Odd Wind Leak/Whistle at Highway Speed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
OK folks, here an issue I've never come across or been able to find any info on. My 2020 Laramie Crew Cab has developed a really odd wind noise/whistle at speed above 65 mph. It has started during past 1000 miles or so (31k miles on the truck).

The odd part is that it's not caused by outside air trying to enter the cab. It's caused by pressurized air from the HVAC system trying to escape the cab. It blowing past my driver's door seal and the driver's window seal where the glass meets the interior door panel. It stops when the HVAC system is put on "Recirculation" since the cabin isn't being over pressurized or when I slightly lower one of the other windows.

I've foundc the 2 cabin air exhaust vents located in the body pannel near the lower portion of the back doors. They do not appear to be blocked. Nothing is stored under the back seat where I assume cabin air enters the discharge vents. The door seals are good and the doors seem to be perfectly adjusted and tight.

Yes, the truck is still under warranty and I plan to take it in. But I am 1500 miles away from home on an extended trip and am hopping there is a simple issue that I am missing to keep me from getting further irritated on my trip back home.

Any ideas?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a big exhaust vent behind the rear seats maybe it is stuck closed.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
These are air pressure vents, without them, you would have to roll down a window a bit to close a door
Instead having to slam your door shut

1645766455292.png

1645766559750.png

1645766808908.png

1645766884151.png

OP
OP
B

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
There is a big exhaust vent behind the rear seats maybe it is stuck closed.
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I looked around under the back seat but I didn't see anything. I will dig around deeper.

Do you know if it can be seen from under the seat bottom or is it higher up behind the seat back cushion?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your cabin air filter below the glove box on passenger side, some have been making this wind noise, it's really loose in the channel, I've used duct tape and cut strips of it to make it tighter in the channel.

OP
OP
B

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Thanks but mine's fine. It's confined to air escaping the cabin around my driver's window and seal.