Newly leveled truck, new shocks, & ran into problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoparSickness77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So yesterday I installed the rancho quiklifts, they are a complete coil over. The truck was making a popping like sound and it was from the worn front shocks.

The driver side went pretty easy, just removed the upper and lower ball joint studs from the knuckle, tie rod end, sway bar link, and then the knuckle itself. That made removing the strut easy.

When I went to the passenger side I ran into the common problem of the stuck lower shock bolt. It was stuck good and I was about to cut it until I came up with a way that worked. Now the truck sits level (just need rear shocks now) and the ride is much better. Here are some pictures from my phone, I'll probably post some more later.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344612718.885985.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344612735.659503.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344612752.713708.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MoparSickness77

MoparSickness77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wanted to give it a try since I needed new shocks and wanted a level and to replace my coil springs. So far so good and the shocks are also adjustable for different ride qualities.

Birdman-68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Congrats. Want to share how you got the stuck bolt off? Others might like to use the same method.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The truck looks great. I have heard great things about these, so I added them to the site last week. Its good to get some real world feedback on these. Are you planning to run the Rancho 9000's out back to match the fronts now?

OP
OP
MoparSickness77

MoparSickness77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck looks great. I have heard great things about these, so I added them to the site last week. Its good to get some real world feedback on these. Are you planning to run the Rancho 9000's out back to match the fronts now?

Thanks I like them and can't wait to see how they handle on some real bumpy roads. I think I will look into the 9000s for the rear. Well see

OP
OP
MoparSickness77

MoparSickness77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats. Want to share how you got the stuck bolt off? Others might like to use the same method.

My impact only did so much so I just used my 1/2 ratchet and a 4lb hammer to get it out, and 1 1/2 cans of PB blaster. I soaked the bolt ends that were sticking out and worked it back into the sleeve then twisted it around and let the blaster work inside. I did that for awhile and hitting the bolt with the hammer while I was twisting it. After awhile it came out and cleaned the sleeve out with my 12ga. Shot gun brush and used my wire wheel on the bolt.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet. I've heard of those but didn't know much about them. Interested in how they do, I may eventually have to do something like that and get rid of my leveling kit.

(popped this over to lifted sec)

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Sold a set of these to a member a few months back ... he PM'd me today he is having issues with the driver side sounding funny ?
Most likely they were not installed correctly I dunno . Waiting on his response .

Coasty993

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Good morning Senomar...is that how you got the lower strut bolt out? I have tried everything and it would not budge. I even put the impact on it like you did with no luck. Did you turn it with the wrench while hitting with the hammer? I am trying to install a Trailmaster Coil Spring Spacer style lift. I have it all apart but cannot get that lower bolt out.

MeMyselfAndMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sold a set of these to a member a few months back ... he PM'd me today he is having issues with the driver side sounding funny ?
Most likely they were not installed correctly I dunno . Waiting on his response .

Yea that was me. Still haven't had time to bring her in for a look over. Been crazy busy with archery opener around the corner. Im curious what it is, il be sure to let you know.

I have them set at there softest setting now and its nice for everyday stuff. Had a little fun tonight on the way home from work and they felt great!

Coasty- Trying to get those bolts out myself cost me a lot of money:Grenade: Mine where locked solid and I ended up destroying the bushing. Had to tuck my tail between my legs and have somebody else finish.(2 new lowers) Be slow and hit them with as much penetrating oil as you can. PB Blaster is a great one.

OP
OP
MoparSickness77

MoparSickness77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning Senomar...is that how you got the lower strut bolt out? I have tried everything and it would not budge. I even put the impact on it like you did with no luck. Did you turn it with the wrench while hitting with the hammer? I am trying to install a Trailmaster Coil Spring Spacer style lift. I have it all apart but cannot get that lower bolt out.

I just kept using my 1/2 ratchet and twisting it around and soaking it with PB and the exposed parts that tapped it back in with the hammer and turned the bolt around to let the PB work inside the sleeve and bushing. It took time and then I just cleaned the bolts up good with my bench grinders wire wheel.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca