Next Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I've done most of the planned modifications I wanted to do. There are a couple I'm still considering (viking shocks, front swaybar). What I'm wondering is at this point if it would be worth it to go ahead and get the larger throttle body and ATI dampener? I'd like to stay NA, (thinking of doing the ported heads, but I need to do more research) so I think I may be running out of items (could it actually be finished!?).

Suggestions from the other NA folks are appreciated. My upgrades are in my signature.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I've done most of the planned modifications I wanted to do. There are a couple I'm still considering (viking shocks, front swaybar). What I'm wondering is at this point if it would be worth it to go ahead and get the larger throttle body and ATI dampener? I'd like to stay NA, (thinking of doing the ported heads, but I need to do more research) so I think I may be running out of items (could it actually be finished!?).

Suggestions from the other NA folks are appreciated. My upgrades are in my signature.
Save you're money on the throttle body,the ATI dampener is okay though. The trucks use the identical 251 throttle body as the 485 horse Scatpack 6.4's use,and you have a long ways to go to be above that number with a basically stock 5.7,even with ported heads.

OP
OP
Noob2Trucks

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I heard about the issues installing it. I'm not even going to attempt that one. I'll let the shop do it when I get the pistons and rods done. I'm leaning towards a stroker kit.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I heard about the issues installing it. I'm not even going to attempt that one. I'll let the shop do it when I get the pistons and rods done. I'm leaning towards a stroker kit.
Ever thought of doing a 6.4 swap instead,better heads on the 6.4's,and you can't beat the BGE block for being tough

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the idea of a 6.4 swap. That’s on my list of things I’d like to do as long as it’s still possible when I get around to it. Unless you plan on turning higher rpm’s the ati damper won’t do a lot for you. It’ll allow for a slightly faster rev rate by reducing the rotational mass. I’m turning 6200 rpm on the stock damper. How do you like the tomahawk cam? I was looking at the scud plus cam but may end up saving for a 6.4 build. I have a “ported throttle body”. Essentially it’s just the stock throttle body ported to match the intake manifold and smoothed out a bit. I did not go with a larger bore as I did not see it needed. If I go with a cam in my 5.7 I’ll send the heads out for a good cleaning and mild port job. Should compliment my current setup pretty nice.

OP
OP
Noob2Trucks

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ever thought of doing a 6.4 swap instead,better heads on the 6.4's,and you can't beat the BGE block for being tough
I hadn't. Would I be able to keep most of the parts I've already bought (I know the manifold would fit, LOL), like the cam and the headers? I thought they were all basically the same block dimension wise, but I'm not well versed.

OP
OP
Noob2Trucks

Noob2Trucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I like the idea of a 6.4 swap. That’s on my list of things I’d like to do as long as it’s still possible when I get around to it. Unless you plan on turning higher rpm’s the ati damper won’t do a lot for you. It’ll allow for a slightly faster rev rate by reducing the rotational mass. I’m turning 6200 rpm on the stock damper. How do you like the tomahawk cam? I was looking at the scud plus cam but may end up saving for a 6.4 build. I have a “ported throttle body”. Essentially it’s just the stock throttle body ported to match the intake manifold and smoothed out a bit. I did not go with a larger bore as I did not see it needed. If I go with a cam in my 5.7 I’ll send the heads out for a good cleaning and mild port job. Should compliment my current setup pretty nice.
I like it the cam, It sounds good without being ridiculous, runs solid, and I reached the main goal I wanted. I have some cosmetic stuff to do, but if theres always something on the horizon performance wise.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
R&R'ing it,lol
My friend and I put an ATI damper on my 06' SRT8 300 back in the day (stayed NA, just wanted to open up the 6.1 more), and it was a F' of a job.

Some blood, swearing, beer, and some tools thrown across the shop...lol
We got it done though, and it made an appreciable improvement.

We also did the Paramount NAG1 valve body upgrade, too. But that was another shop day and another story altogether...lol.

Needless to say, I sheared the output shaft clean off like a surgeon, at the track....lol.
And can you believe that I had less then 5,000Km's left on my factory warranty ;)

Fully rebuilt transmission, performance valve body properly cleaned, inspected and reinstalled, and new AMG clutches installed as well.
Oh how I miss that car!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cam will fit into the 6.4 but performance wise you would need to talk to the cam builder to see what they think of running it since the engine will respond differently to the cam. I contemplated doing the ati damper with the underdrive pulley on my truck but being in south Florida my ac already has a lot of work during summer. I may bring that idea back up when I decide to cam or 6.4 swap. I wish they had one that was closer to stock. Maybe 5-6% under drive instead of 15%. Honestly I’m leaning on just keeping the 5.7 until it dies. I’m surprised how well my truck moves being lifted on 35s with just having minor bolt ons. The cam should suffice my hp urges.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I hadn't. Would I be able to keep most of the parts I've already bought (I know the manifold would fit, LOL), like the cam and the headers? I thought they were all basically the same block dimension wise, but I'm not well versed.
Talk to Ryan about your cam,on paper the tomahawk should almost act like a torque cam in a 6.4,which in a truck is a good thing.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My friend and I put an ATI damper on my 06' SRT8 300 back in the day (stayed NA, just wanted to open up the 6.1 more), and it was a F' of a job.

Some blood, swearing, beer, and some tools thrown across the shop...lol
We got it done though, and it made an appreciable improvement.

We also did the Paramount NAG1 valve body upgrade, too. But that was another shop day and another story altogether...lol.

Needless to say, I sheared the output shaft clean off like a surgeon, at the track....lol.
And can you believe that I had less then 5,000Km's left on my factory warranty ;)

Fully rebuilt transmission, performance valve body properly cleaned, inspected and reinstalled, and new AMG clutches installed as well.
Oh how I miss that car!!!!!!!!!!!!
Car must of been making some power if you were shearing the output shaft on a Nag 1.What did it run at the track

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I only pulled a 12.67 in the 1/4 @ 111.3 mp/h with full stereo in it and almost a full tank of fuel (and not so skinny me as well :)).
I swapped out the diff for a Getrag 3.92 LSD, too (I liked to lay 11's all over the road back then... I didn't care about tires or cost...ding **** I was..lol)
I borrowed a friends drag radials and warmed them up. The track was just prepped, and when I smashed the go stick I only got mere inches and BANG.....
I thought it was just limp mode, and then looked underneath and observed the the reality...lol

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's according to what you are after for finished project..... a larger throttle body does NOT always help... little more info? IF just "more power" ProCharger, bolt on......... drill crank and install pin....... What are ya after?