Not sure what the problem is on my 1996 dodge ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kempie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone new to site on my 1996 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.9 about a two weeks ago the wife ran it really low on gas not to the point of stalling but light was on for about 20-25 miles. I put some gas in it it ran fine till it got a litte low then it back fired a bit like it wasn't getting enough gas so I put my foot into it it studded a small bit then took off so I filled it up and np at all with it now it's getting down to a quarter of a tank and its starting to do the little back fire and put foot into gas it studders and takes of but it doesn't happen all the time it's now and then any ideas would be great

Rodney Belair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you may have sucked some crap from the bottom of the tank.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello everyone new to site on my 1996 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.9 about a two weeks ago the wife ran it really low on gas not to the point of stalling but light was on for about 20-25 miles. I put some gas in it it ran fine till it got a litte low then it back fired a bit like it wasn't getting enough gas so I put my foot into it it studded a small bit then took off so I filled it up and np at all with it now it's getting down to a quarter of a tank and its starting to do the little back fire and put foot into gas it studders and takes of but it doesn't happen all the time it's now and then any ideas would be great
I would get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge to verify that you have the proper fuel pressure. There is a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail to attach the gauge. Attach the fuel pressure gauge to the test port on the left fuel rail, towards the front, and turn the key to the run position. Your fuel pressure should be anywhere from 44-54psi. Normally I see fuel pressure in the 45-47psi range.

OP
OP
Kempie

Kempie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you i will test that out