NHTSA finally opens ABS/HCU investigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Maybe so. BUT, they know the part wasn't/ isn't self installing! ;) They should allot some labor reimbursement!
labor was only $140 but would be nice to get that back too

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It's important that yall submit a report to the NHTSA if you've had this failure and want a recall to happen. I see they only have 134 reports submitted, yet it seems I could find that many reported failures on this website alone if I tried.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
It's important that yall submit a report to the NHTSA if you've had this failure and want a recall to happen. I see they only have 134 reports submitted, yet it seems I could find that many reported failures on this website alone if I tried.
I submitted one awhile back

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Just completed one.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Does anyone else who is experiencing this issue have it come and go? It's almost as if mine is made worse by bumpy roads. We had warm dry weather here today so I took my 2500 on a 3 hour round trip to pick up a new kayak. When I started the truck both lights were on but I wasn't getting the chime. Made it about half an hour before the first chime and it only did it a few more times on the trip up. On the way home it started chiming repeatedly when I was going over a rougher area of interstate. When I got onto a nice smooth country road I had several minutes with no lights and no chiming before hitting a rough patch of pavement and it started up again.

I watched one Youtube video where someone apparently ran his issue down to one loose wire in the connector to the control unit. The way mine acts I wouldn't be surprised if that was the issue I'm having as well but that dude's skills and patience far outpace mine and I'd imagine a dealership would rather just replace parts until they get it right (at my expense).

Just curious...

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone else who is experiencing this issue have it come and go? It's almost as if mine is made worse by bumpy roads. We had warm dry weather here today so I took my 2500 on a 3 hour round trip to pick up a new kayak. When I started the truck both lights were on but I wasn't getting the chime. Made it about half an hour before the first chime and it only did it a few more times on the trip up. On the way home it started chiming repeatedly when I was going over a rougher area of interstate. When I got onto a nice smooth country road I had several minutes with no lights and no chiming before hitting a rough patch of pavement and it started up again.

I watched one Youtube video where someone apparently ran his issue down to one loose wire in the connector to the control unit. The way mine acts I wouldn't be surprised if that was the issue I'm having as well but that dude's skills and patience far outpace mine and I'd imagine a dealership would rather just replace parts until they get it right (at my expense).

Just curious...
Inasmuch as the gummit outlawed lead in EVERYTHING, including solder, I'd hazard a guess that you are experiencing a cracked solder joint on the phenolic circuit board in the ABS module.

OP
OP
wallacemf

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4

Just curious...

That is how mine started out, almost as if something was loose. Eventually, after a couple months, the ABS and traction control lights stayed on permanently. The chiming stopped for the most part though.

It’s fine to check for loose connections and such, but I’d bet your HCU is on its way out…

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It seems like I've managed to improve mine by loosening the HCU bracket bolts. I've gone from a chime every 10-15 seconds to not at al

Not suggesting that this is a fix, but it has at least temporarily improved

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems like I've managed to improve mine by loosening the HCU bracket bolts. I've gone from a chime every 10-15 seconds to not at al

Not suggesting that this is a fix, but it has at least temporarily improved
A strong possibility is that there IS a poor solder connection in the ABS ECU, and that the loosening of the mounting bolts relaxed stress on that ECU to the point of a contact of the "cracked" solder.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
3 days and only one chime so far, right when I shifted it into drive in the morning and that was it.

Definitely seems like a solder joint or case ground issue. I'll cut this HCU open after I swap it out.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I haven't researched it for the RAM trucks but Fords have had an issue too with ABS. There are services being sold on eBay by vendors for the repair of the module. I have 2 F150s that when the customers are ready I'll be pulling the modules off and sending them out. Usually 2 day turn around once received.
I haven't had an issue on mine or my Dad's Rams so I haven't looked into it.....yet.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I haven't researched it for the RAM trucks but Fords have had an issue too with ABS. There are services being sold on eBay by vendors for the repair of the module. I have 2 F150s that when the customers are ready I'll be pulling the modules off and sending them out. Usually 2 day turn around once received.
I haven't had an issue on mine or my Dad's Rams so I haven't looked into it.....yet.

Are these Bosch ABS modules?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I can't confirm. Older units were Kelsey-Hayes but the 2 I'm referring to may be Bosch. The folks haven't been able to leave me the trucks yet to remove and send it out. But from what I'm finding they may be Bosch.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
225 more miles today, no chimes.

It's significantly influenced by shock/vibration transmitted to the HCU through the mounting hardware. Always knew that, but it has DRASTICALLY improved in the short term just by loosening the mounting bolts, which were pretty damn tight. Definitely worth a try if you're having the flash dash woes.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The more I think about it, the more I wish I had done this immediately after the first one was replaced. When I replace this one, I will be adding as much vibration dampening to it as I can manage. It would have probably extended the life on this one significantly.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kelsey-Hayes, I believe!
The more I think about it, the more I wish I had done this immediately after the first one was replaced. When I replace this one, I will be adding as much vibration dampening to it as I can manage. It would have probably extended the life on this one significantly.
When the manufacturers first began with C-3 systems in cars in 50 states, (Computer Command Control) in 1981, I was at GM. At a factory class about this system, the instructor of that class pointed out that the manufacturers were subjecting computers to extremes of humidity and temperatures AND very severe vibration.
Those original computers had thin metal housings with zero weather protection! (not very bright). Today's modules are pretty well climate "resistant". Flooding will still kill one ;).

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Fix was short lived - back to techno concert on the dash while driving.

ryams27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the ABS issue too but I'm in a 2016. Strange/disappointing that the NHTSA investigation concerns only 2017 & 2018. My ABS, traction and Brake lights started randomly coming on at about 70k miles. Then stayed on permanently at about 80k (also renders cruise control inoperable). Dealership wants over $2k to replace HCU and ABS control module. Told me they've had to replace them on countless 2015-2018 models.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the ABS issue too but I'm in a 2016. Strange/disappointing that the NHTSA investigation concerns only 2017 & 2018. My ABS, traction and Brake lights started randomly coming on at about 70k miles. Then stayed on permanently at about 80k (also renders cruise control inoperable). Dealership wants over $2k to replace HCU and ABS control module. Told me they've had to replace them on countless 2015-2018 models.
I'm telling you this story only anecdotally. I make no claim to "advise" anyone to do this, BUT, it worked for me. In early August, 2019, a buddy of mine called me to inform me that a vehicle fitting the type I was looking for came up on the salvage call system. Inasmuch as this vehicle was being offered by a woman who literally lived around the corner from me, my buddy suggested I go look at it. It Was/is a 2007 Kia Sorento. The vehicle is an EX (has all the bells and whistles). Upon test driving this SUV, it became very obvious that the brakes has a VERY serious problem which on it's own merit, made the vehicle unsafe to drive. I bought the car and drove it home (around the corner). It turned out to have a bad ABS hydraulic unit. Kia wanted almost 2 grand for the part in total. Being as I'd paid 300 dollars for the car, I wasn't about to pay that absurd amount, SO, I bought a salvage part which, in total with shipping and tax set me back 69 dollars. It is still on the car today, and it is my wife's car.
This was nearly 4 years ago. Among many other repairs, this one was the most necessary to make the car safe to drive. Several of my peers who own shops tell me that they've used salvage ABS units over the years with great results. I won't install a used one on a customer's car due to liability issues.
The whole concept of jumping over a dollar to save a dime worked out well for me, but I believe it was pure luck, no more. I did have to code the module portion of the unit into the CAN/BUS system... but that took only a few seconds because I have a scanner capable of module coding.