shrinking physical space where the spare lives. :cool:

Last edited: