New to RAM - from a $72k Denali to a $20k Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
I've got a stupid question. Was just looking into my tuning options. Please don't tell me that there are no proper tuners for the 2018 HEMI. And no, I don't want any inline crap.

One reason why I sold my Duramax was the lack of tuners. GM started encrypting the ECU heavily. They just cracked it, but the package costs north of $5000 all together.

I won't be buying another truck that I can't tune.

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Well, I got the cashier's check, insurance and plane ticket. Will be picking up my new truck tomorrow and drive it back home in one day. V8, 4X4, anti spin diff, power group, chrome package, otherwise bare bones Tradesman. All the capabilities, no nonsense and still a great deal.

I hope it will last me 30 years with good maintenance. I'll do all work on it. No dealer will screw this one up.

Image2.png

Last edited:

Can Water Geo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I got the cashier's check, insurance and plane ticket. Will be picking up my new truck tomorrow and drive it back home in one day. V8, 4X4, anti spin diff, power group, chrome package, otherwise bare bones Tradesman. All the capabilities, no nonsense and still a great deal.

I hope it will last me 30 years with good maintenance. I'll do all work on it. No dealer will screw this one up.

Image2.png
Congrats! Like you I’m single but do like a crew cab. If anything I’d actually consider removing the rear seat for more interior storage lol!

Coming from a 2014 Silverado myself I think you’ll enjoy the Hemi. The mileage is comparable, the ride is nicer and frankly it’s more fun!

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
At dealer right now. Truck has a vibration issue. Sat on lot for a year. Just asked them to put new shoes on. 1 year is too much IMO.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a common issue with the crappy SRAs. Luckily, mine aren't bad, and it was on the lot for 11 months. I had the SRAs on a new '09 Aspen. They were out-of-round after sitting on the lot for more than 1 year. Goodyear let me warranty them out and I was able to put Silent Armors on.

Good luck with new truck.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Image2.png

Congrats hope you enjoyed the ride home. Looks good btw.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I ditched the Goodyears on my truck at 2300miles. Put a set of Nitto TG G2's on it.

congrats on the new ride. I don't think you will disappointed with your decision. Having a 4x4 option is never a bad thing even though it added a bit to the price.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Congrsts! Glad it worked out for you and very smart decision going 4x4! You won't regret it. Reg cab trucks are cool.

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Made it home safe. Put some 750 miles on it and like it very much. Thank you so much for all the great replies! This is the best car / truck forum so far.

I'll be doing a first oil change today in order to get the increased debris and shavings from the break-in process out of the system.

Spent some time reading related threads.

One common census is to use the Royal Purple filter along with Redline 5w30.

As far as I know, the 2018 5.7 come with a Mopar filter and Mopar 5w-20 conventional oild made by Pennzoil.

Did you guys go full synthetic with your first oil change? Did you stick with the OEM Mopar filter? Any other input in regards to oil changes?

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, mine sat on the lot for a year and needed new tires. Goodyear replaced them free under their warranty. Congrats and have fun.

Getting additional $1250 off for new tires. Will go straight into better wheels and off road worthy tires.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did a full synthetic at 4k miles at the dealer for my 1st oil change. I'm sure they used mopar filter.

Made it home safe. Put some 750 miles on it and like it very much. Thank you so much for all the great replies! This is the best car / truck forum so far.

I'll be doing a first oil change today in order to get the increased debris and shavings from the break-in process out of the system.

Spent some time reading related threads.

One common census is to use the Royal Purple filter along with Redline 5w30.

As far as I know, the 2018 5.7 come with a Mopar filter and Mopar 5w-20 conventional oild made by Pennzoil.

Did you guys go full synthetic with your first oil change? Did you stick with the OEM Mopar filter? Any other input in regards to oil changes?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I just did my oil change not too long ago. I ued Mobile 1 filter and Mobile 1 full synthetic extended interval 5W20. Going to let it slosh around in there for a bit then switch to Redline oil and the Royal Purple filter.

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
So is the OEM oil made by Pennzoil a none synthetic oil? Here the Pennzoil oils listed for this 2018 5.7:

Premium Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20
Standard Pennzoil Gold 5W-20 Synthetic Blend
Alternative Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 Full Synthetic

And that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 comes back as a fully synthetic EVERYWHERE I look.
So why keep people saying that they switched to synthetic when the truck comes with a synthetic oil to begin with? Or did that change in 2018 and older trucks came with none synthetic oil?

OP
OP
crockett

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Got some of those dry and nasty ribs at Texas Roadhouse on the way back.

It's a good truck so far. No issues, and pretty quick.

Img_0944.jpg

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
to @ramcares I lost my thread and all of the messages I sent regarding the lower bin latch for the center console on my 2012 bighorn-perhaps you received them?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevo5441