No start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
went to start my 2014 ram with 5.7 one morning and no crank, heard a clink when I turned it over but that’s all. Light and accessories work and tried to boost it with no luck. Battery is less that 2 years old ac delco, unsure what this issue is.

Thanks

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If a boost won't get it to turn over there is a good chance your starter has gone out on you. If you know how to jump the solenoid, try that first, if not, take out the starter and get it tested. If you need a replacement, Mopar starters cost more, but they are worth the price. Try ordering through your closest discount Mopar site, there is one in Edm that operates out of Great West Chrysler's parts counter, I use all the time. Parts King is also a great option if you want to save some money.

This one is Nanaimo but you can find one of these for most larger cities and towns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chris19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks appreciate it. Also after further inspection I noticed the cluster of wires connecting to the starter were corroded and frayed. Can the wires be patched/new harness or does the starter need to be fully replaced.

Thanks

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks appreciate it. Also after further inspection I noticed the cluster of wires connecting to the starter were corroded and frayed. Can the wires be patched/new harness or does the starter need to be fully replaced.

Thanks
Well if the wires are frayed and corroded that could easily be the problem. Starter may be just fine, but not getting juice. Clean those up first. If you need to add make sure you use big enough wire, soldered together etc. I don't know how far back you would have to go if you need to completely replace that wiring. I have always been able to clean them up, never have had to add any or replace.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Curious to know if cleaning up the wires solved the problem.

OP
OP
C

Chris19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ended up having to replace the starter, wires were too corroded and too close to the old starter. Hopefully an issue like this doesn't reoccur else where.
Cheers.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ended up having to replace the starter, wires were too corroded and too close to the old starter. Hopefully an issue like this doesn't reoccur else where.
Cheers.
Wait: U replaced the starter? Did you also clean/repair/replace the frayed wiring?>

OP
OP
C

Chris19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yes, wires were in rough condition and broke at the base of the starter, cleaned everything up though. It was the original from factory, however, shouldn’t cause anymore issues for a while.