New to me truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"That front bumper accounted for 3 deer and one spike elk without flinching, but man, was it a heavy beast!"

Great statement right there

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Sweet! Mine still has the stock SRA tires. I barely pull myself through the snow, let alone anyone else! Just making decisions on wheels, tires, and a mild lift before I jump into the mods. I had front an rear Ranchhands on the 2500 in my icon. That front bumper accounted for 3 deer and one spike elk without flinching, but man, was it a heavy beast!
If you have hit 4 animals, it would help to change the way you drive. I used to work all over Wyoming and Idaho. There are herds of animals trying to commit suicide on your truck all the time. We tried to avoid driving at dusk and at dark. Our company rule was go under the speed limit and have a spotter in the passenger seat.

Tohopko

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have hit 4 animals, it would help to change the way you drive. I used to work all over Wyoming and Idaho. There are herds of animals trying to commit suicide on your truck all the time. We tried to avoid driving at dusk and at dark. Our company rule was go under the speed limit and have a spotter in the passenger seat.
LOL, none of those animals were struck while driving over the speed limit. 2 deer in Texas, one in Idaho, one in Nebraska. Elk in Idaho. The only one in full daylight was an Idaho deer that committed full on suicide while I was moving at 30mph (in a 35).

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
When I worked in Laramie, WY one of my co-workers showed up late. He came to work and explained he had hit a deer on the way in. I found out later it was his 9th one. I worked with another guy from North Dakota. He put about 150,000 miles on company trucks and never even put a scratch on one. A lot his travel as a wildlife biologist was in the bush, sometimes with chains on all 4 wheels.

OP
OP
Forestry_Ridge

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When I worked in Laramie, WY one of my co-workers showed up late. He came to work and explained he had hit a deer on the way in. I found out later it was his 9th one. I worked with another guy from North Dakota. He put about 150,000 miles on company trucks and never even put a scratch on one. A lot his travel as a wildlife biologist was in the bush, sometimes with chains on all 4 wheels.
Funny, a logger I’ve worked with a handful of times since I’ve worked in forestry(not quite an actual forester position yet but hopefully soon) has a similar set of bad luck. Yet you put him in almost any rig or machine and he’s the most careful person you will see. Makes me wonder if he just goes easy when we are there or if he just has **** poor luck with animals and his rigs.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pulled them off my '16 and have zero problems. Summer temp when towing my boat doesn't climb up like it did when they were intact.

I suspect they were installed to get that extra 1/2 mile per gallon (or less) of fuel economy.
Removed them on my truck also, warm up time is the same as before and coolant temp more stable, runs between 198-204 on factory t stat. Also don't get the spikes up to 220 any more.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think I've hit 9 deer, but I think 6 is a safe number (lost count). Plus the ones my wife has hit. Plus countless 'close-calls'. Those I've hit, there were as many on clear sunny days as at night, none speeding. I've literally had deer just suddenly dart out from a field (sometimes not even woods!) at full speed. Now....you'd say, "well just hit your brakes!". Sounds like good advice. But as you guys know deer have really terrible eyesight. And when they do see what you are (up close) they can do unpredictable things like suddenly decided to change direction, go faster, slow down, jump. Sometimes go the direction of your travel, or skate around on pavement like ice. Their movements can happen at the snap of the fingers at the last split second ..while yer riding the brakes. Sometimes despite a driver's best evasive maneuvering ...ya still end up hitting them, unfortunately.

A robust front bumper is only going to be partially effective. I've had deer literally face-plant my passenger door/window...or ya clip them in the corner and they swing around and damage the side (sometimes significantly). Or flip up and damage the hood, and/or crush the windshield. I hit one in a car that flipped up and completely went over the top of the car ...land and keep on running. I wouldn't put an ugly monsterous (and taxing) front bumper on my tk thinking it'll completely eliminate deer damage. They don't. Get one that looks cool b/c you like it. Hopefully it'll help out just in case.

