Odd Dash Symbol...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jssmith76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Evening ya'll. Earlier today I started up my '09 1500, 2 wheel drive, 5.9l automatic; and this symbol came on the dash. Hadn't driven it in a couple days. I looked through the owners manual, and I didn't see this symbol at all. So, I figured I'd give you all a crack at it. I dunno what it means. About 20 minutes later I parked, went in a store. 5 minutes later came back, started it up, and no symbol. Hasn't popped up since, but I'm still curious as to what it is. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks,
Josha2084cbaf4311b73de288e33306143ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jssmith76

jssmith76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Means your gas cap is loose (or you have a leak in your system).
Funny. That was my first assumption. Thought it looked like a gas cap. A couple months ago, I got a check engine light, no message. Had autozone check it for me. Came up with a vacuum leak, most likely gas cap. So, bought a new cap, and that didn't fix it. Guess it's time to start digging into it and see where this leak can be coming from.

OP
OP
jssmith76

jssmith76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the idea. Never thought of that one. Unfortunately, I already don't have the tether for the cap, and I've already replaced the cap as well. Guess I could try replacing the cap again.

Well, I did have a rotating trend that was occuring. Prior of that my gas light had come on a couple times before since I owned the truck and that was a result of just not turning the gas cap tight enough. If you recently replaced your cap,. I would think that suffices ruling out a bad gas cap. Considering you are not throwing any codes, I wonder if it is a matter of not tightening the gas cap enough or possibly a loose or breached vac hose. You can try some vaseline on the rubber on the gas cap and inspect the fittings and integrity of all your vac lines. Other than that, a small breach hiding from the naked eye could be found with a smoke test.

Teknoracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure u get an OEM mopar cap from dealer!!! Those aftermarket caps are garbage

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
...5.9l automatic...

Not trying to be a jerk, but just so you know... your truck probably has a 5.7L Hemi, not the ol' 5.9L Magnum V8 that was retired around 2002. :happy107:

As previously mentioned, aftermarket gas caps are hit and miss. Best bet is an OEM cap.

OP
OP
jssmith76

jssmith76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to be a jerk, but just so you know... your truck probably has a 5.7L Hemi, not the ol' 5.9L Magnum V8 that was retired around 2002. :happy107:

As previously mentioned, aftermarket gas caps are hit and miss. Best bet is an OEM cap.
Oh crap! That was a straight up autopilot text there... Was starting to have problems with my old '97, just used to typing that. Good catch... Oh wait, I really did that to see how long it would take everyone to notice. Hahahahaha

OP
OP
jssmith76

jssmith76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Oh, yeah... OEM cap... I'll give that a try.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will second the OEM cap. I had the same issue on a Silverado and it wasn't until I replaced the gas cap with an OEM that my problem went away.