New to the ram 1500 5.9L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swerve90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I am a new owner of the 2002 5.9L dodge ram 1500 and I'm pretty excited to get to know my new vehicle. Can anyone refer me to an engine schematic/ PDF that would contain some basics about what is what in the engine? I have traded over from the Germany car lifestyle so trucks is a whole new ball game for me. Just looking for some information on the basics about stuff I need to know. Also looking for advice for MPG improvements, engine maintence and longevity mods to have better care for my truck. I know my way around vehicles pretty well but I'm always looking for learn more. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
You'd be better of posting in the 2nd Gen section, 5.9s only ran for one year in the 3rd gens. We're mostly HEMI and 4.7 talk over here.

That said, I used to own one so:

- You'll never get MPG improvements on a 5.9 lol. The magnums were horrible on fuel. Keep a light foot, bout it.

- Longevity, those engines are bullet proof. Change the oil, and do routine maintenance, and it'll last a long time.

- One thing to watch, the plenum gasket, at least on earlier years of that engine, the tended to leak, which would cause oil pooling inside the intake manifold. Tell tale signs are smoke from the exhaust and pinging under light throttle.

Good luck with the truck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
professionalish