Last edited:

Tohopko

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2019
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A robust front bumper is only going to be partially effective. I've had deer literally face-plant my passenger door/window...or ya clip them in the corner and they swing around and damage the side (sometimes significantly). Or flip up and damage the hood, and/or crush the windshield. I hit one in a car that flipped up and completely went over the top of the car ...land and keep on running. I wouldn't put an ugly monsterous (and taxing) front bumper on my tk thinking it'll completely eliminate deer damage. They don't. Get one that looks cool b/c you like it. Hopefully it'll help out just in case.

Yep. One of my deer was actually on the rear bumper--she ran headlong into the rear quarter, got snagged by the rear bumper, and went under the trailer I was towing. The elk barely clipped the bumper, but landed squarely on the hood and took off the passenger mirror as the rolled away.

OP
OP
Forestry_Ridge

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't think I've hit 9 deer, but I think 6 is a safe number (lost count). Plus the ones my wife has hit. Plus countless 'close-calls'. Those I've hit, there were as many on clear sunny days as at night, none speeding. I've literally had deer just suddenly dart out from a field (sometimes not even woods!) at full speed. Now....you'd say, "well just hit your brakes!". Sounds like good advice. But as you guys know deer have really terrible eyesight. And when they do see what you are (up close) they can do unpredictable things like suddenly decided to change direction, go faster, slow down, jump. Sometimes go the direction of your travel, or skate around on pavement like ice. Their movements can happen at the snap of the fingers at the last split second ..while yer riding the brakes. Sometimes despite a driver's best evasive maneuvering ...ya still end up hitting them, unfortunately.

I’m more after the front tow hitch that comes with those bumpers. And mounting for my emergency lights for fire.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m more after the front tow hitch that comes with those bumpers. And mounting for my emergency lights for fire.
RANCH Hand does not have front hitches on 1500 bumpers, Starts with 2500's.

CURT Hitches has an adapter type front hitch unit you can put on a 1500. Now whether that is just stock bumper, or near a grill guard or under a Ranch hand bumper, that requires more research.

OP
OP
Forestry_Ridge

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
RANCH Hand does not have front hitches on 1500 bumpers, Starts with 2500's.

CURT Hitches has an adapter type front hitch unit you can put on a 1500. Now whether that is just stock bumper, or near a grill guard or under a Ranch hand bumper, that requires more research.
I’m not buying a ranch hand front bumper but a ranch hand style front bumper. Steelcraft makes one that is very similar but with a front tow hitch

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not buying a ranch hand front bumper but a ranch hand style front bumper. Steelcraft makes one that is very similar but with a front tow hitch
Ok just saying as 80% trucks here got cow catchers. Rural TX. I had grille guard on Crown Vic and I got a hog at 35 mph. Dat sucker got up and ran away. Did not see was nighttime and stupid froggy (fog).

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I have managed to miss a lot of horses, cattle, deer and elk in 30 years of working in the bush. In Nevada horses and cattle are all over the roads and are our worst hazards. They are big animals and slow to get out of the way. I sick my stock dogs on the ones that are reluctant to leave the road. They like the heat from the asphalt in the evening.

This summer I was coming back from Washington in the woods in northern CA. It was fading light so I was going below the speed limit. I came around a corner and there was a large commercial truck in the road with the door open. The driver was surveying the scene of the deer parts strewn across the road and spread all over the grill of his truck. He was in shock and I should have stopped to help him.

I think anyone that has hit 6 or 9 or 20 deer is not as careful of a driver as they think they are.
Recently I hit a bobcat while towing a boat. I felt bad about that one, but could not stop in time. He commited suicide on the bumper. Be ever vigilant.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am no help on this, as my 2015 has different grill.
2015 Ram 1500 laramie pic 1.jpg

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It did. First thing I removed when I got it home. Right along side installing hideaway strobes on all four sides of the truck and installing a strobe lights controllers and some vhf and cb radio stuff.
Do you have any issues with the electronics like stereo,navigation system since hooking up your cb radio stuff? Wondering which way to go with antenna as well. I already have a Wilson 5000. My setup would interfere with neighbors satellite tv from Direct TV. Grandson would be playing with remote control truck, I would key up my mic,would shut his truck down lol

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont mind the chrome bumper, but that half chrome half painted thing you got on there just looks like a fence turtle

Of course, even with the full chrome bumpers, I went with aftermarket on mine

Attachments

• 20240110_163204.jpg
    20240110_163204.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357