Newbie - 2021 Eco-Diesel on a Roadie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLK1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Howdy all! New to me 2021 Ram limited eco diesel 18,000 miles. Getting ready to do a roadie from Portland Or. to Dallas then Houston. Any advice for a long roadie?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That is a 2,300 mile trip
Oregon, Dallas, Houston

When was your last ..

Oil, Filters Oil & Fuel change
Tire Rotation, check spare tire pressure
( many dealerships have long appointment times, even for regular maintenance )

You will be driving into 90 - 110°F Temps
Carry water or other liquids, iced or ....

Does your auto insurance cover Road Service
I carry AAA

Personally, i carry a laptop with me
I check my next days routing, your Ram i believe has Tom Tom maps
I check Garmin Maps, to look for a better route

If you are towing, others will chime in ................

OP
OP
T

TLK1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
Yep, all fluids are good, tank is full, DEF is full. We have AAA. We stopped for the evening in Boise, ID. Headed to RockSprings Wy. in the morning. So far the drive of 330+ mile trip today has been so freakin comfortable in this truck! Plus the mileage has averaged 29.4 mpg at this point driving about 70 mph. So far so good!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Plus the mileage has averaged 29.4 mpg at this point driving about 70 mph.
Be sure to honk and wave at the Hemi trucks filling up at the gas stations as you pass by... LOL

Yes the semi truck diesel pumps will fit in your fuel filler port but if you do have to use one pump the fuel as slow as possible. It can fill your tank and give you a shower in the blink of an eye. The pumps for semi trucks are three times faster than a regular retail diesel pump.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Yep, all fluids are good, tank is full, DEF is full. We have AAA. We stopped for the evening in Boise, ID. Headed to RockSprings Wy. in the morning. So far the drive of 330+ mile trip today has been so freakin comfortable in this truck! Plus the mileage has averaged 29.4 mpg at this point driving about 70 mph. So far so good!
@GTyankee has already covered the important items, and it sounds like you've done your homework.

You're traveling through some beautiful country - Enjoy it.

One word of caution on Houston - they got hammered by storms last Friday and are digging out. Keep your eyes and ears open for warnings and closures. Don't become part of the problem.

Although it's not applicable now, I always keep (and use) anti-gel in the truck. I found out the hard way that not all states switch over to winter diesel. I got caught in Midland TX in Feb 2021 when the temps got down to 5F. I filled at a Sunnoco the night previous and they were still pumping summer blend. I ASSumed and it bit me.