NV4500 Won't Go Into Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gavia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'll try to make a long story short.... My grandfather gifted his old truck to my son, which is awesome. The truck is a 2003 2500 with the 5.9 cummins and NV4500 trans. We drove it home nearly 2000 miles without incident. The next day we go to drive it and it won't go into 3rd gear. We park it and then try again and it won't go into any gear. Ideas?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When the vehicle is shut off, e brake on, flat ground
can you shift through the gears ? with & without using the clutch.

Then try unscrewing the inspection cover under the bell housing, engine shut off, Have someone push the clutch in as you watch the Clutch, fork arm, etc.
Have them try shifting too.
Also check the linkage that comes out of the cab & goes to the side of the transmission, it may be jammed & may need a bit of persuasion.

Without being there myself, i can't think of anything else

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
If it's 3rd only, I'd suggest it's not the clutch. The bushings thathold the spacer plate to the top of the unit may be worn. Take out the rubber shift boot and loosen the 4 bolts holding the shifter plate. Move the plate a bit and tighten the bolts back down. You may have to do this a few times until it's in the correct position.

OP
OP
G

gavia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
When the vehicle is shut off, e brake on, flat ground
can you shift through the gears ? with & without using the clutch.

Then try unscrewing the inspection cover under the bell housing, engine shut off, Have someone push the clutch in as you watch the Clutch, fork arm, etc.
Have them try shifting too.
Also check the linkage that comes out of the cab & goes to the side of the transmission, it may be jammed & may need a bit of persuasion.

Without being there myself, i can't think of anything else
Thanks for your response! yes, I can shift through the gears with the vehicle shut off with and without the clutch.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Looks like it is time to do some research, well actually some reading

These guys have all had issues with the NV4500

I just watched a video on how they install the bell housing, clutch, transmission, etc.

I would not want any part of it