NP241 DLD gets lazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
well, my transfer case decided it didn't want to work anymore.........:shooter:

so i am curious if anyone can point my towards somewhere with known good quality rebuild kits, so i can do it myself. Also, anyone know anyone in the pacific northwest that has a NV4500, NV5600, or a g56, with a transfer case that they are looking to sell? for cash money? i figure i might just do a manual swap now, or do a rebuild. any help is just that, help. never dug into a transfer case, but i know its within my ability. tips, hints, pointers, already rebuilt one sitting in your shop that you wanna give away, anything helps. thanks guys!

now, for what happened. This morning, after i hooked up the trailer with a light load, i was getting ready to go out and make a delivery to a customer on site, got a block down the road and my truck was no longer in gear. wtf? i was able to limp it into a parking lot, and it was fighting me the whole time. (at this point, i'm thinking tranny) it would partially engage into gears, but not really. transfer case was locked in 2wd hi. spoke to a local tranny shop, helped me diagnose a bit better. had me shift into 4x4 low, and i could get in and out of all my gears just fine. couldn't turn with a darn, but didn't expect to knowing that my truck goes into tank mode in 4x4 low. (something to do with both axles locking up in 4x4 low.....) what they told me, is that there are some forks in the transfer case tat are known to go out. When they do, both hi gears go outs in the transfer case, and it acts like it is in neutral. But the low gear uses a different fork and will still engage tank mode. So since tank mode works fine, but nothing else does, he is 90% sure its the tcase. but "can't be sure without looking at it." what i'd like to do now, is a manual swap, and pick up a used transfer case and a good manual. but if i can't find one, i don't feel like paying a shop an arm and a leg to do this, so i will do it myself. questions comments, trouble shooting help, i'm all ear. thanks guys, and get ready for a sad sight.....

2012-10-01_12-43-28_310.jpg

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
me too. I've got alot of eyes and ears on it here locally, but if i have to i'll drive 10 hours to get one for the right price and drive back.

Mopower318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
You could try cummins forum those guys in the classifieds might have something in ur area.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
just found a local 241 DLD out of of 97 cummins auto, gunna go look at it and see if i can get it for the right price...

as for the manual swap, definitely informed myself alot more today and yesterday about options, i will still do this, but i will be able to do on my time, and find the deals i normally look for....(and not have to borrow money to get it done like i was looking at doing)

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well, i just about resigned myself to getting one from the wrecker with s 6 month warranty...than this morning my buddy got back to me and he knows someone with a 95 ctd 5 speed 4x4 that might be willing to work something out with me on his set up. Just waiting on a call to decide if im pulling my tcase or pulling the whole set up....