New to dodge, scared :-(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

natedefelice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck was missing horribly when I got it, the guy before me said that it was running great, then he pressure washed under the hood. so I took it to the mechanic for a tune up. mechanic said that a tune up would do nothing, low compression in numerous cylinders. when I drove it home from the mechanics it ran perfect, no miss or anything. then it started when the truck warmed up. so I changed the plugs thinking if it was a major motor problem it would not just come in and out of runninf great to horrible.. it ran awesome again, until it warmed up. advice?

Sacredsouls

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely sounds like an ignition problem somewhere. My Harley would warm up and die and that is because the pick up coil is in the nose come was going bad. It would get hot and shut off cool down and run great.

I would start with plugs and wires and a cap and rotor. I believe autozone or similar should be able to check your ignition module for fail.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF.

Your mechanic sounds kinda screwy.

Do you have any codes popping up? You can go to Autozone and they can scan for any codes.

You stated the truck runs great until it warms up. Your truck had 2 modes it runs in. Closed loop and open loop. It runs in one mode until it warms up and then switches to the other. I never can remember which one is which. Hopefully someone else will confirm. I don't think you have major issues.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Sounds like water got into something that it should not have when the previous owner pressure washed the engine. Get some dieletric grease (most auto parts stores have it), and some electrical contact cleaner. Then start taking apart each and every connector. Do one at a time. Spray the contact cleaner into both sides, then use a small amount of the grease coat the contacts. That should eliminate any possible water in the connector issues. Also like Sacredsouls said check the ignition system. Any water that gets into the distributor can cause problems. Replace the cap and rotor if you have to.

OP
OP
N

natedefelice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thank you guys, will try some stuff this weekend.. absolutely love my dodge! just hope everything works out with her

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
tuneup wouldnt hurt either and real easy to do on the 4.7

OP
OP
N

natedefelice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey boys, okay so today I drove around a good bit, not a single miss!!! Idk if something might have finally dried out or if im even home free, but the check engine light also went out on its own... SHE RUNS GREAT! I love my new dodge :)... I have three more questions: a) Got quoted by the "screwy" mechanic 700$ for new rack and pinion and power steering pump. How do i figure out if i need both. Ive just been dumping a bottle of atf in every other day or something and it all works fine, obviously leaking tho. Is that a high quote? and b) Heat only blows out passenger side, read that its a blender motor. Is this something easy to do myself, expensive? and c) I have read alot about oil problems, with a 160xxx miles should i do a intense flush maybe? lot of see foam. Good oil to throw in her? synthetic? Any advice would be great. Thank you all so much thus far

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
My power steering hose was leaking the other day and all i had to do was put another stainless steel clamp right next to the original factory pressed clamp.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
My power steering hose was leaking the other day and all i had to do was put another stainless steel clamp right next to the original factory pressed clamp.

Common problem I'm afraid...

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Start looking the truck over yourself. Clean some thing up(gently). You will be amazed at what you can figure out.

Mechanics are in business to make money. They will recommend things that need to be replaced because of age. A great mechanic will explain and show you what's wrong. And tell you honestly how bad it really is.

ramman87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Magnum
If you do have any check engine codes, and don't have a scanner.

You can find the codes yourself.

Using the key in the ignition, insert it in the off position, move it on-off-on-off-on. keep it in the on position at the third on. very soon your engine codes will flash where your mileage read out is.

Once you have your codes go to this site Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep Computer Error Codes

However, this applies to only certain chrysler vehicles.

Good luck