NHTSA Opening Probe for Steering Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theskier74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone! Thought I would post this here as personally, my electronic steering has been causing me issues for months with loss of assist. The problems I have had are described perfectly by the recall that has been released before for 2016 Ram 1500's with power steering issues but of course, my truck did not match a recall VIN. Anyways, it looks like there might be something else in the works here. I for sure will be filing a complaint. I have reached out to the dealership multiple times regarding my steering issue and Ram Care but both being told that since my truck isn't in the original recall, that's pretty much it. So fingers crossed for the rest of us who have clearly been suffering from the same issues. My truck has 60,000 miles on it and facing power steering issues. That isn't right...

VSJ2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for posting that. I bought my 2016 used just before that article came out. Just the other day I lost my power steering in traffic but was able to get it into a Lowes parking lot. After waiting for 2 hours for a tow truck, the Ram "fixed" itself and has been fine for 2 days. Still leery it'll cut out again at the worst moment.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I
Thanks for posting that. I bought my 2016 used just before that article came out. Just the other day I lost my power steering in traffic but was able to get it into a Lowes parking lot. After waiting for 2 hours for a tow truck, the Ram "fixed" itself and has been fine for 2 days. Still leery it'll cut out again at the worst moment.
It likely had water inside or one of the solder joints is failing. Expect it to go out again. In the mean time, report the issue to nhtsa. The more people who report the issue, the better the chance of getting either an extended warranty on these, reimbursed for out of pocket expenses, or even a recall.