Noise when accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sitdownicantsee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2017 5.7 2500...sounds like a belt but I’m not sure- I couldn’t find any “tabs” on the exhaust or anything touching it that would make the noise. It sounds like a rattle can bring shaked fast. You can hear it faintly at idle, it’s not the Hemi tick. It matches with engine speed and has a higher pitch when the truck shifts. Any help is great guys. Please ask questions so that I can better describe this problem, thanks fellas

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So it has a slightly metallic sound? Not a heavy metal clunk, right?

OP
OP
sitdownicantsee

sitdownicantsee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes a slightly metallic sound. It’s “rattling frequency” and sound level matches with how much throttle I give it. If you thumb the bristles on a comb real fast that’s about what it sounds like.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It sounds like it may be an exhaust heat shield.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you had an older RAM I'd say you should check if coming form the cat convertor. When the interior element starts to deteriorate sounds like a "rattle can". However in your case, Just as MADDOG says, check heat shield and rest of exhaust connections.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
2017 5.7 2500...sounds like a belt but I’m not sure- I couldn’t find any “tabs” on the exhaust or anything touching it that would make the noise. It sounds like a rattle can bring shaked fast. You can hear it faintly at idle, it’s not the Hemi tick. It matches with engine speed and has a higher pitch when the truck shifts. Any help is great guys. Please ask questions so that I can better describe this problem, thanks fellas

If you hear it most when accelerating, it's probably not the same sound you're hearing at idle. What brand & octane gas are you using? It could be pre-ignition from poor quality or low octane fuel. Did this (start) occur (ing) shortly after a refuel?

OP
OP
sitdownicantsee

sitdownicantsee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve tried putting a tank of 92 in it but it didn’t change anything. I’ve had it for a month and I noticed it the second day I had it unfortunately.

OP
OP
sitdownicantsee

sitdownicantsee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can hear the noise when giving slight throttle to medium throttle, but I do not hear he noise when the truck is in Park while giving it throttle.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I can hear the noise when giving slight throttle to medium throttle, but I do not hear he noise when the truck is in Park while giving it throttle.
Is it completely stock? If not, a list of mods would be helpful. Any recent maintenance done to it? Try another tank of high octane gas and/or add some octane booster/fuel system cleaner w/strong dose of PEA such as Amsoil PI or Redline S1. If you bought it used, can you tell how many idle/driving hrs are on it in your evic? Many 3/4 tons are purchased as fleet vehicles and a good portion of them sit and idle for hours and hours, causing carbon to build up.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the noise sound like "VRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOM"?
Sorry... Ignore me... I couldn't resist

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you ever figure it out?. My 2011 I noticed recently started having a similar issue. I haven’t looked it over real well just yet but I did crawl under and snap off the exhaust tab at the Y pipe that some say causes noises. Unfortunately that didn’t get rid of the issue. For me my engine is whisper quite (not even the typical hemi tick) except on cold start I have a little exhaust leak that I beleive to be a manifold gasket. Once it warms up it quotes down though. In park or neutral I can rev it and it doesn’t make a peep. But if I put it in drive, out my foot on the brake and goose the gas I hear a rattle type of noise. It doesn’t sound like internal mechanical noise though. It’s a hard one to explain. I’ve been working on cars for years and years and haven’t had a noise so tricky to pin point before lol. It also makes the noise if I’m cruising along at just about any speed and quickly smack the throttle. Or even at part throttle slowly driving up a steep incline. I did notice that I can easily turn my clutch fan by hand and was wondering if maybe what I am hearing is my fan trying to engage or maybe a tensioner pulley rattle or something. I’m going to inspect things further in the next few days and I’ll report back with what/if I find anything in mine