Newbie 2500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Tough call. That dark gray one with the Sport appearance package is a sharp looking truck for sure. Are they equipped the same otherwise? All have the 8.4 uconnect radio etc. Looks like that used dark gray one has the park sense in the bumpers that the new one doesn't?

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The used one looks nice. But I sure do like new lol. How’s the new optioned?

Has everything the used one has minus the 8.4 U Connect Sytem and front parking system. The new 17 has just the regular u connect 3.0 but it has the Alipne upgrade which is weird. Also the used one has a Tonneau Cover and nicer Continental All Terrain tires. Right now the used one is abouy 3k cheaper with out negotiating. They are acting like $50k for the new 17 which I think is still high considering it’s been on the lot for 2 years.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Price of used vs price of new? Cash or finance? Interest rate on the new vs used? Lol sooo many questions. I love used except when it comes to the diesels. But 19k ain’t hat bad. But then again the 17 has full warranty. Good luck cause even my heads spinning:Big Laugh:

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tough call. That dark gray one with the Sport appearance package is a sharp looking truck for sure. Are they equipped the same otherwise? All have the 8.4 uconnect radio etc. Looks like that used dark gray one has the park sense in the bumpers that the new one doesn't?

The used one does have the 8.4 so does the 16 that looks like yours. The new one does not but it has the luxury package. Unfortunately all have the baby mirrors minus the 16 Mega Cab.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Price of used vs price of new? Cash or finance? Interest rate on the new vs used? Lol sooo many questions. I love used except when it comes to the diesels. But 19k ain’t hat bad. But then again the 17 has full warranty. Good luck cause even my heads spinning:Big Laugh:

They both have full warranties because the 17 is certified. It’s 7 years 100k vs 5 years 100k. Will be financing interest rates will be low on both for sure.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For what its worth, I tow a 38'10K camper with zero issue with the baby mirrors. Had them on my 16 2500 6.4 and my 18 3500 CTD..I actually kinda like them! Easy enough to change though if you dont like them, wouldn't let them be a deal breaker by any means if they don't throw them in on the deal.

For comparison, My 18 3500 I got OTD for 42K with 7 years of maintenance thrown in, but I dont have the fancy radio and interior. I do have the chrome package, the snow chief package, back up cam etc, I'll just use it to tow with mostly.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what its worth, I tow a 38'10K camper with zero issue with the baby mirrors. Had them on my 16 2500 6.4 and my 18 3500 CTD..I actually kinda like them!

That good to know. Maybe just leave them then they are out of the way for sure.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
They both have full warranties because the 17 is certified. It’s 7 years 100k vs 5 years 100k. Will be financing interest rates will be low on both for sure.
Well if that’s the case and they’re not budging on price on the new”for god knows why” then the used would be a good deal. So weird they won’t deal on a new 17 sitting on the lot. Here in Texas that thing would be cheap and out the door

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I never flip my mirrors up. Granted I’m always towing cattle and flatbed trailers. So no real need. Maybe if I pulled a long solid box style trailer or huge 5th wheel.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I never flip my mirrors up. Granted I’m always towing cattle and flatbed trailers. So no real need. Maybe if I pulled a long solid box style trailer or huge 5th wheel.

Pretty much same for me. When I'm towing my flatbed with my tractor or something on it I leave the mirrors alone, I can see well enough. I have a 20ft enclosed as well so it does help to flip them up for that.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the Crystal Metallic with the sport package is gone. Couldn’t get by there today. Going in the morning to look at the 17 CC.

ESToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to bring back a week old thread but I actually joined this forum today to try and figure out this very decision! I am looking at a new rig. I need some offroad capability because I like to go out west mountain biking. Some of those trailheads are reached off highway. It would primarily be a daily driver for me and then do our vacations as well. I do about 30,000 per year combined. I had it narrowed to the 2500(6.4 or CTD) or the ram rebel. I may do a bit of towing if we decide to RV our vacations instead of doing hotels. That has me looking more towards 2500 series. Diesel kind of scares me because of people talking about water and additives etc. The regen scares me as well, because while I do sit in traffic for 10-15 minutes each way, I spend another 30+ at 70MPH. I'm not sure how that would play out with regen. At the same time everyone says that for driving my kind a of miles per year, CTD is the way to go. It may just come down to a flip of the coin.:(

Thanks for listening to my rant...

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sorry to bring back a week old thread but I actually joined this forum today to try and figure out this very decision! I am looking at a new rig. I need some offroad capability because I like to go out west mountain biking. Some of those trailheads are reached off highway. It would primarily be a daily driver for me and then do our vacations as well. I do about 30,000 per year combined. I had it narrowed to the 2500(6.4 or CTD) or the ram rebel. I may do a bit of towing if we decide to RV our vacations instead of doing hotels. That has me looking more towards 2500 series. Diesel kind of scares me because of people talking about water and additives etc. The regen scares me as well, because while I do sit in traffic for 10-15 minutes each way, I spend another 30+ at 70MPH. I'm not sure how that would play out with regen. At the same time everyone says that for driving my kind a of miles per year, CTD is the way to go. It may just come down to a flip of the coin.:(

Water and additives are a non issue so don't let the paranoid people tell you otherwise. And as far as regens, that's what the truck does to keep itself running normally it's nothing to worry about. Mine regened today as a matter of fact.

My only concern for a diesel if I was in your shoes might be the offroading part. If you are doing some serious trails and mud etc. I have found in some types of terrain the heavy diesel tends to get stuck a little easier then a lighter gas truck. But there are variables to all that of course.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Offroading- the 6.4 may be a bit better due to the lighter weight and more instant throttle. The CTD will be better overall fuel economy and towing. Tough call.

I love my 6.4, but have been looking hard at a cummins switch soon due to the miles I put on. Health issues though make me approach every big purchase lately like it is the last one I'll buy though so it's agonizing trying to make a decision lol!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I let the 17 go. Decided I am going to wait for a while and find exactly what I want with all the options. Save a little more money and keep and I out for the right one. Will keep you guys up to date.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Mine are down unless I am towing the goose neck cattle trailer or 5th

I take mine off the beaten path on a regular basis at the farm or at the deer lease. Our camp house is 8 miles from the highway and many times the trail getting there is washed out by the rain. The 6.4L is lighter and that helps in off roading especially if is a Power Wagon. However, it mainly depends on what type off roading you do or how far you are willing to take a $40k+ truck.

The 2013 and up trucks have two fuel filters that also have a inner fuel water separator filter. There is even a sensor that alerts you that there is water in the fuel. The chance of water getting past these two filters is pretty slim unless you go well past the 15k interval or ignore any of the warnings.

Regens happen every 50-100 miles(sometimes longer) depending on how you use your truck. With your type of mostly highway driving, I would not be worried about it. In fact, mostly highway driving is perfect for today's emissions equipped diesels. You hardly hear any horror stories from those that do a lot of highway driving because the DPF and EGR cooler stay clean with this type of driving. Most of the horror stories come from other diesels, and if they are on a Cummins then nine times out of ten it is a 2007.5-2012, the truck had very high idle time, and/or a lot of short trip city driving without hardly any highway miles in between.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Good luck man. You have to do what's best for you. It's a huge decision so I wish you the best

ESToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the replies. This is some really useful info. The off road I do is out in Colorado and Utah, so it is mainly rocks and dry trails so weight doesn't matter so much. If we get an RV it will be in the 5000-6000 lb range so both engines could do it (though diesel would be happier doing it) I think it is going to come down to me doing 30k on average a year and what the economics of gas versus diesel is for that.