New to Ram! Need help with running boards and other things!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Afesposi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hi all!
I am a proud owner of a new 2024 Tradesman 1500 crew cab. I have always wanted a truck and now, even better, I am part of this awesome forum!

I am looking to add a few things and wanted to know your advice. I of course have searched existing forums, but it's hard to track down suggested brands.
1- I want to add running boards/step rails for the sides to get in - any suggested brands you all like? (UPDATE bought some from Real Truck)
2- I would also like to get a good bed cover ( I was thinking Gator but open to suggestions) UPDATE Got a Gator cover!
3- I would love to get a good bed mat/tailgate mat and was thinking Mopar, but they're about 220 with shipping - ouch! Update - Got a bed mat!

Thank you all so much for the welcomes and advice!!

Last edited:

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Welcome to the forum.

Post your questions in the 5th generation section and you will get answers.

As far as a bed mat, I've had the Mopar mat since 2007 and it's still in awesome condition and it has survived everything!

Red

OP
OP
A

Afesposi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Welcome to the forum.

Post your questions in the 5th generation section and you will get answers.

As far as a bed mat, I've had the Mopar mat since 2007 and it's still in awesome condition and it has survived everything!

Red
Thanks sir - I will do that

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Check out the Rough Country brand bed mats, I have one and it’s very well fitted and durable.

For steps or boards, there’s many options. My opinion I’d avoid anything requiring drilling and stay with brands using the OEM mounting points.

Aries2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi all!
I am a proud owner of a new 2024 Tradesman 1500 crew cab. I have always wanted a truck and now, even better, I am part of this awesome forum!

I am looking to add a few things and wanted to know your advice. I of course have searched existing forums, but it's hard to track down suggested brands.
1- I want to add running boards/step rails for the sides to get in - any suggested brands you all like?
2- I would also like to get a good bed cover ( I was thinking Gator but open to suggestions)
3- I would love to get a good bed mat/tailgate mat and was thinking Mopar, but they're about 220 with shipping - ouch!

Thank you all so much in advance!
Welcome to the forum.

I have a spray in liner so didn't buy a mat for my Ram but for my last one, an F-150, I got a heavy duty rubber mat at AgriSupply in Garner, NC for around $99.

You may want to check them out. I used to live in Pittsboro, so have an idea about where you're located and it's a pretty straight shot to get there from your area, plus it's an excuse to drive your new truck. You can what they have in stock by checking them out online first.

Enjoy!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
IS a TRADESMAN a 5th Gen ?
They would not be built in Sterling Heights, Mich.
They would be built in Warren, Mich.

The Warren Assembly PLANT was still making 4th Gen Rams, 3 months ago

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

Warren Truck Assembly Plant​

21500 Mound Road, Warren, Michigan, United States​

Floor Space: 3.31 million square feet

Acreage: 86.8 acres

Products: Ram 1500 Classic (Quad Cab and Crew Cab), Wagoneer, Wagoneer L and Grand Wagoneer

Employment: 4,016 (3,764 hourly; 252 salaried) operating on two shifts

Union Local: UAW Local 889, 140 and 412

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Enjoy the truck. I have a hard trifold Gator cover and it has been good. Kinda wish I would have spent a bit more and gotten the retractable/roll up version. I have Mopar running boards and they have been great. They use the factory mounting areas and are very easy to install yourself.

OP
OP
A

Afesposi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Welcome to the forum.

I have a spray in liner so didn't buy a mat for my Ram but for my last one, an F-150, I got a heavy duty rubber mat at AgriSupply in Garner, NC for around $99.

You may want to check them out. I used to live in Pittsboro, so have an idea about where you're located and it's a pretty straight shot to get there from your area, plus it's an excuse to drive your new truck. You can what they have in stock by checking them out online first.

Enjoy!
Thanks so much man! If we ever have any Ram meets let me know!!

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I love the AMP electric steps on my 2015 2500. I also had Line X sprayed in the bed, Still looks good.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all!

1- I want to add running boards/step rails for the sides to get in - any suggested brands you all like? (UPDATE bought some from Real Truck)
2- I would also like to get a good bed cover ( I was thinking Gator but open to suggestions) UPDATE Got a Gator cover!
3- I would love to get a good bed mat/tailgate mat and was thinking Mopar, but they're about 220 with shipping - ouch! Update - Got a bed mat!

Thank you all so much for the welcomes and advice!!
I like the factory Mopar boards

Left-lane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What do you plan to do about the lack of inner fender liners? I just bought a 2023 leftover and was shocked to see RAM went cheap and the inner fenders are "an option".

The only mod I've made this far are AMP power steps... really work great and don't spoil the look of the truck.

Good luck with your 2024!!

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I like the factory Ram running boards, strong and just the right height.
For a cover, get an Access cover, this is a folding tarp style, well made
and the price is right. The Access is the original pickup bed tarp.
I've had more than several over the years on probably 10 pickups.

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
IMHO you can't beat the Bakflip F1 for a cover. Had one ten years on my 2014 and still looked good. You have to open the tailgate to flip it open (6'4" bed has 4 foldable sections). Will fold up and latch or all the way up against the glass. Want it off? Two hand turn "nuts" underneath and just pick it up. One person can do it.
I ordered the Ram running boards
Line X sprayed in bed (boneheads got overspray on cab and bedsides)
Goes to local detailer to get the overspray removed and ceramic coat in two weeks.