New Truck Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think anyone is suggesting that under certain traction circumstances there is no benefit of four wheel drive in a pick up truck. Not speaking for anyone else, I've not found the necessity for 4x4 in all the years of normal, all around year driving, even for the northeast weather conditions which can in some years be severe. Knowing I have one less driving axle also instills good judgement which prevents me from cavalierly accepting that all driving conditions will always be conducive to my two-wheel drive vehicle.

Conversely, based on my experience I've found that on some occasions some folks with 4x4 pick ups have been unexpectedly bound to the terafirma because of their over confidence in 4x4.

Knowing the limits of one's equipment usually prevents difficult situations.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92599 miles.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
When UConnect fails, and it will!!! you'll want the 8.4 so you can easily upgrade to a nice aftermarket double din and call it a day.

Also, 4x4 is the way to go. Better value, and heck....it's a 4x4 ;)

Either way, good luck with your choice and enjoy your new Ram ownership experience.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When UConnect fails, and it will!!! you'll want the 8.4 so you can easily upgrade to a nice aftermarket double din and call it a day.

Also, 4x4 is the way to go. Better value, and heck....it's a 4x4 ;)

Either way, good luck with your choice and enjoy your new Ram ownership experience.
^^^ DITTO ^^^ I would not have a truck w/o 4 X 4. As far as weather, OP should be OK around Austin except for the occasional freeze, and driving on IH 35, or toll road, 4 X 4 not normally needed. BUT me, I have a need to pull a trailer, and be out in fields and such, and 4 X 4 in my instance even being in Central TX is a 100% necessity. (Ditto on the 8.4 screens also. I have plain Jane radio, not even NAV, works fine, run Apple Car Play for Apps.)