No power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kingws6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys. I have a huge problem. I have a 1996 Ram 1500 with a 5.2 liter. The problem I'm having at the moment is that there is no power. The battery reads 12 volts, but no juice is getting to the dash, lights, starter, or ignition. I've replaced every fuse I can think of that would interrupt power but no luck. Any ideas?

jimdd810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Check your ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kingws6

Kingws6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was my first choice. Been all through it and nothing is out of place.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Is it doing anything when you turn the key to the "on" position?

If you have checked all the relays and fuses, and you are still not getting anything, then most likely your problem is the key switch itself. Also, get a buddy to listen as you turn the key, the relay should "click" when the key is turned to the on position.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kingws6

Kingws6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I fixed the problem. It was a combo of faulty terminals and ground. I also had to replace two fuses.

OP
OP
Kingws6

Kingws6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The weird part was when the negative terminal ohm'd out fine. I played it safe and bought a new one.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you think you know anything about electrical issues you can forget it when it comes to automotive.
Automotive electrical is a beast of it's own and challenge even the most qualified.