New to me truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I had my 2010 1500 trx4 totaled about a year ago now, and have been just using an agency owned 2023 2500 til now since that’s the only place I really drive to, but finally bought another truck of my own. Picked up a 2019 ram classic bighorn (crew cab and 6’4 bed) with 35k miles, a hemi and 4x4 for not too much and dang is the difference with the eight speed transmission noticeable to my old hemi powered 1500. I will say though, not a fan of the chrome bumpers, so I ordered a ranchhand bumper for the front and might fab up something for the rear as well. I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the “active Grille shutters” though personally I don’t understand the need to have those since my old truck didn’t, but maybe they actually are useful.IMG_9557.jpegIMG_9556.jpeg

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I had my 2010 1500 trx4 totaled about a year ago now, and have been just using an agency owned 2023 2500 til now since that’s the only place I really drive to, but finally bought another truck of my own. Picked up a 2019 ram classic bighorn (crew cab and 6’4 bed) with 35k miles, a hemi and 4x4 for not too much and dang is the difference with the eight speed transmission noticeable to my old hemi powered 1500. I will say though, not a fan of the chrome bumpers, so I ordered a ranchhand bumper for the front and might fab up something for the rear as well. I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the “active Grille shutters” though personally I don’t understand the need to have those since my old truck didn’t, but maybe they actually are useful.View attachment 535903View attachment 535902
Nothing wrong with the chrome on that truck! But I'm a dinosaur, I still like my women with fur where fur should be.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If in Canada, the active grill shutters help the engine warm up quicker and stay warmer when it‘s crazy cold out while driving. So in Idaho, it would less useful most days.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pulled them off my '16 and have zero problems. Summer temp when towing my boat doesn't climb up like it did when they were intact.

I suspect they were installed to get that extra 1/2 mile per gallon (or less) of fuel economy.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If in Canada, the active grill shutters help the engine warm up quicker and stay warmer when it‘s crazy cold out while driving. So in Idaho, it would less useful most days.
You better look at a map,the north end of Idaho is on the south end of Alberta,they can get as cold as we do in the winter.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Welcome back !!

The Active grille shutters would help to warm the engine compartment quicker, which warms the coolant quicker, which warms the interior of the cab a bit quicker.
It can also work as a Winter Front, like some of the Departments larger trucks may have for blocking out Ice Rain, etc.

I don't know if your Ram has the Active Air Dam, if it does, you may want to remove it, because i know that at times you have to pull off onto the shoulder of the road & it will just catch on some brush & damage it anyway.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chrome! It's sharp on your tk. :waytogo:

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn't worry much about the shutters, especially in ID. LOTS of cars have them, they're pretty well sorted out. In fact, the 22 Sorento rental I'm in right now does not have shutters and I wish it did, maybe the terrible heater would work better.

I opted to remove one pair of slats from the setup though for a bit more flow with them 'closed'. I don't see as many temp peaks during warmup now.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
So I had my 2010 1500 trx4 totaled about a year ago now, and have been just using an agency owned 2023 2500 til now since that’s the only place I really drive to, but finally bought another truck of my own. Picked up a 2019 ram classic bighorn (crew cab and 6’4 bed) with 35k miles, a hemi and 4x4 for not too much and dang is the difference with the eight speed transmission noticeable to my old hemi powered 1500. I will say though, not a fan of the chrome bumpers, so I ordered a ranchhand bumper for the front and might fab up something for the rear as well. I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on the “active Grille shutters” though personally I don’t understand the need to have those since my old truck didn’t, but maybe they actually are useful.View attachment 535903View attachment 535902
Did you buy this from the Maverick up in Boise Idaho? they sell good rigs.

OP
OP
Forestry_Ridge

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Welcome back !!

The Active grille shutters would help to warm the engine compartment quicker, which warms the coolant quicker, which warms the interior of the cab a bit quicker.
It can also work as a Winter Front, like some of the Departments larger trucks may have for blocking out Ice Rain, etc.

I don't know if your Ram has the Active Air Dam, if it does, you may want to remove it, because i know that at times you have to pull off onto the shoulder of the road & it will just catch on some brush & damage it anyway.
It did. First thing I removed when I got it home. Right along side installing hideaway strobes on all four sides of the truck and installing a strobe lights controllers and some vhf and cb radio stuff.

OP
OP
Forestry_Ridge

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did you buy this from the Maverick up in Boise Idaho? they sell good rigs.
Yeah, only issue is it’s got a phantom issue with the trailer brake controller and the passenger fog light doesn’t like to work so I’m taking it back down there in a week to get those two issues fixed. I made sure it wasn’t bulbs, tried checking the wiring to the plugs, couldn’t figure it out.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Yeah, only issue is it’s got a phantom issue with the trailer brake controller and the passenger fog light doesn’t like to work so I’m taking it back down there in a week to get those two issues fixed. I made sure it wasn’t bulbs, tried checking the wiring to the plugs, couldn’t figure it out.
ahh dang, spoke too soon. That is annoying for a not even 5 year old truck.

OP
OP
Forestry_Ridge

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
ahh dang, spoke too soon. That is annoying for a not even 5 year old truck.
Yep but hey, I’m just glad I’ve got something that’s newer and with less than 40k miles. First time I’ve ever bought a vehicle with less than a hundred thousand so I’m happy still. Also it’s nice having CarPlay and a 6’4 bed vs the 5’7 bed I used to have.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I like chrome bumpers just fine. I do not get the need to go buy an $800-1200 front bumper. But I don't get black wheels and lifting trucks either.

Tohopko

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! I'm just up the road, and just acquired my Bighorn. Same config, just different wheels. These won't be on for long!411173735_336990359174428_7132294365596405476_n.jpg

OP
OP
Forestry_Ridge

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I like chrome bumpers just fine. I do not get the need to go buy an $800-1200 front bumper. But I don't get black wheels and lifting trucks either.
The ranch hand bumpers I like just because it’s extra peace of mind for front end protection and that front tow hitch is really useful for getting trailers parked up nicely lol. We run them on all our wildland engines as well for a reason.

OP
OP
Forestry_Ridge

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Nice! I'm just up the road, and just acquired my Bighorn. Same config, just different wheels. These won't be on for long!View attachment 536033
Mine has so far been treating me well here in the wonderful McCall region for the few weeks I’ve had it now. Also has pulled a few people out of the snow and back on the road recently lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1695.jpeg
    IMG_1695.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 6

Tohopko

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has so far been treating me well here in the wonderful McCall region for the few weeks I’ve had it now. Also has pulled a few people out of the snow and back on the road recently lol.
Sweet! Mine still has the stock SRA tires. I barely pull myself through the snow, let alone anyone else! Just making decisions on wheels, tires, and a mild lift before I jump into the mods. I had front an rear Ranchhands on the 2500 in my icon. That front bumper accounted for 3 deer and one spike elk without flinching, but man, was it a heavy beast!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat