New Truck Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zmartin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
so there's an opportunity for me to get a 2000 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins. the truck has 345000 miles on it and the owner says it runs good.. it's got 33s on it currently with no other mods to it involving the drive train. is there anything I should be worried abut for a truck that had over 300000 miles on it? I appreciate the help

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Long as compression is good, plenum is fixed, and tranny isn't bad it could very well make it to 500k lol

OP
OP
Z

zmartin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Long as compression is good, plenum is fixed, and tranny isn't bad it could very well make it to 500k lol

how doI tell if the trannys good? I'm gonna try to take it to a mechanic to double check all the important stuff.. I don't mean to sound stupid but what it a plenum?

thanks again

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You gave a 5.9 dsl no plenum on that motor so don't worry about it. 47re is a better tranny than the 46re us gasses have.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Plenum is a plate on the bottom of the intake manifold that has a gasket that blows out. Some blame the fact that it's a steel plate bolted to an aluminum manifold, some day just ****** gasket material. Whatever the case (idc about the cause, just the fix) or needs a new gasket and going with an aluminum plate is added security.

Can check tranny the good old fashioned way. Drive it, look for hesitation slippage grinding etc. Taking it to a mechanic is a good idea. If you can, have him do a compression check and write down the results for you.

Just have to be aware that with 345k stuff you wouldn't expect might start failing. That's just what happens on old high mileage vehicles. If you do get it, change ALL the fluids.

OP
OP
Z

zmartin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
so these diesels are pretty much bullet proof huh?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
53 block is thinner walled weaker blocks made in Brazil. Have the number 53 stamped on the passenger side near injection pump.

That and check for blow by are the 2 major things on a diesel

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
47RE ain't that much better, I know of a gal whos truck has been through 3 trannies, one of which with her. lol

Many of the blocks are 53 blocks from what I've heard.

OP
OP
Z

zmartin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Plenum is a plate on the bottom of the intake manifold that has a gasket that blows out. Some blame the fact that it's a steel plate bolted to an aluminum manifold, some day just ****** gasket material. Whatever the case (idc about the cause, just the fix) or needs a new gasket and going with an aluminum plate is added security.

Can check tranny the good old fashioned way. Drive it, look for hesitation slippage grinding etc. Taking it to a mechanic is a good idea. If you can, have him do a compression check and write down the results for you.

Just have to be aware that with 345k stuff you wouldn't expect might start failing. That's just what happens on old high mileage vehicles. If you do get it, change ALL the fluids.
I have a jeep right now at almost 200000 miles.. what stuff do you think might start failing on the truck with the millage?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Get your **** together eh, read the dam posts *****.

Uh oh pissed off papa mark! :roflsquared:

53 block is common. There's documented cases of the 53 blocks hitting 500k but more cases of them not lasting past 150k. Do you live in the north or south? Are you wanting to add power to it?

OP
OP
Z

zmartin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Uh oh pissed off papa mark! :roflsquared:

53 block is common. There's documented cases of the 53 blocks hitting 500k but more cases of them not lasting past 150k. Do you live in the north or south? Are you wanting to add power to it?

I live in the north. the truck is originally from the south.. I'm not looking to add too much power if any.. I'm just looking for a daily driver that turns heads going down the street.. thanks all for the help