New to the world of Pickup Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hydroram5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
tempImageoxQ6g3.jpgHello Everyone,

I just picked up a 2021 1500 classic (attached build sheet).

Ive never had anything remotely close to a pickup truck, got it for hauling atvs, and doing work without getting other vehicles dirty. But I have no idea what to expect.

I Would like to ask anyone what are some general intro steps for this 1500, any known issues for this particular model or engine etc, did I pick a good spec etc.

Some basic stuff so far is im at 700 km so far, when starting off from a stop, I can feel maybe a click or two in the gas pedal. Ive already hauled a dual axle trailer (2750 lbs with 1500 lbs of atvs) for a 100 km + trip did I do any damage?. I dont know what the jerking motion some people mention is and im not sure if mine has it? For towing, do I use tow/haul and do I need to get a Trailer sway control or brake control or anything or is everything fine the way it is?tempImageyt7L47.jpg

OP
OP
H

hydroram5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Also! Some stickers and what not are hanging from the truck below, also now noticing some weird paint discrepancies.. is this normal? Just remove stickers and its all good?
tempImageJV3nvr.jpg

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For towing, do I use tow/haul
Yep. It changes the shift map a little, changes how downshift works and increases line pressure. You're not going to kill anything if you don't do it but you'll get better performance, safety and mileage if you do click it. It's there for a reason.

Sway control is a component of stability control, it's automatically "always on" .

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like a nice truck. Pretty standard pkg, which has been tried and tested a million times (or there abouts). You should have a reliable rig. Depending on the other vehicles you've owned in the past, it's going to take a little more consideration during some parking conditions, greater fuel use. Insurance is a lot more on these trucks than I thought they would be. I've grown to NOT like the spray-on bedliner. Crap slides all over back there compared to a rubber mat. But that's personal preference. A roll up bed cover is nice to have IMO.

You might consider an extended warranty if you plan to be a long-term owner. I see your post says you're in Toronto. These trucks DO rust up. I've seen a few spectacularly rusted (I'm in the rust-belt too). I would definitely take it to a pro body undercoating company, and also spray around that RAM emblem (inside the front fender). For whatever reason, they can rust around that emblem from the backside (do a google search). And a bed cover will keep salt spray out of the bed too. Does yours have plastic inner (rear) fender liners? If not, get some. Yeah, get some rust protection bc that can be a problem on these trucks.

Last edited:

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Welcome!
Same truck as mine except I have the RED and the tow package 3.92 rear end.

I see some old RAMs out there all the time and so many Classics it's ridiculous! I'm crossing my fingers but I think we should be in good shape!

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
1st...Nice ride. 2nd, stop reading about the issues that you'll probably never have on the internet. If you want, go read about health issues so everyone can tell you you're gonna die in 6 months from having more than one beer at dinner. 3rd, pull the stickers off if they bother you...Eventually they fall off anyway. 4th, if you want perfect paint, buy a Porche. 5th....Just enjoy it. Best vehicle you'll ever own. Cars suck.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey...welcome to the forum!

I don't have much bad input
But like said above....tags can be pulled off....and yes on the tow/haul.....I run it all the time
Just because I like the firm shifts
But.....very nice looking truck!!!

Just enjoy!!!!

OP
OP
H

hydroram5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Yep. It changes the shift map a little, changes how downshift works and increases line pressure. You're not going to kill anything if you don't do it but you'll get better performance, safety and mileage if you do click it. It's there for a reason.

Sway control is a component of stability control, it's automatically "always on" .
When I did use the tow/haul button my rpms were relatively way higher during cruising on the hwy and just general stop and go. My transmission temp would read 90 C with tow/haul on and 88 ish with it off.

OP
OP
H

hydroram5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Also another dumb question, when you guys use your bed for storing stuff you guys just put groceries etc in the back and expect them to slide right, or do you guys like bungee or strap even the little things? And if I am pulling a trailer & have an atv in the back with the tailgate down, is that fine to drive? Do I need to do anything to the tailgate to ensure its locked?

gambeno82

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
View attachment 466644Hello Everyone,

I just picked up a 2021 1500 classic (attached build sheet).

Ive never had anything remotely close to a pickup truck, got it for hauling atvs, and doing work without getting other vehicles dirty. But I have no idea what to expect.

I Would like to ask anyone what are some general intro steps for this 1500, any known issues for this particular model or engine etc, did I pick a good spec etc.

Some basic stuff so far is im at 700 km so far, when starting off from a stop, I can feel maybe a click or two in the gas pedal. Ive already hauled a dual axle trailer (2750 lbs with 1500 lbs of atvs) for a 100 km + trip did I do any damage?. I dont know what the jerking motion some people mention is and im not sure if mine has it? For towing, do I use tow/haul and do I need to get a Trailer sway control or brake control or anything or is everything fine the way it is?View attachment 466643
Nice truck!!!

