No MDS solenoids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanyprojects

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 RAM 1500 5.7 that smokes and has loss of power.
I just got in a remanufactured engine.
So the way they come is bare bones. I need to swap everything over from my 180,000 mile engine to the reman.
The MDS solenoids I’m sure won’t be able to be salvaged from the old engine.
here is my question:
If I just cap off the holes for the solenoids, will using a tuner to disable MDS remove the CEL for the solenoids not being plugged in?
And is it ok to not have the solenoids in place?
Or should I just pay $300 for new solenoids?

Sorry if this has been covered. I did look but didn’t find anyone in my same situation.
Thanks in advance

Rod Knock

Reaction score
If I just cap off the holes for the solenoids, will using a tuner to disable MDS remove the CEL for the solenoids not being plugged in?
If you do that then your lifter bores will be pressure lubed like on a non-MDS engine and your MDS lifters will be collapsed permanently. You won't have working valves on four cylinders, permanently. It doesn't matter that you disable MDS in the computer, in fact, it will make things worse because it will try to inject fuel and spark ignition in the non-working cylinders. The results might be interesting. Hopefully, you will just get a code for misfire, the best-case scenario.

Or should I just pay $300 for new solenoids?
I would have bought a non-MDS HEMI, but it's too late for that now.

OP
OP
T

toomanyprojects

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had also found that thread. Didn’t answer the specific question I had.

I will just be ordered new MDS solenoids and making it OEM. I don’t really care to turn the MDS off. I was just trying to get around having to buy new ones.
It's really simple to remove the solenoids without damaging them. I spray them with some type of penetrating oil and let them sit for about 30 minutes. Then I turn the solenoid slowly and pull up until the
o-ring breaks free.

It's also easy to delete the MDS on a new short block that is equipped with MDS. You will need to change the lifters in cylinders
1-4-6-7, install the MDS plugs and then purchase a tuner that is MDS delete capable.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's really simple to remove the solenoids without damaging them. I spray them with some type of penetrating oil and let them sit for about 30 minutes. Then I turn the solenoid slowly and pull up until the
o-ring breaks free.

It's also easy to delete the MDS on a new short block that is equipped with MDS. You will need to change the lifters in cylinders
1-4-6-7, install the MDS plugs and then purchase a tuner that is MDS delete capable.
Cam should also be changed to do it properly.The ramps are differant between the mds lobes and non-mds lobes,you can run non-mds lifters on the mds lobes and get away with it for awhile,but to do it right he should swap out the cam to at least a 5.7 manual transmission Challenger cam

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Cam should also be changed to do it properly.The ramps are differant between the mds lobes and non-mds lobes,you can run non-mds lifters on the mds lobes and get away with it for awhile,but to do it right he should swap out the cam to at least a 5.7 manual transmission Challenger cam
You are 100% correct. I was trying to give the best advice for his situation since he already purchased the MDS short block. The 5.7 Challenger manual trans camshaft can be had for a decent price as well.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good idea. It will cost you more money & time to delete it.:favorites13: