No love for drop in bedliners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pic18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my Ram. I've had 2 GMC's and a Chevy before the Ram. I've always has plastic bedliners, and never had any problems. I've only kept the trucks 5 years or less. After searching endlessly on this forum, how come it seems no one has any love for plastic bedliners. I'd like to hear from those who have them, and what they think. Thanks for the help!

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Mine came with one when i bought and i like having it sometimes. Any crud that gets into it i can simply just hose it out but smaller things and my sand for the winter tends to slide around on the plastic. Its not fun cleaning out all the sand after the bags explode

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had one in a '91 Chevy I bought in 2000, so I don't know how long the liner had been in there before I bought it. But when I bought it, the liner had rubbed the paint off to bare metal in places.

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is the Duraliner and was either factory or dealer installed. It's the third one I've had on three different trucks. I like them a lot. I often have firewood for camping and other things back there so it protects the bed. It is slippery though and stuff slides around. On my last Chevy truck I had a custom fit GM rubber mat and I liked how things didn't slide around as much.

If I didn't have the Duraliner already, I think I would like the sprayed on one like the Lin-x or Rhino. The professionally done ones though not the DIY. The ones I've seen done are really nice.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plastic liners aren't bad but they let dirt and water under them and as you drive it can act like sandpaper in spots and start THE process. It is better than nothing. And cheaper.

A spray in liner prevents the dirt and water from getting underneath. If you get a gash or a chunk missing, it can be fixed.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like them.

My old Dakota had one and I liked it. Sure, stuff slid around, but I could also throw things in the bed and not worry about denting the bed.

My new truck has the spray in one - I thought it would be great. It is, but I won't lie, I feel kinds bad about throwin things in the bed, either for fear of scratching it, or dinging the bed. So, I got a rubber bed mat to put on top of the spray in, and that puts me enough at ease.

Reo Cook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I rock those in all my trucks. Haven't let me down yet :)

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Drop in spray in both have there disadvantages drop tend to scratch the bad and may start rusting spray on doesnt seem to protect against dings in the bed ive had both but all in all i like the drop in better alot easier to clean and durable you can always do both for the best of both worlds lol

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I don't like how slippery the plastic ones are. I don't like how dirt and crap gets under them and then when you clean it out it is a mess underneath.

Perfect combo is probably a rubber mat over the spray on but I just have spray in liner which I feel are best.

I would rather go no liner than plastic at least then the scratched up bed is not trapped underneath plastic or rubber. This is just my opinion on this. There is no wrong way just preference.

$miley

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I prefer the spray-on liners. Dings and dents in the bed aren't a concern to me as long as water and grit isn't getting trapped to contribute to rust. IMO, a dent is preferable to a rusted out hole...not that rust has ever made a hole in any of my truck beds. :p

I like $miley's method: rubber mat over spray on.

YMMV

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I had my F-150 line-x'd in 1997 and put a rubber mat on top of it and have had it that way ever since. Plastic is good if you need to slide loads in and out a lot. They also allow loads to slide around when you don't want them too VERY easily as well.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
I prefer the spray-on liners. Dings and dents in the bed aren't a concern to me as long as water and grit isn't getting trapped to contribute to rust. IMO, a dent is preferable to a rusted out hole...not that rust has ever made a hole in any of my truck beds. :p

I like $miley's method: rubber mat over spray on.

YMMV

x2 for that combo!:imo:

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weathertech has a new drop in liner that I have sold a few of and both customers were quite happy.
It is fairly new....

Just something Id throw out there.

Found here:
WeatherTech TechLiner

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The 05 has a drop in liner from the factory over the rail and has rubbed the paint, that will be getting line-x'd soon. The 04 was bare from the dealership and I tossed in a rubber mat in that from Dodge. After denting the wheel well with a stump and knocking the paint off it got hammered out and line-x'd with the rubber mat overtop.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Yeah, my '07 has a drop-in from the dealer. It was fine for a year then it started scratching paint and making noise. Next time it's Line-x or Rhino for sure.

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had the drop in from the dealer. Just took it out and got Line-X. After just over a year, the paint had been rubbed to the metal in a few places, and the whole thing was ill fitting, especially on the lip against the cab and on the tail gate. Had to give the drop in liner away to get rid of it!

OP
OP
P

Pic18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the drop in from the dealer. Just took it out and got Line-X. After just over a year, the paint had been rubbed to the metal in a few places, and the whole thing was ill fitting, especially on the lip against the cab and on the tail gate. Had to give the drop in liner away to get rid of it!

That sucks. Maybe I'll be regretting my decision. I ordered the Mopar drop in. We'll see. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey can you guys take pics of your drop ins? new and old.. I'm really on the fence. I see the pros and cons of both but man 600 bucks is a lot of money for me to protect the bed of my truck.. I cant make up my mind...

i was thinking of Rugged Liner or save up the whole summer and never use my bed for the basic line-x (quoted 550plus tax).. I just want it NOW and I can afford a drop in, I just dont want to wait.. but I also dont want to regret it.. I hate the idea of denting my bed with the spray in but I also dont want to worry about rust.. gerrrrrrrrr I cant make up my mind..