no start, completely dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK, what am I missing? my 73 d100 field/parts truck was running fine. then, I disconnected the harness at the firewall to remove the instruments and steering column. those parts are going into my restoration project. Re-installed a different column with the original 73 ignition switch. so all electronics minus the missing dash cluster should be original. plugged everything back in. now there's zero power. no start, no accessory power, nothing.

all fused in the glove compartment box are good. anything else I should be checking?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you didn't re install the gauges the amp wires are just sitting there so nothing in the cab is getting any power at all. you can bolt them together or run a wire from the alternator output straight to the battery and should get the truck running

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
glad you said that. That was going to be my next move. my circuit tester showed the red wire to be live. I've been studying the wiring diagrams, crappy ones at that, in the Chilton manual. Will that a go this weekend.

thanks.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
no problem. most of the time people bypass the amp gauge on those things when things start acting up since all power runs through the amp gauge. usually people have issues with the wires melting at the firewall when they get older and connections start getting poor.

OP
OP
R

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
by passed the circuit and now have power to the cab.

the other issue was kind of a brain fart. I took out the steering column to restore it and use it on my project. re-installed a slightly less intact column from a manual column shift truck. well the shifter tab is on the opposite side of the column so when I shifted into what I thought was park, it was actually in 1 (low) so the neutral lock out switch wouldn't let the truck start. Once I finally remembered that part, I put the shifter down to 1 and that put the trans in park, started and had no issues. now just gotta remember the field truck shift pattern is reversed and not hurt myself working out in the pasture....

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
hahahaha at least that was a simple fix. my 81 is still wired like a standard so i can start my truck in any gear but you definitely need to put it in park when not running. don't want a runaway truck. that never ends good lol.