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Also another dumb question, when you guys use your bed for storing stuff you guys just put groceries etc in the back and expect them to slide right, or do you guys like bungee or strap even the little things? And if I am pulling a trailer & have an atv in the back with the tailgate down, is that fine to drive? Do I need to do anything to the tailgate to ensure its locked?
NEVER put groceries in the back, unless you want CheeseCake ala Ram. **** just flies all over. Lift the rear seat and use the under seat storage as a wedge to hold stuff still. And, look at the inside of the bed along the bed walls. You'll see some interesting shapes there...Toward the back, about 12" forward from the back edge, you'll see what looks like a notch that runs vertical and is 2" wide. That nicely holds a 2x8 that if cut to the correct length, slides down in and wedges itself nicely. You can then stack small packages at the rear of the bed without it sliding forward if you need to..So, your 2L soda bottles and potato chips will stay where you put them back there. :)

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I did use the tow/haul button my rpms were relatively way higher during cruising on the hwy and just general stop and go. My transmission temp would read 90 C with tow/haul on and 88 ish with it off.

On the 8 speed I believe tow/haul locks out the highest overdrive gear, that's normal too. These engines have variable intake geometry and variable cam timing so their efficiency BSFC "island" is huge. Unless you're talking about some super high RPM at cruise like over 3000rpm there's really nothing to worry about. For reference most 4 cylinder and many 6 cylinder trucks/CUV's run at 2500-3000 rpm continuously on the highway and inline 4cyl engines are inherently imbalanced compared to a V8 (so a V8 truly has an easier time with high RPM) . It sounds to me like yours is probably working as intended unless you're seeing truly high RPM under cruise.

I mostly haul small articles inside the cab. My truck is a RCSB (what used to be called a "Regular Cab" with 2 doors and no back seat... not so regular anymore) so I don't have a back seat but there's a little shelf behind the bench seat and a couple grocery bag hooks above it.

It seems a lot of people get bed extenders, especially since most trucks sold these days are 4 door cabs with little 5' beds, and then when you flip the bed extender into the bed it makes a divider that can keep your small articles contained near the back, by the tailgate where they're accessible and limits how far they slide around. And you can bungee stuff to the tubing that the bed extender is made from.

If you're pulling a trailer with the tailgate down be aware that your rear camera (if equipped) won't be usable and also be very aware of how close the tailgate comes to the trailer when you're turning and backing. Would be a shame to smash it into the trailer while you're backing up. Also be cautious that any tongue jack or other fixtures on the trailer don't intersect with the tailgate, including while cresting over high spots on the road or dipping into low spots, remember that the truck body and the trailer will pivot around the tow ball and whatever distance you have on flat ground is going to change a lot as you drive across uneven surfaces, into parking lots, etc.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Welcome to RamForum (and to trucks too). If you're hauling anything in the bed, you should consider a good set of tie-downs. As others have said, a bed extender will be useful for larger (longer) items.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
welcome, great looking truck. You will love it.

Check out the Bed Extender, it folds out, for longer loads, or with tailgate closed, folds in, to help with those groceries or other items.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes absolutely have bungees and straps available at all times under the rear seats! no truck is complete with out a set of ratcheting cargo straps! I work in the transport business and I have a grocery bag full of different size straps in my truck and I cant count how many times thats been super useful. you never know when you will have to pick something up. or out in the woods and your gas tank straps decide to fail (extreme example i know but this happened on my 06 and i was able to carry on and go out for supper and beers after that lol)

welcome and enjoy your ram!
:favorites13:

also the tail gate locks itself when you lock the doors

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
oh and welcome to the hyrdo blue truck club haha
this is mine 20210724_135739.jpg

not my Corvette though he parked next to me must have liked the color haha!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When my truck was brand new, I slithered under it with a couple of cans of Rustolium and painted everything that was bare metal. It might surprise you how much bare metal there is.

I'm a big Pentastar fan.

Man, that's a good looking truck!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi From Sask. You can run with the end gate down, if the jack clears, on the trailer, some tailgates will hit the jack, just make sure to slam the tail gate closed, one or 2 times ,I have had mine drop, but that was from not making sure it was latched. I have a seal kit on my end gate, to keep water out, so it takes more force to latch it.
The parts tags are not anything to worry about, paint on the running gear is hit and miss, as it is new, you could slide under it and touch up chips with paint or under coat. I am too old to bother any more. Brake controllers, load level hitches , that will depend on weight. I have a after market brake controller, I installed when I was moving and hauling a heavy cargo trailer, worked fine, but I would hit my knee on the damn thing so just take it out . I have 8sp with 3.9 gears, V8 , 2014 sport, so you set up is a bit different. Just drive it like a car, unless loaded. Wife has a honda CRV, I find the truck easier to park and get in and out of.

Last edited: