Nobody likes Mopar CAI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone

I know cold air intakes are always being discussed on here and I have read tons of threads on them. Everyone is always talking about k&n and vararam and others. I've seen the Mopar one mentioned a few times and nobody has said anything negative. But it just doesn't seem to be highly recommended like the others.

Is there any reason for this? I'm looking to get one and want the best one I can get. I had assumed Mopar's would have been high on the list.

travelinty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was honestly thinking of doing the Mopar, one it shouldn't f@ck with warranty and 2 eventually do the ram air hood conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone

I know cold air intakes are always being discussed on here and I have read tons of threads on them. Everyone is always talking about k&n and vararam and others. I've seen the Mopar one mentioned a few times and nobody has said anything negative. But it just doesn't seem to be highly recommended like the others.

Is there any reason for this? I'm looking to get one and want the best one I can get. I had assumed Mopar's would have been high on the list.

There is nothing wrong with the Mopar, it is a well built CAI. One of my buddy's has one on his truck and really likes it. I would say it is mainly a price thing. Why pay more for a Mopar CAI when some of the other brands perform has good or better and are built has good for a much better price.

If you are looking for a CAI similar to the Mopar I would check out S&B. The quality is just has good if not better than the Mopar and is 100-150 dollars cheaper. Link below.

S&B Cold Air Intake 2009-2017 Ram 1500/2500/3500 5.7L Hemi

Me personally I would stay away from k&n has it is more of a hot air intake and lacking build quality. I had one on my truck and ditched it after one month for a vararam.

Last edited:

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I went with the S&B Intake as its covered (clear cover on top of it). It was a bit of a more complicated install but it didn't take that much longer. Love the look and sound.

It was $300 total...vs. more for several other intakes.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Seemed like when I was looking the Mopar was a good $50-100 more than everybody else with nothing to show for it except the Mopar name.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
K&N suxs, literally, they suck hot air from your engine compartment, I had one and threw it away when I went with the Vararam system. S&Bs are well thought of and liked too.

Attachments

• IMG_20150905_093746_918.jpg
    IMG_20150905_093746_918.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: CTD

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I really wanted the Mopar. I just could not justify the cost with S&B having such a good quality intake.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Mopar one, Dealer installed. I cant complain especially that it wont interfere with my lifetime warranty

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO, they are a waste of good money just for looks ( So some are "pretty" how many drive around with no hood?) and "cool sound", every time you hear that sound your MPG just got shot to hell:)

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well i can say that i did feel a small difference driving a 1500 without the Mopar CAI. I had to ask the sales guy what the difference was because i felt a difference in power. He looked and said one had a CAI installed.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
IMHO, they are a waste of good money just for looks ( So some are "pretty" how many drive around with no hood?) and "cool sound", every time you hear that sound your MPG just got shot to hell:)

Until recently, I would agree with you. Afew folk on this board, that have been around awhile have posted that the variram makes a difference. Some have also posted pics of the variram caked with snow so that ruled it out for me. Of course lots of us spend dollars for looks and cool sound. Lol. Semper Fi my friend.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Until recently, I would agree with you. Afew folk on this board, that have been around awhile have posted that the variram makes a difference. Some have also posted pics of the variram caked with snow so that ruled it out for me. Of course lots of us spend dollars for looks and cool sound. Lol. Semper Fi my friend.
So, go vararam unless you live in a place that gets more snow than, say, Georgia or the Carolinas? Then get s&b? And these are both the top performance intakes for future modding?

Sent from my magic 5-inch

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Alot of people og the Vararam intake without snow issues, I would not make that a huge choice in getting one or not.

Reactions: CTD

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I had a Mopar on my 1500, I went with it because I got a big discount. Otherwise I prob would have went S&B. The kit was nice quality and looked pretty cool. I liked the nice OEM look. Only issues were, if i remember now... the hole in the intake tube for the sensor was too small and i had to open it up wider. Also, the main box was kind of a PITA to manuever into place.

Made the truck a bit louder at WOT (also had a cat back) and felt like it had a faster response on the highway and at higher speeds. Seemed like the truck just pulled better. Around town didnt notice anything much but didnt expect anything going in really.

I would overall recommend it if you could find a discount.

Luis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I've been debating getting a Vararam or S&B but im pretty satisfied with my home made modified stock one so far. Replaced and relocated the coolant reservoir, removed the airbox to fender piece and added some plastic rain gutter tube that is routed straight to the grill. I wish I was handy enough to fabricate something better than what I have right now. I have an Ultragauge installed right now and it reads the intake air temperature, its usually anywhere from 5-8 degree difference than the outside air temp so im highly satisfied that the small modification is doing its job.

I would go Vararam but I just don't like the angles of the air routing portion

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 2500
No one likes to mopar CAI because it's overpriced and isn't a true COLD air intake, the box isn't closed off and allows the filter to pull hot air from the engine bay. S&B all the way for everything that isn't made for big power or sees snow or off-roading, otherwise, vararam.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Unless the quality of the S&B's has improved, I wouldn't buy one. I had one on my Silverado and there is no way it was "cold". Sure the top plexiglass top looked cool, but the plastic air filter box was crappy. The plastic walls of the box were thin and warped over time. No-way it was getting "cold" fresh air when the box was such a crappy design.

Just my $0.02 I will probably stay with a stock one since it is better insulated. Maybe put in a performance drop in and change out the intake tube itself with a custom one and make a custom "fresh air" hose to the intake box like a couple other drivers have on this forum.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been debating getting a Vararam or S&B but im pretty satisfied with my home made modified stock one so far. Replaced and relocated the coolant reservoir, removed the airbox to fender piece and added some plastic rain gutter tube that is routed straight to the grill. I wish I was handy enough to fabricate something better than what I have right now. I have an Ultragauge installed right now and it reads the intake air temperature, its usually anywhere from 5-8 degree difference than the outside air temp so im highly satisfied that the small modification is doing its job.

I would go Vararam but I just don't like the angles of the air routing portion

Did the same as you, but used dryer vent.. I haven't opened it to the outside yet its just sitting near the bumper. Its obviously pulling air though as I had some junk in the bottom of the box when I changed filters. Did you notice any throttle response changes? I swear mine actually got more lag but overall power seems better in high RPM's. I also added a Green Performance drop in

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any CAI will give you very minor gains. If you want one because you know it will breathe better then okay go for it... That being said I have a S&B installed and I have gone to the dealer without any issues. I dont think anything is wrong with Mopar besides that damn price tag! why spend so much when you can get the same thing for less ( aka S&B).

It comes down to this; its just a intake. Shoot the stock intake is pretty solid itself. Just swap the filter if your tight on money.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member