New to the Ram-ily- I need help (6.4 Hemi - 2022 Power Wagon)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamConvert0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hello Ram-ily,

I am new. I am a long time Toyota Enjoyer (and a big Believer) but I was recently swayed.

While I appreciate the stout, rugged, reliability of a Tundra like my wife's cooking and incredible housework, I found myself wanting more. The Power Wagon was staring at me - dropping a pencil in the hallway, lustfully staring at me. Like any good man, I quickly raced home and went to the internet. Immediately. I would never buy a RAM Truck. Ever. The decals, the badging, the RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM EVERYWHERE :)

But like most bad girls with a hot top and ***** stamp... I found out that as soon as I was inside her... I could not stop... and so...

I bought a 2022 Power Wagon today with 20k miles on it and I was scared that it was ticking :(

So I want to know if I hear "ticking" outside the cabin - but NOT inside the cabin. Is this nothing to worry about?

OP
OP
R

RamConvert0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It also drives great!!

Oil looked clean AF - previous owner got 5 oil changes in 20k miles?

:)Capture.JPG

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Having never had the dreaded 'lifter tick' in my old '17, if you're only hearing it outside then that is likely the normal 'Hemi tick'. I believe it is something to do with the exhaust manifolds or the exhaust itself - I don't recall which. If that's what it is then you are likely fine.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I've never heard it in my PW, or my 1500 5.7L either, though I did hear it in my 5.7 hemi Charger.
Usually went away a minute or two after start up.
Never seemed to effect anything in the 11 years I owned it...

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
First, congrats. You’ll love it! Second, the tick is during warm up and goes away. Not everyone has it, that alone is weird, but still, it’s not the engine, and it’s coming from somewhere behind the manifold through the exhaust system. First week of ownership I went back to the dealer with the tick and they fired up two more 6.4s and they had the same tick. The mechanic explained it to me, kind of, and so I just accepted it and left and not looked back since.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Not to push a narrative, everyone has a different experience, but I had a knock on startup for about 2-3 minutes, way more prominent outside the truck, long story short I’m in the process of getting a new motor. I probably got a one in a million. I dunno, but if it concerns you take it back to the dealer. I would say go with your instincts. It may or may not be anything, in my case it was.

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A faint ticking could be the injectors and nothing to worry about. Does it do it only at start up? As mentioned, take it to the dealer if its concerning you.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm. Do you think I should change the oil?

many of the members are so paranoid its a miracle they make it from day to day and that paranoia can wear off on you so be careful.
lifters are a loud tapping you cant miss it. manifold leak makes a loud sound as well. people often mistake it for lifters.
most likely what your hearing is injectors clicking. perhaps even some exhaust note through the manifolds and piping.

OP
OP
R

RamConvert0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
But it looks fresh and I just got it yesterday from the dealer. I'll chrck it again

OP
OP
R

RamConvert0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thank you Ram family - I do think people are paranoid.. If I can't hear it in the cabin I think it's g2g at this point.

However, I may consider the redline oil. How do you guys keep your carfax and vehicle history looking good with redline lower WT oils? I assume you have to change your own oil (but if you arent a mechanic does that void your ****?).

So how does one squirt that sweet sweet redline petroleum inside of her Hemi crevices while maintaining innocence when the dealer has to repair your truck?

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Thank you Ram family - I do think people are paranoid.. If I can't hear it in the cabin I think it's g2g at this point.

However, I may consider the redline oil. How do you guys keep your carfax and vehicle history looking good with redline lower WT oils? I assume you have to change your own oil (but if you arent a mechanic does that void your ****?).

So how does one squirt that sweet sweet redline petroleum inside of her Hemi crevices while maintaining innocence when the dealer has to repair your truck
If you change your own oil, you can manually update your carfax - that's what I do. You just add a service record, and there is a box you check to say it was a DIY service. No, changing your own oil DOES NOT void your manufacturer's warranty. Keep receipts of your oil and filters and any other parts/consumables you need to perform the scheduled services.

Also, to CYA, be sure whatever oil you use meets/exceeds the mfr's specified oil requirements.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you change your own oil, you can manually update your carfax - that's what I do. You just add a service record, and there is a box you check to say it was a DIY service. No, changing your own oil DOES NOT void your manufacturer's warranty. Keep receipts of your oil and filters and any other parts/consumables you need to perform the scheduled services.

Also, to CYA, be sure whatever oil you use meets/exceeds the mfr's specified oil requirements.
This is the big part right here - save reciepts if you change your own oil or do ANY maintenance yourself. If everything is up to ***** and something fails, if you can prove you were religious about keeping things in good shape, they can't really deny your warranty.

vqrory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 5.7 1500. Had ticking on startup. Sounded like the ticking you get from a lifter. Took it to local dealer. Turns out it was the manifold bolts. This is a known problem with Rams. Might be worth a visit to your dealer. Should still be under warranty.

Hunter Rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I’m having the same hemi tick since my first oil change on my new P.W. At 20000 km the dealership changed all lifters and rods, within 2 days of driving the tick was back and getting worse. So it’s going back next week, because it’s way to loud and kind of embarrassing when I get that look in parking lots. Sitting for 10mins and it ticks for a couple min.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 5.7 1500. Had ticking on startup. Sounded like the ticking you get from a lifter. Took it to local dealer. Turns out it was the manifold bolts. This is a known problem with Rams. Might be worth a visit to your dealer. Should still be under warranty.
I don't have the ticking problem but last month I mentioned to a mechanic friend that some people on here have that issue and he said it is commonly the manifold bolts. And he's not even a RAM owner, he's just a mechanic that's seen the problem before.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
Hello Ram-ily,

I am new. I am a long time Toyota Enjoyer (and a big Believer) but I was recently swayed.

While I appreciate the stout, rugged, reliability of a Tundra like my wife's cooking and incredible housework, I found myself wanting more. The Power Wagon was staring at me - dropping a pencil in the hallway, lustfully staring at me. Like any good man, I quickly raced home and went to the internet. Immediately. I would never buy a RAM Truck. Ever. The decals, the badging, the RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM EVERYWHERE :)

But like most bad girls with a hot top and ***** stamp... I found out that as soon as I was inside her... I could not stop... and so...

I bought a 2022 Power Wagon today with 20k miles on it and I was scared that it was ticking :(

So I want to know if I hear "ticking" outside the cabin - but NOT inside the cabin. Is this nothing to worry about?
perfectly normal. I have a 2016 scat pack. Does the same thing. Some of it you can quiet down by changing the oil. Dodge likes Mobile 1, which is 0w30w or 0w20w. i started putting 5w30w in mine and it quieted down some on start up. They tell you it is injector noise, and that is partly true. But some of it is because the engine is running the equivelent of caster oil inside until it gets fully pumped up so the lifters are making a little noise. Same thing on my Viper too......................That is not your biggest issue though. The 6.4 in a 6000 lb truck is. Sure, it is a fast truck...for a truck. It is like having the worst of two worlds. Power in something so heavy you will barely see it on top of horrible gas millage. There was a time when Dodge made a truck with a Viper engine. Did not sell well for the same reasons. Ford made a v10 triton too, and it fell flat on its face. On the plus side, it may be a collectable at some point if you hang onto it long enough. Just keep it 100 percent origonal.